Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AP 2.0 on submitted orders

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That doesn't make sense. The line isn't manufacturing AP 1.0 cars anymore. All cars being built have Hardware 2.0.

Apparently, Autopilot 2.0 hardware will run only Autopilot 1.0 features if people decide to stick with their existing orders. Check out the text below.

Hello,

We recently announced that all Tesla vehicles produced in our factory, including your car, have the new hardware needed for Enhanced Autopilot and ultimately Full Self-Driving capability, at a safety level substantially greater than that of a human driver. With this new hardware come two options not previously available: Enhanced Autopilot and Full Self-Driving. These options are available for upgrade now and take the Tesla driving experience to a new level. Now is the perfect opportunity to upgrade your configuration so you can enjoy Enhanced Autopilot features such as automatic lane change, on-ramp to off-ramp navigation, advanced Autosteer and Summon as they roll out.

Simply click the upgrade button below to review and make these enhancements to your current configuration prior to taking delivery, and take advantage of our pre-delivery pricing.

If you choose not to upgrade, your car will delivered with the options you configured, without Enhanced Autopilot features. Post-delivery upgrades will be subject to a $1,000 surcharge.

Thank you for your support and we’re excited for your upcoming delivery. Source

So they are asking you to pay $2500 in addition to the $2500 you already paid for AP v1 to get AP+? Well that is very strange, it means that they would maintain v1 functionality on v2 hardware only for the ones that had cars on order that don't want to upgrade? All this validation of reduced functionality for a few hundreds cars at best? Does not make any sense, they should give it for free to those lucky folks.

Why would you think that the AP1 level would only be for a few hundred cars at best?
  • You have to figure that there was at least of month of orders pending, and they are making cars at a rate of ~2,300/week. So easily 10k cars, and we know people had scheduled deliveries up to 6 months out so likely many more than that. (Of course who knows how many order AP1.)
  • My guess is that the 1 camera AP Convenience Features is the level that a full EAP will gracefully fall to if too many of the other cameras get blocked and/or fail. (So if you are going down a muddy road and all of the extra cameras get mudded over rather than totally disable the system it falls back to one camera mode with limited functionality.)
So I don't think they will be wasting any time/money for just a very small group.

What will the Enhanced do that the 1.0 doesn't do? Match speed to traffic conditions. Doesn't it already do that with the adaptive cruise? Automatically change lanes. Cool, but not worth $2,000 to me. I've never been too annoyed by having to turn on my blinker and change lanes. Kind of fun actually. Although AP1 already changes lanes for you when you turn on your blinker. Exit the freeway when close to your destination. Elon said 1.0 would do that with version 8.1, so that doesn't count. I can't imagine they are going to make the active safety features any less effective for those that aren't paying for Enhanced AP. That would be pretty unethical. So I guess it comes down to paying more, so you can pay even less attention to where you're going. Not worth it IMO. My brain is already getting mushier from relying on the GPS to tell me where to go. I don't need to be even more mentally lazy than I already am..

Last edited:
Reactions: Gentilly7
What will the Enhanced do that the 1.0 doesn't do?

Here is what they list:
  • Smart Summon
  • Self-park when near a parking spot
  • Autosteer+
  • Automatic lane change
  • On-ramp to off-ramp navigation
  • Transition from one freeway to another
  • Match speed to traffic conditions (Not sure if this is just TACC or enhanced to account for weather/construction/etc.)

Reactions: pjoseph
Here is what they list:
  • Smart Summon
AP1: You have to watch it like a hawk or you might have to pay a lot for damage:

http://insideevs.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/model-s-crash-on-summon-via-KSL-3.jpg

AP2: You are on manual for several months until December 2016 and incrementally, your system would learn how to avoid troubles to the point that you push on your phone and your car would come to you even from across the country.
  • Self-park when near a parking spot
AP1: It cannot rely on its self-parking: Again, you have to watch it like a hawk or it might whack a pick up truck in front (but this owner did watch it like a hawk)

Tesla Model S Hits Truck While Automatically Parallel Parking - Video + Image

AP2: It will incrementally learns to to avoid trouble to the point that it can go around and around a full parking lot until it can find someone just left an available parking space and park itself. All this on its own.

• Autosteer+
AP1: You have to watch it like a hawk or you might have to pay a lot for damage:

Tesla Owner in Autopilot Crash Won’t Sue, But Car Insurer May

Tesla says that driver didn’t use Autopilot properly in Model X accident in Montana [Full Statement]

• Automatic lane change
AP1: Again, the keyword is: "You have to watch it like a hawk": Before you want to change lane, it is your responsible to watch for a speeding bullet traveling from behind trying to overtake you. You have to manually accept that responsibility by turning on a turn signal each time. Germany criticizes this system as "dangerous."

AP2: Incrementally, the system gets better to the point that the system does it for you. No need to turn on on a turn signal.

• On-ramp to off-ramp navigation
AP1: Again, the keyword is: "You have to watch it like a hawk": early reports on unintentional freeway exits but it's getting better now.

AP2: Incrementally, the system gets better to the point that the system does this for you.

• Transition from one freeway to another

AP1: Again, the keyword is: "You have to watch it like a hawk": Version 8 added this function.

AP2: Incrementally, the system gets better to the point that the system does this for you.
  • Match speed to traffic conditions
AP1: Again, the keyword is: "You have to watch it like a hawk" or it might whack a traffic cone:

A Public Letter to Mr. Musk and Tesla For The Sake Of All Tesla Driver's Safety

or hit a stationary vehicle then you have to justify whose fault it is:

"Arianna Simpson, a venture capitalist in San Francisco, said the Autopilot in her Model S “did absolutely nothing” when the car she was following on Interstate 5 near Los Angeles changed lanes, revealing another car parked on the highway.

Her Model S rammed into that car, she said, damaging both vehicles but causing no major injuries.

Tesla responded that the April crash was her fault because she hit the brakes right before the collision, disengaging Autopilot. Before that, the car sounded a collision warning as it should have, the car’s data show.

“So if you don’t brake, it’s your fault because you weren’t paying attention,” said Ms. Simpson, 25. “And if you do brake, it’s your fault because you were driving.”

She doesn’t expect to use Autopilot much once her Model S is repaired, partly because she thinks she would constantly second-guess the automated-driving system."

In summary, AP1 is safe as long as, again, You have to watch it like a hawk !

AP2 is safer and incrementally, it will relieve you of babysitting job for the system to the point of driverless driving.

Last edited:
Does it really say "watch it like a hawk" in the manual? The reason you have to watch it like a hawk is because the hardware is AP1. We will have new hardware but with features limited to that of AP1. Do you really think Tesla will let it hit cars when parking and changing lanes just because we didn't pay for Enhanced. That would be crazy.

Does it really say "watch it like a hawk" in the manual? The reason you have to watch it like a hawk is because the hardware is AP1. We will have new hardware but with features limited to that of AP1. Do you really think Tesla will let it hit cars when parking and changing lanes just because we didn't pay for Enhanced. That would be crazy.

No! Not word by word!

But if you want a legal language example from the manual and there are much more:

"Never depend on Traffic-Aware Cruise Control to adequately slow down Model S. Always watch the road in front of you and be prepared to take corrective action at all times. Failure to do so can result in serious injury or death."

"...Never depend on Auto Lane Change to determine an appropriate driving path. Drive attentively by watching the road and traffic ahead of you, checking the surrounding area, and monitoring the instrument panel for warnings. Always be prepared to take immediate action..."

"...Autosteer may not steer Model S appropriately. Always drive attentively and be prepared to take immediate action...."

"...During the parking sequence, continually check your surroundings. Be prepared to apply the brakes to avoid vehicles, pedestrians, or objects..."

I see your point about the ethic implications of paying for safety and not paying for a less safe system. I am just trying to inform you of the choices that Tesla gives you.

Unfortunately, I have never owned any Tesla stock to go to a Shareholders Meeting and convene an ethic committee.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: hiroshiy
@MP3Mike Many will probably upgrade to AP+, but even with a few thousand cars with V2 hardware and v1 functionality, Tesla now has created a specific branch of software for arguably a very small number of vehicle. It will cost them more to train and maintain and test for each new release. It is likely that they'll end up moving everyone to AP+ at some point, like they gave Nav to non Tech Package cars after a couple of years.

Last edited:
@MP3Mike Many will probably upgrade to AP+, but even with a few thousand cars with V2 hardware and v1 functionality, Tesla now has created a specific branch of software for arguably a very small number of vehicle. It will cost them more to train and maintain and test for each new release. It is likely that they'll end up moving everyone to AP+ at some point, like they gave Nav to non Tech Package cars after a couple of years.
I could see that happening eventually as well. After receiving the email this morning, I received a call from Tesla this afternoon. I went ahead and upgraded to Enhanced Autopilot but will hold off on adding full self-driving for another year or so.

@MP3Mike...like they gave Nav to non Tech Package cars after a couple of years...

One correction:

Tesla made Navigation standard on newly built cars at that time but it NEVER retroactively gives away free Navigation to those who did not pay for the feature prior to that timeline.

For those owners who originally did not pay for that feature but then wanted to pay for it after delivery, they were told to trade in their cars.

• Informative
Reactions: MorrisonHiker
I see your point about the ethic implications of paying for safety and not paying for a less safe system. I am just trying to inform you of the choices that Tesla gives you.

Unfortunately, I have never owned any Tesla stock to go to a Shareholders Meeting and convene an ethic committee.
So Tesla says they are going to dumb down the system if we don't pay the extra for Enhanced? Do you have an example of them saying this or is it just your guess? I think it will do everything AP1 does, but better. It wouldn't make sense for them to try to replicate AP1's limitations. It just won't do those things that AP1 doesn't do, like change lanes automatically. It's not really about ethics. It's about common sense.

So Tesla says they are going to dumb down the system if we don't pay the extra for Enhanced? Do you have an example of them saying this or is it just your guess? I think it will do everything AP1 does, but better. It wouldn't make sense for them to try to replicate AP1's limitations. It just won't do those things that AP1 doesn't do, like change lanes automatically. It's not really about ethics. It's about common sense.

No! The legal language is not exactly "dumb down" but it does mean exactly that: Do you still want to keep an obsolete system that you previously configured that you have to watch it like a hawk?:

Please read what @beths11 shared from Tesla email sent to her:

"We recently announced that all Tesla vehicles produced in our factory, including your car, have the new hardware needed for Enhanced Autopilot and ultimately Full Self-Driving capability, at a safety level substantially greater than that of a human driver.

With this new hardware come two options not previously available: Enhanced Autopilot and Full Self-Driving.

These options are available for upgrade now and take the Tesla driving experience to a new level.

Now is the perfect opportunity to upgrade your configuration so you can enjoy Enhanced Autopilot features such as automatic lane change, on-ramp to off-ramp navigation, advanced Autosteer and Summon as they roll out.

Simply click the upgrade button below to review and make these enhancements to your current configuration prior to taking delivery, and take advantage of our pre-delivery pricing.

If you choose not to upgrade, your car will delivered with the options you configured, without Enhanced Autopilot features. Post-delivery upgrades will be subject to a $1,000 surcharge."

enjoy Enhanced Autopilot features such as automatic lane change, on-ramp to off-ramp navigation, advanced Autosteer and Summon as they roll out.

Autosteer and Summon are already features of AP1. Who knows what that advanced part is? Is that where it actually stays on the road and doesn't run into things? Sorry about your car running off the road and flipping over sir. You should have paid for Enhanced AP when you had the chance. I'll take my chances and let you know what features I'm missing in three months. If the car has truck lust, takes exits by accident, and runs itself into trailers during summoning, you must be right. Well, as long as the Enhanced systems aren't misbehaving in the same manner.