Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AP1 ONLY Please -- life after 2018.50.6

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi everyone!
I just took my AP1 2015 MS85D to the service center to have the latest update pushed to my car. But they told me that they wouldn’t be able to do that because I was already on the latest update for my MS which is weird because other AP1 cars have the latest update.
I’m on 2018.50.6

There isn't a single "latest" software update for Tesla vehicles, or even all Tesla vehicles of a given type (such as AP1 Model S). Years of crowd-sourced understanding the rationale behind why some vehicles get updates before others has not proven successful.

There sometimes can be an issue where an update gets "stuck" or somehow fails to apply, and in that case service center or other tech support might be needed. If you're drastically behind the curve, that actually might be worth an inquiry. But at this point, most AP1 cars are still on 2018.50.6 just like you (according to the TeslaFi firmware tracker).

Bruce.

Battery warmup is a welcome feature but I find it odd that the battery would need warming if you have been driving for certain amount of time: Is the battery not warm enough for optimal charging after operating the vehicle for say an hour?
From my research the minimum battery temp while in transit is 55F (unless range mode is on) and the ideal temp when you start supercharging is 68F. So in some cases (it's cold outside) when the battery temps is less than 68F and the S/X battery heater or driving caps the battery temp at 55F, it would be advantageous to have the heater warm up the battery a bit just before you get to the supercharger. Note in real cold situations you may never see this 68F since the driving energy and battery heater cannot get it there. But this would be extremely cold.

To net the above statement out a bit: Normal driving seems to favor a 55F battery while charging favors a battery at 68F.

• Informative
Reactions: dark cloud
There isn't a single "latest" software update for Tesla vehicles, or even all Tesla vehicles of a given type (such as AP1 Model S). Years of crowd-sourced understanding the rationale behind why some vehicles get updates before others has not proven successful.

There sometimes can be an issue where an update gets "stuck" or somehow fails to apply, and in that case service center or other tech support might be needed. If you're drastically behind the curve, that actually might be worth an inquiry. But at this point, most AP1 cars are still on 2018.50.6 just like you (according to the TeslaFi firmware tracker).

Bruce.
Thanks for clearing that up for me.

Sigh. S85D on 2018.50.6, and just got a software update notification. Not sure if I should take it or not, given my current "please don't break anything" attitude. What to do, what to do...

(I probably will in the end, since I'm a Tesla owner and I'm a geek, also this would be the first software update after an MCU replacement :eek: so I guess I ought to test it. But I'm probably gonna do some more perusal of the forums here before mashing the "Update' button.)

Bruce.

• Funny
Reactions: Gerk and aesculus
2014 P85 AP1 here.

Saturday I received 2019.8.6.3. "Hold" has always worked, and continued to do so with this update. It also added geo-location folding mirrors and dog mode. I too also noticed, and rejoiced, that torquing out of Autosteer keeps the max speed at what it was set at vs. whatever speed I was at when I torqued out.

Today the update fairy visited again and I got 2019.12.1.1 pushed to the car but haven't gone for a drive yet. I did play 2048 and some Lunar Lander in my driveway though. LOL.

My car is in for service and just received a notification on my phone that an update is available. What are we seeing, new, with 2019.12.1 on AP1 cars? Any issues?
Just received 12.1.1 on my P90DL (AP1)...a few new Atari games and preheating to supercharger (i just used max battery power before). No sign of support for 150kw charging.

Also, you can now track download of updates.

Sigh. S85D on 2018.50.6, and just got a software update notification. Not sure if I should take it or not, given my current "please don't break anything" attitude. What to do, what to do...

(I probably will in the end, since I'm a Tesla owner and I'm a geek, also this would be the first software update after an MCU replacement :eek: so I guess I ought to test it. But I'm probably gonna do some more perusal of the forums here before mashing the "Update' button.)

Bruce.

I will wait, don't need dog mode or geolocated folding mirrors that much

Reactions: aesculus
2019.12.1.1 just pushed to my car last night from 2018.50.6.
  • Basic AP test works same, no differences noted on short test.
  • MCU responsiveness seems the same (wonder if those feeling “snappier” just because of the reboot).
  • Insane mode works well as before. Have not tested Insane+ or launch control yet.
  • Summon works same.
  • Dog mode tested and works ok.
  • WiFi still seems flaky for some inexplicable reason. (Read somewhere it doesn’t like Wink; so will try disconnecting Wink hub to see if that resolves it.)
  • Pending tests: Geo folding mirrors, Atari, and launch control.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Vegas