Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AP1 17.26.17 Autopilot improvements

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

BrettS

Mar 28, 2017
Orlando, FL
17.26.17 was pushed to my AP1 car late last night and I got a chance to drive about 130 miles with it this evening and from my preliminary observations it seems to be a nice improvement. Before this I was on 17.24.28 which seemed to be a bit of a step backwards.

To me 17.24.28 seemed less stable and I had a couple of instances where it appeared not to detect cars that were stopped in front of me (it’s possible that it would have detected them eventually, but it started to get closer than I was comfortable with, so I turned off autopilot). But my previous software did not seem to have this issue.

There are several bridges on a highway that I often travel where the pavement turns from asphalt to concrete and 17.24.28 would consistently lose the lane lines while going over these bridges. The previous version did not have this issue.

I’m happy to report that 17.26.17 appears to have resolved all of these issues for me. It seems to be much smoother overall and there is one reasonably curvy road near my house that 17.26.17 now handles nearly flawlessly (it seemed to get very close to the center line a few times), but all of my previous software versions would have trouble with this road and often completely leave it’s lane unless I took over.

17.26.17 seems to detect cars stopped ahead of it much better than what I was seeing with 17.24.28 and possibly even better than the previous versions of the software, and finally I had no trouble with it losing the lane lines on the concrete bridges that 17.24.28 had so much trouble with.

I’m sure I’ll have more thoughts as I use it more over the coming days, but certainly for now it seems like 17.26.17 is a good improvement.

It is sometimes a bit difficult to say anything definitive about smalk tweaks, because the car can do the same road somewhat differently at different days. Sometimes it e.g. follows the left or the right or both lines in the same place with the same firmware.

I have AP1.

Reactions: commasign
17.26.17 got rid of the stupid +5mph restriction for me on divided roads (not freeway/highway) that 17.24.28 added. So it was a good update :D

I think this was actually a change that was made in the road classification system on the back end and not a software version change. I too had seen the more restrictive speed limit + 5 on pretty much all non highway roads about the time I installed 17.24.28, however several days ago I noticed that this had changed and I was now able to use autopilot at higher speeds on non highway divided roads even while I was still on 17.24.28. Installing 17.26.17 didn’t seem to make a change here.

I think here in Europe we're always a version behind, so I'm still on 17.26.17 (It was upgraded just two days ago). While there are upgrades regularly, for the last year they don't seem to do much. It seems like Tesla is endlessly tweaking and tuning the AP software - and unfortunately not always for the better. There are a number of turns or highway exits that the car (AP1) could easily take months ago, and now the car is approaching at a way too high speed, or botches the turn altogether.

Also, the number of times I've now to touch the wheel to confirm I'm there becomes almost an annoyance - sometimes as often as after 5 or 10s.

I understand AP2 is still catching up - still, for AP1 and the 3 or 4 updates I've got over the last 9 months or so, I cannot say that anything improved. And some real problems are still there, like the AP breaking for no reason at all (see Ghost Vehicle while using Model S AP1 Autosteer on Highway - Running 17.26.17 ).

Still happy, but it erodes a bit...

I beg to differ about 17.26.17 being better.

It is still trying to crash into the same sharp curve on my drive. Additionally, one time after autolane change, it swerved back into the original lane. There were no cars in the new lane or the old one. Filed a bug report and called support.

This one yesterday was bizarre. I tried to parallel park on the street. I slowed down and got the “P” icon. I put the car in reverse and hit start. The car started perpendicular parking into the traffic. Let me say that again. It started perpendicular parking, intending to the stick the rear of the car on the median yellow line. That was scary as hell. Again, called them and gave them the details. I have been driving the car since January and this is the first time that I have been so scared.

I beg to differ about 17.26.17 being better.

It is still trying to crash into the same sharp curve on my drive. Additionally, one time after autolane change, it swerved back into the original lane. There were no cars in the new lane or the old one. Filed a bug report and called support.

This one yesterday was bizarre. I tried to parallel park on the street. I slowed down and got the “P” icon. I put the car in reverse and hit start. The car started perpendicular parking into the traffic. Let me say that again. It started perpendicular parking, intending to the stick the rear of the car on the median yellow line. That was scary as hell. Again, called them and gave them the details. I have been driving the car since January and this is the first time that I have been so scared.
Can’t edit on mobile. This is AP2