Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AP 2.0 on submitted orders

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I assume the keep within a lane they are referring to is "Autosteer+" which can handle roads that AP1 will never be able to handle.

Self park is not already there, nothing in AP1 can find a parking spot and park once you get out at the front door. (Summon can only move straight forward or backward.)

And the summon from the garage in EAP is "Smart Summon" that can navigate around objects/corners, which summon in AP1 can't.

I think Tesla figured out that they couldn't do with AP1 everything that they thought they could.

A little bit OT, but new AP2 hardware equipped Model X will NOT have autopilot NOR TACC for the first three months in the US, correct?

In Tesla blog it says:
"While this is occurring, Teslas with new hardware will temporarily lack certain features currently available on Teslas with first-generation Autopilot hardware, including some standard safety features such as automatic emergency braking, collision warning, lane holding and active cruise control."

No lane holding = no autosteer
No active cruise control = no TACC

A little bit OT, but new AP2 hardware equipped Model X will NOT have autopilot NOR TACC for the first three months in the US, correct?

In Tesla blog it says:
"While this is occurring, Teslas with new hardware will temporarily lack certain features currently available on Teslas with first-generation Autopilot hardware, including some standard safety features such as automatic emergency braking, collision warning, lane holding and active cruise control."

No lane holding = no autosteer
No active cruise control = no TACC

And no AEB, SCW, FCW, etc...

Reactions: hiroshiy
So, I am one of the many here who have a car on order with the AP1 functionality.. and I have been mulling it over in my head now for a few days trying to figure out if I have been "cheated" or "gifted". I guess in the end it feels like a bit of both.
Went through the same thought process . We are undoubtedly lucky! Imagine the *poor* souls who ordered this a day earlier than the cut off window. Having said that I feel we should get the freebie 2K upgrade :) that would seal the luck. I'm confident if you wait ( may be 6 + months ) they will just upgrade for free. But I genuinely fear the safety of an AP software on an EAP hardware .

I was torn too, but we have been blessed with AP2 hardware, so it seems silly to just settle for AP1 software. I think I will pony up the extra and just get enhanced AP.

I think that's a great decision. A decent Accident Avoidance or Driverless Technology is not cheap.

It was affordable with AP1 because it cannot cope with quite a few scenarios such as from stationary vehicles to missing lane markings... and it requires a strict competent alert driver to handle it.

AP2 is a whole different platform. It's AI, artificial Intelligence, Deep machine learning together with your car sensors and neural network.

It requires lots of processing power!

If you follow the thread:

US$15.000 NVIDIA DRIVE PX 2 supercomputer in every Tesla?

You would see that mostly likely it consists of:

1) Nvidia Drive PX 2 motherboard with a suggested price of $15,000 (fifteen thousand with 3 zeros!)
2) An Nvidia GP 102 Graphic Processing Unit to go with the motherboard. I don't know how much it costs but a whole Nvidia Titan X graphic card with that chip costs about $1,200.

According to Nvidia website, you need at least 2 discrete Graphic Processing Units to run the above board for point-to-point travel and for Driverless, you need "multiple" boards.

Of course, Tesla could have a contract to buy those for its almost half a million cars for the coming years (Model ≡ alone is about 400,000) so above prices should be significant lower.

Whatever the price that you see now, it is still a bargain!

Last edited:
Reactions: hiroshiy
I was torn too, but we have been blessed with AP2 hardware, so it seems silly to just settle for AP1 software. I think I will pony up the extra and just get enhanced AP.

I spoke to a Tesla owner that has AP1 hardware, but it was not activated at delivery.
He told me Tesla contacted him within a month or two of delivery and offered a free 1 month trial of the auto pilot software being activated. Then at the end, Tesla offered to leave it on permanently for $2,000.

There was no penalty. That was about the same price as when the car was new. He still declined because he wasn't interested. But I found the story interesting.

I think the point is that after delivery Tesla is likely to try to get you to activate EAP or Full AP. They will likely offer you a free trial month. And I suspect it is very negotiable as to the price you pay. You can likely negotiate away any penalties and get the original price. That is what they have done with AP1 owners in the past year if they are smart enough to play hard to get with Tesla.

...if they are smart enough to play hard to get with Tesla...

Very interesting story!

Some people just does not like automation so they wouldn't pay for it at any price.

Others might be enticed because of incentives.

Some people can wait an unpredictable wait and see whether Tesla will offer an incentive for activation in future.

Others just want to have control of their lives and timing so they are willing to pay timely for that privilege.

Whatever works for your situations!

I received an official email from Tesla this morning to upgrade to the new enhanced autopilot. My MX60 order was placed back in July with AP for $2500, but I had it pushed back to December for delivery. Now I have the option to upgrade for an additional $2500 for enhanced AP or $5500 for the whole Full Self Driving + EAP package! So glad that my solid white MX, which is now a rare breed, will be getting the new AP hardware 2.0!

Reactions: jnuyens
So they are asking you to pay $2500 in addition to the $2500 you already paid for AP v1 to get AP+? Well that is very strange, it means that they would maintain v1 functionality on v2 hardware only for the ones that had cars on order that don't want to upgrade? All this validation of reduced functionality for a few hundreds cars at best? Does not make any sense, they should give it for free to those lucky folks.

I received an official email from Tesla this morning to upgrade to the new enhanced autopilot. My MX60 order was placed back in July with AP for $2500, but I had it pushed back to December for delivery. Now I have the option to upgrade for an additional $2500 for enhanced AP or $5500 for the whole Full Self Driving + EAP package! So glad that my solid white MX, which is now a rare breed, will be getting the new AP hardware 2.0!

I received the same email this morning but haven't chosen the Enhanced Autopilot upgrade yet. I was kind of of hoping for a price correction like they've done in the past with some options but it's probably not going to happen this time.

Does not make any sense, they should give it for free to those lucky folks.

I wish! :rolleyes:

Can you post your email here? I didn't receive anything this morning.
Hello xxxxxxxxx

We recently announced that all Tesla vehicles produced in our factory, including your car, have the new hardware needed for Enhanced Autopilot and ultimately Full Self-Driving capability, at a safety level substantially greater than that of a human driver. With this new hardware come two options not previously available: Enhanced Autopilot and Full Self-Driving. These options are available for upgrade now and take the Tesla driving experience to a new level. Now is the perfect opportunity to upgrade your configuration so you can enjoy Enhanced Autopilot features such as automatic lane change, on-ramp to off-ramp navigation, advanced Autosteer and Summon as they roll out.
Simply click the upgrade button below to review and make these enhancements to your current configuration prior to taking delivery, and take advantage of our pre-delivery pricing.

If you choose not to upgrade, your car will delivered with the options you configured, without Enhanced Autopilot features. Post-delivery upgrades will be subject to a $1,000 surcharge.

Thank you for your support and we’re excited for your upcoming delivery.

Sorry, don't know how to post the direct email without including my "upgrade" button, so the above is the exact verbiage.

Still awaiting an email, or anything from my DS. I might have to take the initiative.

If we are technically editing the order after the fact, I wonder if I can make other changes without a fee since car doesn't enter production until November

Still awaiting an email, or anything from my DS. I might have to take the initiative.

If we are technically editing the order after the fact, I wonder if I can make other changes without a fee since car doesn't enter production until November
This did not come from my DS. Here is the email address it came from:
[email protected]

Make sure your profile on Tesla.com has you subscribed for updates with the correct email address.