Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AP1 ONLY Please -- life after 2018.50.6

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This morning for the first time since the update, the garage door button appeared on top of the rear view camera image. I have not gotten an update in several days, so I don't understand how this change occurred.

Maybe my tweet to Elon Musk beared fruit with an invisible update? ;):p
On a serious note, I still have the same issue. Can someone take a photo of the homelink icon above the camera screen to show me what I should be looking for?

I just got the new software and supercharged yesterday. I was at 33%soc and it ramped up to 102kWh before setting in at 98. I walked away and grabbed a Starbucks and came back. Charged 50% in 21 minutes and was still in the 60’s. Previously at this charger I’ve capped around 70 at this soc. Anyone else seeing better super rates?
Just to clarify : you went from 33% to 83% in 21’ ?

21 minutes not feet. I wanted to see if anyone else with an older car has seen faster charging rates with the newest update?

I haven't supercharged yet but someone else had reported faster charging on their 85D iirc. I was hoping to do some testing but haven't traveled enough to warrant a trip to the local Superchargers

FYI the ' symbol can mean minutes but typically used in maps: ° Degrees, ' Minutes, " Seconds
Lat/Lon Formats and Symbols

I would like to know as well if you went from 33 to 50, or 33 to 80% SoC.

Recent charge on older update...

I saw 108Kw at 26%, around 50Kw at 60%. Charge time was 35'

33% to 84% when I pulled out. From plug in to unplug was 21 minutes. because of covid I haven’t Super’d in a bit (my car hasn’t been affected by batterygate or chargegate) but this one is at the mall I go to. Last time I was there was back in February. I usually would get around 68kw at the same low soc (sub 30%) i was shocked when I saw it go over 100kw and then even stay at 98kw to charge at. When I unplugged it it was still charging at 61kw. I asked the person in the x next to me and he said that he was still running 2020.20.xx and he was seeing low charge rates. (Neither Of us were sharing)

33% to 84% when I pulled out. From plug in to unplug was 21 minutes. because of covid I haven’t Super’d in a bit (my car hasn’t been affected by batterygate or chargegate) but this one is at the mall I go to. Last time I was there was back in February. I usually would get around 68kw at the same low soc (sub 30%) i was shocked when I saw it go over 100kw and then even stay at 98kw to charge at. When I unplugged it it was still charging at 61kw. I asked the person in the x next to me and he said that he was still running 2020.20.xx and he was seeing low charge rates. (Neither Of us were sharing)

what battery do you have?

On a serious note, I still have the same issue. Can someone take a photo of the homelink icon above the camera screen to show me what I should be looking for?

Side note. My tunein icon is just one now. The old icon is gone after a reboot.

no change on the supercharging. The fast supercharging is still working for me.

Attachments

• E4527604-D524-4F2E-A57B-3B330C8C6BAA.jpeg
    E4527604-D524-4F2E-A57B-3B330C8C6BAA.jpeg
    200.7 KB · Views: 79
Reactions: CravingMender9
You do realize that with most garage door openers that's just a toggle, right? The garage door opener itself has no idea if it's being told "open" and receives the signal as the exact same. Open or Close are not discrete. It's like older TVs that just received an on/off command and just did the opposite of whatever they were currently doing. Now, with discrete commands, you can send a specif "on" or "off" command. Door doesn't care if it's open or closed when you send the other command it's going to do the other thing.

IMO there's just too much at stake to trust these cars to actuate garage doors at all.
Yes I know that the auto open/close is not a discrete command.

What I've found is that the car only triggers the "open" when I'm coming home/turning on to my driveway. It never triggers while I'm in my garage with the door open and I'm ready to drive it out. It has been 100% consistent in this regard.

Yes I know that the auto open/close is not a discrete command.

What I've found is that the car only triggers the "open" when I'm coming home/turning on to my driveway. It never triggers while I'm in my garage with the door open and I'm ready to drive it out. It has been 100% consistent in this regard.
...until it doesn't.

That's fine that you trust it but for me the limited reward of not having to press a button on a screen isn't worth the untold thousands in damage that could occur the first time it doesn't.

A lot of people afraid of their garage closing on them here but if your garage is following proper safety protocol, it should have sensors on it to reverse the door if anything is in the path (you can adjust these to be high enough for the belly of the car). Also, as a backup, torque sensors will reverse the door if there is any resistance before the ground, if set propertly. There's a dial on your head unit to adjust and test this.

Last edited:
A lot of people afraid of their garage closing on them here but if your garage is following proper safety protocol, it should have sensors on it to reverse the door if anything is in the path (you can adjust these to be high enough for the belly of the car). Also, as a backup, torque sensors will reverse the door if there is any resistance before the ground, if set propertly. There's a dial on your head unit to adjust and test this.

Numerous posts here and other places online tell you that "a lot of people are afraid of their garage door closing on them" for good reason. Even if it only ever happened once that's enough for me to not trust that I can't simply just press a single button on my display manually.

I can tell you as someone who had their overhead garage doors installed by a "professional" and then found out the hard way (a long 2x4 fell into the path of the garage door track where my wife didn't notice it as she was leaving for work and it folded the door panels in half before destroying the rail connector and a few other rail-related bits trying to close on it) that the limiters were maxed both up and down. Researching online and talking with other friends lead me to the conclusion that this is actually a fairly common practice among "professional" garage door companies. It takes too much time to tweak/test them and they're constantly coming back to "fix" a garage door that was the slightest bit too sensitive in either up or down adjustment. I'm not saying it's right, I'm just saying that's how it is. My experience isn't unique. I just treat garage door openers like firearms and don't point them at anything I'm not willing to destroy.

Given what I know now about garage door openers and the hit or miss nature of Tesla software I'm 100% fine pressing a single button my display (that automatically pops up, mind you) whenever I need to send an open/close command to my opener. I trust my own eyes and common sense MUCH more and prefer to utilize them over the whiz-bang special "features" Tesla offers. Don't get me wrong... some of these features are amazing and the assistance they offer is tremendous and worth worth whatever minimal "risk" is associated with them. The automatic garage door opening has a massive delta between potential for disaster versus the benefit when it works right. Not worth the risk for me but, again, others can beta test all day long because when their garage door eats their car it offers data points for Tesla to adjust and improve.

I cringe when I talk about people setting up their summon tied to the automatic garage door open/close feature. Yikes!

Numerous posts here and other places online tell you that "a lot of people are afraid of their garage door closing on them" for good reason. Even if it only ever happened once that's enough for me to not trust that I can't simply just press a single button on my display manually.

I can tell you as someone who had their overhead garage doors installed by a "professional" and then found out the hard way (a long 2x4 fell into the path of the garage door track where my wife didn't notice it as she was leaving for work and it folded the door panels in half before destroying the rail connector and a few other rail-related bits trying to close on it) that the limiters were maxed both up and down. Researching online and talking with other friends lead me to the conclusion that this is actually a fairly common practice among "professional" garage door companies. It takes too much time to tweak/test them and they're constantly coming back to "fix" a garage door that was the slightest bit too sensitive in either up or down adjustment. I'm not saying it's right, I'm just saying that's how it is. My experience isn't unique. I just treat garage door openers like firearms and don't point them at anything I'm not willing to destroy.

Given what I know now about garage door openers and the hit or miss nature of Tesla software I'm 100% fine pressing a single button my display (that automatically pops up, mind you) whenever I need to send an open/close command to my opener. I trust my own eyes and common sense MUCH more and prefer to utilize them over the whiz-bang special "features" Tesla offers. Don't get me wrong... some of these features are amazing and the assistance they offer is tremendous and worth worth whatever minimal "risk" is associated with them. The automatic garage door opening has a massive delta between potential for disaster versus the benefit when it works right. Not worth the risk for me but, again, others can beta test all day long because when their garage door eats their car it offers data points for Tesla to adjust and improve.

I cringe when I talk about people setting up their summon tied to the automatic garage door open/close feature. Yikes!

Interesting take...my home inspector tested all safety features of the garage before I closed on the sale, I think it's a required liability item. Like if you leave your water heater turned too high, liability falls on the homeowner, not the installer, there's a few legal cases about this.

Anyways, I set my close point to be 30 ft out from my garage, and it counts down. It pops up and says closing in 20 ft, 10 ft, then "closing now", and makes a chime. So I'm comfortable I could always hit the cancel button in time. And it has always triggered at the exact same spot in 4 years. I think it uses wheel distance as well as GPS.

Reactions: SmartElectric
Turns out that the next time I backed out of th garage, I could not see the Homelink icon. When I stopped, shifted to park, and pressed the Homelink icon, then shifted into reverse, Homelink icon remained on top of the rear view camera.

It looks like the work-around for this problem is to press the Homelink icon before shifting into reverse, then you can close the garage door as soon as you clear the doorway.

My garage door (and I assume many others) have hinges that protrude like very sharp blades. I have had not one but two cars damaged because the sensors will still let the door close when the car has cleared the door but it is still close enough for the hinges to scratch the paint. No way I am letting the door close by itself...

Reactions: Ostrichsak
My garage door (and I assume many others) have hinges that protrude like very sharp blades. I have had not one but two cars damaged because the sensors will still let the door close when the car has cleared the door but it is still close enough for the hinges to scratch the paint. No way I am letting the door close by itself...

Oh yeah..about 10% of the cars in my town have these telltale scratches on the bumpers..

Reactions: Ostrichsak and Vinc
Turns out that the next time I backed out of th garage, I could not see the Homelink icon. When I stopped, shifted to park, and pressed the Homelink icon, then shifted into reverse, Homelink icon remained on top of the rear view camera.

It looks like the work-around for this problem is to press the Homelink icon before shifting into reverse, then you can close the garage door as soon as you clear the doorway.

The way I would describe it is that if you have the Homelink menu (listing the various garage doors) open at the time you shift from Park to Reverse, it'll stay on the screen even though the rest of the icons on the top row go away. If you don't have the Homelink menu open when you shift into Reverse, you can't tap the Homelink icon to bring up the menu.

Bruce.