Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AP1 owners take heart

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You can either be happy with what you have, or envy what others have. Really, what you are saying is that you'd be happier if no one else got all these new constant great changes. Well that's a pretty bad attitude if you ask me. I was happy when people got AP shortly after I got a non-AP vehicle. And I've enjoyed it every day since. When it comes time to upgrade, I'll get all these new great things too... but only for a short time until the next great thing comes out.

Wow. If you're projecting that sentiment on everyone in this thread, then you're mistaken. I'm not envious, suffering from schadenfreude, or anything else that might be causing me to 'rot from the inside'.

I'm leasing an S60 with a few options. I would have had to think really hard about spending extra for even the new base level of AP, let alone the L4 stuff. For me it's win-win: I'm really happy with AP 1.0 that I have now and the price I paid for it; new owners get a great upgrade, which will surpass the AP 1.0 early next year. I'll be in the market for a new car in 3 years. By then, maybe my government will have agreed to L4 cars driving on our roads, and the price will probably have dropped too.

@JClu
1. Valet feature: downtown areas are a nightmare when it comes to finding parking and I usually have to park several blocks away from the restaurant. How awesome would it be to park in front of the restaurant then have your car worry about finding a spot? Then summon the car back to you as you pay the ticket.

You're forgetting one thing. The car would be earning money driving people around your location while you eat. When it comes time to pay, your car earned enough to make the meal free. Compare than to spending money on the valet :)

• Informative
Reactions: gabeincal
I'm not... suffering from schadenfreude

I had to look that one up. Good word but it doesn't really apply. It's not "pleasure derived by someone from another person's misfortune" but "pain felt by someone from another person's fortune."

And you are right, my comments don't apply to you.

Also, you can't help but have sympathy for someone whose vehicle just rolled off the line before AP2.0 was installed. So perhaps my comments were too harsh. I tend to be that way. But sometimes it takes a good knock to make someone realize that they can change the way they feel just by changing their attitude.

I'm surprised no one called me out on my comments other than you. I do like to be challenged.

@JClu...
1. Valet feature: downtown areas are a nightmare when it comes to finding parking and I usually have to park several blocks away from the restaurant. How awesome would it be to park in front of the restaurant then have your car worry about finding a spot? Then summon the car back to you as you pay the ticket.

How does the car pay for the parking when it parks itself?

@JClu
The features that really intrigue me with full autonomy:

Why have it park at all? (And pay for that?) Just let it drive around in big circles, or send it deep into a famously congested area, then have it come back by using the App half way into your meal to recall the car.

Driving slow in stop and go traffic doesn't use much juice and is effectively the same as parking... on some days. And it can play the USB stick how it pleases when it's out on a romp.

You guys are missing the point!

This is game changing.

Last edited:
Reactions: Casavant
Why have it park at all? Just let it dry around in big circles, while you're eating. Driving slow in stop and go traffic doesn't use much juice and is effectively the same as parking... on some days.
Pollution. Waste. Wear and tear. To name a few.

And before people tell me that it's not an ICE, there is no pollution. Unless you're 100% on solar, at least some portion of your electricity comes from "dirty" sources. And even if 100% on solar, those solar panels aren't made of sunshine.

had to look that one up
Well, for another 2 years I still get to be a European citizen, but I guess that's a different thread.

"pain felt by someone from another person's fortune"
Fair point. I thought you were saying "hoping for another's misfortune in order to feel better about oneself" ... from the point you made about people being pessimistic about the rollout.

But sometimes it takes a good knock to make someone realize that they can change the way they feel just by changing their attitude.
Good point. Someone once told me that there's always a moment of choice between thinking something and saying or acting on it, when we get to decide our character. I usually only remember that just after I've made a fool of myself (again), sadly.:rolleyes:

Back on topic. The more I think about yesterday's announcement, the more amazed I am how far ahead Tesla is in this stuff. The proof will be in what members here report over the next few months of using the system, but I can't believe the other car makers are anywhere close to making similar announcements.

I wonder though if Tesla was being a little disingenuous when describing the potential for AP1.0 when we all bought our cars. I bought my now outdated and obsolete 85D 7 months ago and I thought I recall the AP description talking about being able to summon your car to greet you among other cool things and so I thought over time we'd get the ability for some kind of auto valet with our current HW. I didn't think the current dumb forward/backward driving in a straight line summon would be it, something I've never used once.
Elon was very clear on the press call that AP 1 cars will continue to improve and become more capable. Don't make unwarranted assumptions like "My car will never get better". Obviously your car will get better.

Reactions: EV-lutioin
Elon was very clear on the press call that AP 1 cars will continue to improve and become more capable. Don't make unwarranted assumptions like "My car will never get better". Obviously your car will get better.
And if you spend enough time listening to the complaints on TMC, even though your car is getting better, you'll think it's getting worse!

Envy will rot you from the inside out.
This is why I changed my purchase to a lease the last day. I do like getting new technology, it's my thing :)
But I never envy others fortune! In fact I have been lobbying a couple friends to buy a Tesla since my delivery day 2 months ago. I have one leaning, just need to work on him :) Now he will have AP 2.0 and i'll be stuck with the ancient 1.0 :)
Anyone that buys a Tesla should know ahead of time that their car can become an "older" version real fast. I knew AP was coming (figured next year) but leased with the knowledge I will be happy no matter what comes out. That has not changed

I love AP1, but only use auto steer about 5% of the time, unless on a long trip, which isn't all that often. Mostly, I just love being in and driving my SigX.

I'm happy giving AP2 (3, 4?) time to mature, because I'm not yet sure how I even feel about true full autonomy, at least until a lot of other cars have it too. It may be twice as safe, but I'd rather wait until the HOV lanes are dedicated to autonomous cars using some form of standardized communications before I'd be comfortable reading the paper or watching a movie.

I normally keep a car 5+ years. It will be fun to see what's available then.

I easily and w/o any hesitation purchased AP for $2500 considering it a bargain. Now, $8000 maybe it is still a bargain and I would have had to purchase it but would have done so gritting my teeth.
Technically not $8k, but only $5k.

The extra $3k is to from autopilot to autonomous. And from the description can be added at a later date for an additional $1k (total of $4k for autopilot to autonomous).

I imagine AP1 hardware will eventually switch to tesla vision (if it hasn't switched already) so both hardware's are on the same software since Elon did mention the software will run on any hardware. The AP2 will simply have more cameras and better sensors but it's entirely possible AP1 will stay lock step with AP2 minus some features that require the extra hardware

Elon stated in the call that tesla vision is what they call the software and that it runs on several hardware platforms. The cameras are part of the sensor suite.

You have a valid point about the hardware processing limitation though.