Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AP1 ONLY Please -- life after 2018.50.6

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just sharing my AP1 experiences so far. I’m on .36.11 and my MCU is still responsive despite having its original eMMC. This is probably due to the low mileage. My car was probably one of the last that received a 3G card so in a year it’ll be without connectivity here in the Netherlands as the provider will shut down 3G at the end of 2021. Will use this year to think on upgrading to MCU2.

As for FSD, I’m very happy with what AP1 can do. I have all the options and this is an awesome car to drive and own. As Tesla continues to evolve I see little need in premature replacements. As I have unlimited supercharging and battery prices will continue to drop I think I can drive this car for quite a while. Let’s see how I think about this in a year.

2412FAB1-156B-4BAC-A5CC-A42A400BC741.jpeg

20CAFE62-2C8D-484B-90A5-D4B74B50AFEE.jpeg

• Informative
Reactions: dark cloud
I read somewhere else that the car switched off Wifi as soon as you engaged D.

Try it, works for me, 2013 Model S 85 with 3g modem, car picks up my hotspot no problem on the go.

Caveat : at least it did on the firmware when I did this 6 months ago, with Tesla, anything can happen in firmware in 6 months eh?

Tesla actually has an FAQ item for this :
Connectivity

Can I get Premium Connectivity features by using a mobile hotspot?
Some features that are available to Standard Connectivity owners over Wi-Fi such as video streaming, Caraoke and the internet browser may also be accessed over mobile hotspots, subject to fees and restrictions of your mobile carrier.

^ doesn't say "on the move" or "sitting still", so again, check it out

Try it, works for me, 2013 Model S 85 with 3g modem, car picks up my hotspot no problem on the go.

Caveat : at least it did on the firmware when I did this 6 months ago, with Tesla, anything can happen in firmware in 6 months eh?

Tesla actually has an FAQ item for this :
Connectivity

^ doesn't say "on the move" or "sitting still", so again, check it out

My car has Premium Connectivity and 4G modem, but I tried connecting to a hotspot before out of curiosity.

As soon as I shift to D, the WiFi is disconnected.

My car has Premium Connectivity and 4G modem, but I tried connecting to a hotspot before out of curiosity.

As soon as I shift to D, the WiFi is disconnected.
pretty sure that's by design so that if you're connected to wifi at your home it switches to cellular once you begin moving. All you need to do is connect back to wifi manually. Mildly annoying but nothing is stopping you from re-connecting to your wifi/hotspot.

• Helpful
Reactions: SmartElectric
Damn. I can do any updates because my 12v needs to be replaced. I hope warranty will cover it.

? Your avatar is an old nose cone Model S, surely 4+ years old now, and you expect 12V battery is still under warranty?
I replaced my 12V battery in every gas car I ever owned, not once under warranty, very typical to fail 4 years in.
Or do I misunderstand?

? Your avatar is an old nose cone Model S, surely 4+ years old now, and you expect 12V battery is still under warranty?
I replaced my 12V battery in every gas car I ever owned, not once under warranty, very typical to fail 4 years in.
Or do I misunderstand?
It's normal for a 12V battery to start showing signs of wear by 4 years. From what I've heard, the Model S 12V wears extra fast though because of the way Tesla tops it up.

Or do I misunderstand?

I got a nose cone as well, but still under Tesla used warranty which does cover the 12v.

It's normal for a 12V battery to start showing signs of wear by 4 years. From what I've heard, the Model S 12V wears extra fast though because of the way Tesla tops it up.

Those are likely early reports, things improved in ~2015 or so.

Our early 2013 Model S (Vin 6000-ish) had a single 12V battery replacement in nearly 8 years, replaced almost exactly at 4 year point, the replacement has worked very well, no issues or warnings, Tesla may have improved the firmware and systems to keep the 12V working longer...

When my 12V failed about 3 years in I didn't think the warranty covered it so I replaced it myself with an aftermarket battery. From what I found out from my research, the early Model Ss had a poorer 12V than later cars. I think they changed to a more reliable battery in 2014.

I went with an aftermarket Li-ion that looks like the sealed lead acid battery to the car. The reviews were good and so far no issues.

• Informative
Reactions: SmartElectric