Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AP 2.0 So much negativity!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I often read TMC and contribute my own non-sense at times. :)
But I am surprised at the negative slant so many seem to have with the AP 2.0 announcement.
Many comments regarding the video with heavy criticism on the "2 lanes" "wrong lane" "vaporware" "driver touching steering wheel" etc...... Jeez people this is the first Tesla driving fully autonomously and a pretty cool video.
Is it perfect? Of course not! It is the FIRST time any of us have seen it and the hardware will be on all currently built models. I missed it by 2 months but i'm cool with that. I leased :)
It will be over a year before it is even close to perfected. 2.0 now needs to learn like 1.0 did.
I remember when I first starting driving my S 2 months ago the AP was finicky at best. I had to take over often, almost rear-ending a truck once. It is so much better now and I can clearly see the lessons learned.
I personally was shocked AP 2.0 happened so quickly. I figured next year the earliest.
OK It was not Model 3 specific and I don't know why Elon tweeted it would be. Elon can at times be..........hype driven? :rolleyes:
TMC is great for Tesla information with plenty of helpful members.
But I think many of you can back away from the ledge, 1.0 is still awesome! 2.0 is another punch to the gut of the big auto-makers.

Truly you don't realize all the things people have to complain about before you hop on a forum like this. I mean things as stupid as people passionately disliking the toy car on the instrument panel of the classic cars. It's just not something I ever considered.

This is the first I've stepped on this forum since the AP 2.0 announcement. If people are hating on it that's perplexing to me because the system seems to have completely leapfrogged Level 3 and 4 autonomy and skipped to level 5, years before anyone was even expecting level 4 in a production car. That is so beyond incredible to me and the implications for the auto industry as a whole are huge.

If Tesla pulls this off, we're seeing peak automobile manufacturing now. 5 - 10 years from now new car sales will have dropped dramatically as it will become increasingly unnecessary to have multiple vehicles or to have a vehicle at all. We are witnessing a paradigm shift. How people can hate on that is totally beyond my grasp.

Last edited:
I agree, it's not like they released a blog about it and then nothing more...they also showed an example of it in action. Sure the new hardware needs time to calibrate, makes sense, so maybe a year max, but nothing like 2 to 5. Come on now....

Many comments regarding the video with heavy criticism on the "2 lanes" "wrong lane" "vaporware" "driver touching steering wheel" etc...... Jeez people this is the first Tesla driving fully autonomously and a pretty cool video.
Is it perfect? Of course not! It is the FIRST time any of us have seen it and the hardware will be on all currently built models. I missed it by 2 months but i'm cool with that.

I have not seen heavy criticism. The citicism about the wrong lane is a valid criticism. Why should it be forbidden to talk about it? What I have read, nobody made a drama, because the system is still unfinished and of course it will choose the correct lane in a year.

But I think it is horrible to insult and bash people like Calisnow did in the fifth post of this thread. I am really shocked how low a person can go on this forum...

I think this stuff is crazy cool. I am upgrading my vintage 2013 Model S for AP2, dual motors and all of the other crazy new features I have been missing out on for the past 3 years. This sh!t is crazy amazing.

Sign me up for full AP2 features. Can't buy a Tesla and just get 90% of the fun. Get the full fun features. Don't tell your friends and scare the cr@p out of them when driving by going full AP.

But I think it is horrible to insult and bash people like Calisnow did in the fifth post of this thread. I am really shocked how low a person can go on this forum...

Screen Shot 2016-10-21 at 5.47.51 PM.png

Screen Shot 2016-10-21 at 5.49.53 PM.png

• Funny
Reactions: Shumdit and EinSV
I'm excited for AP2 and was so amazed when I watched the video that I had to go and show my wife. Her reply was a little deflating and it went like this.... "Why in the hell would you want something like that? It totally defeats the purpose around your passion for driving". :)

What's the point of full autonomy in a performance model? Not sure it will decide to go 0-60 in 2.5 seconds very often :)

My joined date doesn't prove it but I've monitored this forum since before Roadster days. If you go back in time, this sort of wave of negativity has come and gone with each of the technical and styling refreshes.

The waves vary in size but they all pass pretty quickly and despite what many have suggested, resale values remain strong across the board. Looking forward to more fun posts soon.

If you go back in time, this sort of wave of negativity has come and gone with each of the technical and styling refreshes.

True. I have been on different forums throughout the years and of course there will always be complainers. I don't take it as whining though, usually constructive criticism here on TMC. I was pretty amazed and excited about the AP, so yes while I expect some unhappy campers I really thought it would be mostly positive. After all we have been talking about full autonomy for years. Tesla jumped ahead many months (years?) with this announcement. So many members have said they will wait for AP 2 hardware before ordering. Well, it's here order away! :)
I remember many complaints about the re-fresh but to me I decided to order because of it. I never liked the old nose.
The affordable 60kwh may have had something to do with it as well. :)
TMC is a great forum that lets me get my inner Tesla out when my wife tires of hearing my rants.

Reactions: krazineurons
I have not seen heavy criticism. The citicism about the wrong lane is a valid criticism. Why should it be forbidden to talk about it? What I have read, nobody made a drama, because the system is still unfinished and of course it will choose the correct lane in a year.

The lane question is the most fascinating question of them all, and should be dissected.

I don't agree that the car screwed up. If you recorded that same spot going into the parking lot every day for a week you would likely find that a lot of people did the same thing.

Is a car really supposed to follow rules of the road EXACTLY? Or can it deviate a bit when it's a bit ridiculous?

Do you teach a car through example? or through rigid rules.

The video also is evidence that maybe this is the wrong approach. Maybe the road should tell the car how to handle the road.

• Disagree
Reactions: HumanGenome
Hype leads to lawsuits and trouble for the company. I have no problem with them working on autonomous driving. People seem to want it, so Tesla should work on it. But I do have a problem with the expectations they are leading people into. People who speak much as you do may well be suing Tesla in a few years when things don't go as swiftly and seamlessly as they expected. If the backlash gets too great, it could doom the company when previously excited people start grabbing their pitchforks and torches. People are fickle and they can turn on you when overly ambitious expectations aren't met.

What's the point of full autonomy in a performance model? Not sure it will decide to go 0-60 in 2.5 seconds very often :)

Full autonomy is super important with a performance model!

After you've addled your brain several times with several launches (note the extra space you have around your brain, Homer....). You'll have to get some of that free Ethanol being concocted out of CO2 by some crazy chemist (there's a thread about it round here) to make things right.

That's when you use autonomy to get yourself home. Just like them horses back in the day... ;)

• Funny
Reactions: Model S M.D.
The lane question is the most fascinating question of them all, and should be dissected.

I don't agree that the car screwed up. If you recorded that same spot going into the parking lot every day for a week you would likely find that a lot of people did the same thing.

Is a car really supposed to follow rules of the road EXACTLY? Or can it deviate a bit when it's a bit ridiculous?

Do you teach a car through example? or through rigid rules.

The video also is evidence that maybe this is the wrong approach. Maybe the road should tell the car how to handle the road.

It should err on following the rules of the road. Take the example of the politician. Most people think they are all crooked, and they think they get into that mindset because everyone is doing it, so they assume it's okay. But most of the time, but the public's judgement, it is not. Err on following the rules of the road. Stay on the correct side of the yellow line. If the yellow line doesn't make sense, use the proper channels to get the yellow line moved. In the video, the car was in error by going over the yellow line. I don't really care though, because I know it's not ready for prime time, and it still did pretty well overall for an early demo.