Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AP1 ONLY Please -- life after 2018.50.6

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On a 5k road trip, have lots of time on my hands while charging...

The biggest impact to me on the 2019 updates has been reduction in SuC speed. I can live with, or been unaffected by the other "gates"

My first and last 5k road trip in late 2018, I saw 116 Kw at about 34% SoC.

Just now, saw 114Kw at 24%. This on a unpaired, 150kw stall.

In 2018, going from 30-80% was like 30 min. After the update, more like 45 min.

slowly, over the last year, I have seen a decrease in charging time. Some due to how I charge, some due I think to software unpayed rolling back battery and charge gates.

my guess is the charge time went from 45 back down to about 35.

Timing the charge now.

39 minutes from 24- 74% Not as much as I hoped for.

No, all I know is that the CAN bus shows the PTC heater comes on, typically at ambient temps. I tried it now, with OAT north of 90 deg, it did not come on.
There was someone here in TMC showing his fix on Model S PTC heater and on the video was clearly seen multiple sections on the heater core. So I believe if the user allows to “split” the heating on the new SW then it will turn on more sections on that heater to recoup the needed output.

The weirdest part of V11? When someone is in the passenger seat temp button presents itself. It is not there driving solo.
That makes sense but as usual there are unintended sidequences -- I often pre-warm the seat for my passenger (which is sometimes a pizza box :). That's OK, the seats heat up fast.

PTC heater
By the way, what's "PTC"? From context I assume it's the resistive heater, but the acronym doesn't speak to me.

• Funny
Reactions: dark cloud
That makes sense but as usual there are unintended sidequences -- I often pre-warm the seat for my passenger (which is sometimes a pizza box :). That's OK, the seats heat up fast.

By the way, what's "PTC"? From context I assume it's the resistive heater, but the acronym doesn't speak to me.
Should define terms. It is the resistive heater, AKA; Positive Temperature Coefficient. Not exactly something that is intuitive, acronym wise..

Yes....see sig....BTW, saw 114 Kw at an empty 250KW charger yesterday.
You saw 114 at 24% though. 33% or so is the CC-CV cutover point where the pack voltage is at max but the cells can still sink max current. What was your charge rate at the 33-34%?

Previously with reasonable California temps and none of what I consider to be thermal throttling, I’ll see >100kW through 50%. Really curious to see if I can replicate your 110ish through 63. That would be amazing.