Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AP1 ONLY Please -- life after 2018.50.6

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Finally updated from 2019.28.2.5 to 2019.32.12.8 last night. Did a charge overnight and I"m at the exact mileage at 90% (229) miles since my last update. Before that I was getting 233 miles. Not a huge difference but 4 mile drop with one update. Not a complaint, just and observation, I know some have seen huge range drops.
I assume that is a typo and you mean 32.12.3. i see nothing higher than 3 in the software tracker log, so 8 startled me.

Gotcha, I'll give it a try. But if that is to get to the actual service guys, it always just dumps me to a voicemail and they have never called me back yet.
I have heard people say they have good luck with requesting a service appointment through the phone app, specify software issue, and often they get the software update without actually going anywhere or having the mobile visit.
But also -- use your cellphone as a hotspot for an hour or so, That is usually enough for me to download whatever is in the queue. And by the way, there is a faint yellow indicator on the dash if a software update is awaiting download. Hard to see and I missed it for a while. That should tell you if an update is waiting for you to get hooked up to WiFi.

But I don't want to reset the trip computer.... :oops:
Mine was also reser in a recent service visit for computer problems, and I was unhappy about it, too. Part of it was my own fault -- I used to have a practice to log the trip data once per month, but I had gotten sloppy and had not logged it for a few months. Worst part for me was losing a record of the total miles and energy to date at the end of my 4th year of having the car. But the car is working fine now, so I assume that the service center did what they had to do to get it running again. I also lost many of my settings -- driver profiles, and their associated settings, car name, as well as the trip data. Happily, my audio favorites and "recent" stations were retained.

It sounds like only the “master” odometer is a simple counter and the resettable trip counters use a MySQL database back end to record data about every single drive - possibly just date, time, and location for start and end, but potentially MUCH more data such as speed samples every X seconds, GPS data about the route driven, etc.

If not designed well (wrong indexes, no indexes, bad queries, etc) performance can tank as the tables grow larger, and resetting an odometer may truncate these tables and restore performance for a time. I reset one odometer monthly.

I'm pretty sure you're correct. My first yearly service they found warping on my brake rotors but said they could see in the logs I was driving very normally so they could replace them under warranty.

I have read about this for years, and have observed it myself, but I have always been skeptical. Without meaning to be being disrespectful, I wonder if it is mostly psychological. The Model S sits so low that the truck tires loom large as they pass, and the trucks and especially trailers might just seem to be really large and therefore closer. I do wonder, though...never seems to make sense that the car would somehow try to move closer, and I doubt the trucks would. So it is puzzling.

It could be an illusion.

I just had my first roadtrip experience after moving from V8 to V10. Not good. All the bad things I've feared are indeed there, but not as awful or unusable as they could be, with one exception: environment controls. What a mess!
Can anyone tell me how to just turn on the fan without either the AC or heat coming on? The best I could manage was to turn on the fan and set the temp to "LOW" when it was cool outside.

I just had my first roadtrip experience after moving from V8 to V10. Not good. All the bad things I've feared are indeed there, but not as awful or unusable as they could be, with one exception: environment controls. What a mess!
Can anyone tell me how to just turn on the fan without either the AC or heat coming on? The best I could manage was to turn on the fan and set the temp to "LOW" when it was cool outside.

That's the only way to do it. It was like that in v8 too...

• Informative
Reactions: kavyboy and David29
Thanks. I thought it might have been, but with the new control layout it seemed worse somehow because I was unfamiliar with it. And in Houston, it's rare for the heat to kick on, so I haven't noticed it before. :)
The new controls are worse. Bringing up the climate menu always turns the system on and you can no longer set individual components to Auto while manually controlling others.

edit: That was a V8 to V9 change. Climate control in V10 is the same sucky V9 setup.

• Informative
Reactions: kavyboy
I think I'm going to brave a full factory reset today. I have an appointment at the SC tomorrow morning to replace my windshield, so I can take it there in case anything goes sideways. Will let you all know what happens.

AP1, MCU1
So, I did the factory reset this past weekend. Here's what happened.

TLDNR - Factory reset worked. Needed to do it multiple times. Browser still broken. Create profile immediately after factory reset.

First factory reset took about 5 minutes to fully reboot. I started setting up my basic vehicle settings and totally forgot to create a profile first. I went ahead and tried to set up Homelink which finally worked, however I had to almost be touching the garage door to get it to open. Decided to factory reset again.

Second factory reset took about 25 minutes of me staring at a black main screen, so I rebooted it. Car came back like it had reset, however the Homelink option/button was completely gone. I rebooted, still gone.

Third factory reset was pretty quick (about 3 minutes). Everything came back perfectly. Homelink button was there.

First thing I did was create my profile. I then started to configure the vehicle and noticed that each change was saving to my profile. Set up Homelink and it worked perfectly. Am able to open the garage door from halfway down the street.

Now, the important parts...
Browser, still not working. I give up. It works when on Wifi which tells me there must be some built in QOS that completely limits browser functionality while on LTE.
Push to talk. It actually works more than it doesn't now, which is encouraging.
AP feels like it got reinvented. The car used to feel like somewhat of a bowling ball down an alley with the bumper rails up. The only time it does this is when the lines are not in great shape. If it can "see" the lines, the car barely moves. It now definitely moves a little right on a two lane road when the oncoming car is close to the center line. It also interestingly enough reads solid white lines and won't change lanes if you're on a restricted highway. Prior to the factory reset, the car would happily change lanes on that part of the highway. It's not into incoming traffic, they're just solid white to try to stop people from changing lanes on the bridge.

Moral of the story? You may need to factory reset a couple times. Also, make sure the very first thing you do afterwards is create your profile.