Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AP1 ONLY Please -- life after 2018.50.6

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A bit off topic but I had a recent SC visit with a technician who was sent from the Fremont factory. He told me to reset the navigation history and trip computer regularly to keep the MCU1 system running better. He was right—when I notice sluggishness I clear those items and it speeds up.

But I don't want to reset the trip computer.... :oops:

Fyi, updated to 36.12.3. Max battery, launch mode etc still work (yay).

The usual still don't work (browser completely unusable now, push to talk still times out on first press)

AP seems a little quirky but it did the same with 12.2 but after 4 or 5 days, it sorted itself out.

The big issue for me is summon has become dumb. I have a 3 door garage, so the columns make it a bit tight. It's never had a problem putting the car in perfectly every time. Tonight it was like trying to get a golden retriever to take a bath. It refused to go into the garage. Also, when coming out, homelink didn't work automatically. I had to stop summon and push the homelink button before backing the car out. Summon took it out fine but it wouldn't go in. Grrrrr

I scheduled service for my car for the browser and voice issues. I have others as well, but thought I'd get those taken care of. They supposedly sent me an update, but that didn't do anything. The voice control works after the first failure. The browser is just terrible.

It's also kinda like Sentry Mode requires about 300W and a dashcam such as Blackvue, which has more features, uses 5W of power.

wow. That is an astounding amount of power for a video system. My home security system has 9 POE 1080p cameras with a server processing all the feeds plus all my home automation stuff is connected there. That whole system uses 60W.

Each trip is stored individually, then added together to give you the total
It sounds like only the “master” odometer is a simple counter and the resettable trip counters use a MySQL database back end to record data about every single drive - possibly just date, time, and location for start and end, but potentially MUCH more data such as speed samples every X seconds, GPS data about the route driven, etc.

If not designed well (wrong indexes, no indexes, bad queries, etc) performance can tank as the tables grow larger, and resetting an odometer may truncate these tables and restore performance for a time. I reset one odometer monthly.

I have never reset the trip A, B counters. So, these two counters are showing the same miles as my odometer showing on the IC.

Question: Are we talking about resetting trip A and/or B to gain MCU performance and not the IC odometer display (which needs a factory reset)?

I do not mind to reset A and B at all, but do not want to reset the master odometer shown on IC (factory reset).

I don’t think the car would allow the master odometer to be reset during a factory reset process. Odometer fraud would be rampant.

Thanks Nick. So, if I reset my trip A and B (which I've never done) what would that improve (supposedly)?

I got what the factory reset would do vs. a brand new MCU being installed confused (regarding the master odo being erased :))

Thanks Nick. So, if I reset my trip A and B (which I've never done) what would that improve (supposedly)?

I got what the factory reset would do vs. a brand new MCU being installed confused (regarding the master odo being erased :))
If my guess is true, the MCU wouldn’t have so much data to maintain for the trip meters. It is just a guess. I have not seen the code, but there are others who have who could tell me if my guess is correct or I’m not even close.

Finally updated from 2019.28.2.5 to 2019.32.12.8 last night. Did a charge overnight and I"m at the exact mileage at 90% (229) miles since my last update. Before that I was getting 233 miles. Not a huge difference but 4 mile drop with one update. Not a complaint, just and observation, I know some have seen huge range drops.

To change the subject a bit. There was some talk about how AP1 works with recent updates a few weeks ago. I don't use AP much as I don't drive rush hour traffic very often and haven't had much chance to take road trips. For my running around town driving the car is too much fun to let the computer do it. :)

I did just get back from a 2000+ mile round trip to California and did use AP here and there on the trip, but still found driving myself to be more pleasant. The more frequent nags is one of the downsides. It makes it less relaxing than just driving.

The truck affinity thing was mentioned a few weeks ago. This is where the car tends to drift toward truck as your passing them with AP on. I noticed this did happen with AP on, but I also noticed it with AP off. It seems like trucks drift towards my car as I pass them rather than the car drift towards the truck. At least that's my observation.

I have read about this for years, and have observed it myself, but I have always been skeptical. Without meaning to be being disrespectful, I wonder if it is mostly psychological. The Model S sits so low that the truck tires loom large as they pass, and the trucks and especially trailers might just seem to be really large and therefore closer. I do wonder, though...never seems to make sense that the car would somehow try to move closer, and I doubt the trucks would. So it is puzzling.