Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AP use on local roads after 2018.12

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

bhakan

MSLR MSM/Blk/19/FSD, Ord 6/10/21, Del 2/20/22
Jan 2, 2018
Bethesda, MD
After 2018.10.4 release I started to notice that I can engage AP on local roads where the speed limit is 25 mph. Since I do drive on local roads quiet a bit I would engage. I can;t do autolane change. but it was good for stop and go traffic. The only limit was that autosteer will not let me go above 30 mph on 25 speed limit zone. It worked great and my range improved. Then I got 2018.12 two weeks back. Now i can engage AP right after a traffic light when I start to move. Except turning and lane changing I let AP do the driving for me under my supervision. Less stressful to drive in my big metro area. It even applies brake swiftly if a car suddenly comes to my lane or a car on an oncoming lane turns left ahead of me. I am monitoring the AP carefully and be ready to take over. Huge improvement. Well done Tesla! Have others noticed this?

• Informative
Reactions: boaterva
I've had my MS for 6+mos now (w/ AP1) and have been able to engage on local roads for a while, as long as there are clear lane markings (or defined curbs). I believe the 5mph limit is in place on speed limits up to 55 - once the speed limit is higher than that AP will let you set up to 10 over (I believe?).

FWIW, I'm still on 2018.6.1

Reactions: selfbp
I've had my MS for 6+mos now (w/ AP1) and have been able to engage on local roads for a while, as long as there are clear lane markings (or defined curbs). I believe the 5mph limit is in place on speed limits up to 55 - once the speed limit is higher than that AP will let you set up to 10 over (I believe?).

FWIW, I'm still on 2018.6.1
Yes. I have used in the local roads in the past. What is new and that surprised me was that I could engage AP sitting at the red light and use it as long as there was a car ahead of me.

Yes. I have used in the local roads in the past. What is new and that surprised me was that I could engage AP sitting at the red light and use it as long as there was a car ahead of me.
That’s been the case for many updates though 2018.10.4 made going through intersections a lot more reliable compared to before.

If there’s a car in front of you, you can engage AP if your foot is off the brake. So usually I’ll come to a stop, engage brake hold, then engage AP.

New software has ruined autopilot function on secondary roads: maximum set speed is speed limit plus 5 mph. You can get faster speeds, but only if you use only TACC, not autosteer. I now frequently have to see: "Autostart Speed Limited to ...". Very annoying. Makes autopilot useless on secondary roads often.

Yes. The advisory I get is "Auto steer is not available" when the traveling speed is +5 above the speed limit on local roads. I could press the accelerator and increase the speed and Autopilot still seems to be engaged at least. It does not kill autopilot like when I turn the steering wheel.

New software has ruined autopilot function on secondary roads: maximum set speed is speed limit plus 5 mph. You can get faster speeds, but only if you use only TACC, not autosteer. I now frequently have to see: "Autostart Speed Limited to ...". Very annoying. Makes autopilot useless on secondary roads often.
And why do you think it should be working on secondary roads?

AP2 works great in local roads even with marginal lane lines where AP1 would struggle or give up. Centers perfectly and takes curves smoothly centered as long as i go at the speed limit or not more than a few miles more. I actually feel more confident in AP2 driving on local roads than AP1.

The thing that is missing in AP2 though is lane changes on local roads. Not a big deal, but still it is a nice to have.

Reactions: pilotSteve
I found AP to be very safe at the speed limit. At 5+ I am more careful and watching with bit more intent. I would never try at higher speeds than that. I follow that rule even in highways. 70 is the limit and max I go is at 75.

Quick question for thos longtime or everyday autopilot or TACC users. Have you ever had an instance where the TACC didn't stop in response to stop and go traffic on the highway. I'm new to the AutoPilot scene, and so far have never had it mess up on me in this regard.

Never failed me on that aspect, but there is one edge case you should be cognizant of.

In a slow stop and go traffic often a car in front and on your next lane, will try to get into your lane very very slowly. AP will not identify those cars as being in your lane until atleast one wheel or 1/4th of the car is inside your lane. So in those situations your car will happily move forward and assuming they are in the lane to your right, the right front your Tesla will hit the other cars left rear . Slow speed fender bender situation.

The situation is the same at high speeds too, but at high speeds the gap between your cars are much higher and typically cars switch and get into your lane quickly. So the problem is manifested only in slow stop and go traffic.

You need to watch out for those conditions.

• Helpful
Reactions: arcus
Quick question for thos longtime or everyday autopilot or TACC users. Have you ever had an instance where the TACC didn't stop in response to stop and go traffic on the highway. I'm new to the AutoPilot scene, and so far have never had it mess up on me in this regard.
I would never say it works 100% on the highway if there is stop and go traffic as I tend to intervene sometimes earlier if a car suddenly cuts in front of me. Having said that if you are asking about the confidence level I would say the confidence level is over 85% for me.

Electroman&Bhakan, thanks for your wonderful replies, and great info. I will remain mindful of my Autopilot use. So far it's definitely relaxed me much more in stop and go traffic situations. Really enjoying that aspect. Thanks again for the wise advice/knowledge.

To the contrary, I think 2018.10.4 is the first update that made it quite reliable for me:

Before that, it was mishandling the crests, crossing over the shoulder line etc. Something I have warned about in my previous autopilot video.

Completely agree. Went from AP1 car to AP 2.5 and the AP is very much improved (after lagging AP 1 for quite a while). Biggest problem in past was cresting a hill. The car would wander and jerk around. My wife was quite unhappy... That problem (and others mentioned) are resolved. My concern is that they are putting so much attention into M3 production that Tesla is spending less time/resources on AP improvement. Also we MS owners are quickly becoming a small minority and the continuous improvement to AP in MS might become slower (unless the M3 and MS AP systems are benefiting equally from the same updates- I'm not a software guy so not sure how that works.)