Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AP2 (HW2) to HW3 (no MCU2 upgrade)

AP2 Owners ONLY -- FSD only or MCU2?

• FSD Only

Votes: 21 55.3%
  • MCU2

Votes: 17 44.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That's fine, but recognize that markup like that is perfectly normal. Apple charges you $1000 for a phone that costs somewhere around $100, so complaining about Tesla selling you a $250 computer for $2500 is simply calling them out for something that is very common in the tech industry. I'm also not prepared to say the total cost of the MCU2 is actually $250.

I was probably overestimating the cost. Of the low-cost/low-performance series of Intel cores from 2016, this is the fastest, but it's still a dog of a CPU from almost four years ago. It is basically this laptop, but with half the eMMC capacity, no keyboard, trackpad, battery, or Windows license, etc. and driving a larger LCD panel. Notice that the laptop with similar guts retails for about my estimate. I'm sure that MCU2 costs more because of low manufacturing volume, and I guess the larger panel probably balances out some of the other cost savings, but I'd be shocked if it exceeded $250 in manufacturing cost, even if you include the panel.

Also, that $2,500 is not the purchase price. That's the upgrade price. It's an extra $1,000 if you want to keep the old hardware. So they're effectively charging you $3,500 for a computer that almost certainly costs less than $250 to build.

I do agree that the radio tuner issue is a real downside issue, but I acknowledge that Tesla has a real cost issue right now and is trying to make FSD work and clearly has acknowledged that MCU2 is really necessary to get FSD working, so they were stuck at how do they do the MCU upgrade at minimal cost to Tesla to meet the "FSD commitment" previously made. They really are in a "Dammed if you do, Damned if you don't" position (much of which is a self-induced problem).

Either it is necessary to get it working, in which case they'll eventually be forced to give us all free upgrades to meet their commitment, or it isn't, in which case we're paying $3,500 to get something whose per-core speed is identical to the retina iPad Mini from 2013 (which is so old that Apple doesn't even support it anymore), and just barely outperforms it overall, solely because it has twice as many cores as that iPad Mini.

If we were talking about replacing the CPU with something even remotely modern, like a Cortex-A77 or later, I might not be laughing at the notion of spending that much money to upgrade, but we're talking about replacing something that's ridiculously slow with something that is just "very slow", for more than the cost of a new MacBook Pro. AND you lose your radio.

This is a joke, right? No, seriously. This is a joke, right? Because I'm laughing pretty hard at Tesla for thinking that this makes any sense.

Probably the discount is only because of the CPO purchase, else all HW3.0 + MCU2 retrofit owners would have asked for it. But no harm in trying.
I asked for it, and they sent me an updated invoice with the part ending in -B instead of -A. I already had the UV treatment done to fix the yellow border of my screen, and I have the $200 deductible ESA, so I figured why not save the $250 to reuse my current screen.

I am scheduled to get the FSD upgrade on July 2nd for my Dec 2016 Model X with AP2.0 hardware and MCU1.
Here are the parts that Tesla is ordering for upgrade:
  1. ASSY,AUTOPILOT.ECU,3.0, MSX-FUSED
    Part #: 1655000-70-I
  2. NUT,HEX-FLNG,M5X.8,STL,ZNC,NYLOCK
    Part #: 1012845-00-A
  3. ASY,HARN,HW3,RETROFIT,MSMX
    Part #: 1507950-00-A
Overall, the MCU1 seems to have slowed down appreciably over the last year. Hoping it will not get worse after AP3.

Just had my FSD upgrade done last week. Everything works well even under MCU1 but dash cam feature significantly slows down the response... My MCU2 upgrade is scheduled for 2nd week of July. Will have to turn dash cam off until then.

• Helpful
Reactions: inder123
Btw, after my FSD HW3 upgrade and trunk closure assembly replacement (cinching actuator, liftgate latch), I'm very unhappy with Tesla service center's workmanship. There were number of plastic panels with broken tabs and bent clips that weren't replaced... I've expressed by displeasure with my service manager and she said she will address the issues during MCU2 upgrade... I'm afraid they might just glue the them back on without properly securing them.

Attachments

• 20200621_113551.jpg
    20200621_113551.jpg
    155 KB · Views: 118
  • 20200622_205420.jpg
    20200622_205420.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 91
I had some small scratches in my leather trim and it wasn't a big deal to me but your issues are certainly more troubling, @KGA Tour . Definitely get them addressed.

Ironically, my service center fixed my detached cubby from my MCU1 replacement when they did the MCU2 and I didn't even complain about it from the mcu1 replacement. They noticed it and fixed it on their own.

Just had my FSD upgrade done last week. Everything works well even under MCU1 but dash cam feature significantly slows down the response... My MCU2 upgrade is scheduled for 2nd week of July. Will have to turn dash cam off until then.

Were/are you having any dash cam video quality issues (with MCU1) before or after the HW3 upgrade? I've noticed my dash cam videos are getting more pixelated/artifacts as time goes by (I have MCU1, and just upgraded to HW3 a week ago).
I'm wondering if the MCU1 to MCU2 upgrade would help with the dash cam video issue.
Thanks.

• Helpful
For those that choose to get HW3 without the MCU2 upgrade, just know that when the dashcam feature is enabled the navigation and screen overall is even slower than before. Was going to hold off on the upgrade, but might have to get it now as the screen has gotten too slow if I choose to enable the dashcam feature.

Does your dash cam video show pixelation and/or artifacts?
Thanks.

What does this mean?
Was my previous hardware A.P 2.5?? and now updated to HW 3.0?

Concern: Full Self-Driving Computer Retrofit (Model S and Model X Group 1)

Performed FSD hardware retrofit, downloaded software and verified proper operation.

Correction: Full Self-Driving Computer Retrofit, Model S Autopilot 2.5

Parts Replaced or Added

Part Quantity

ASSY,AUTOPILOT.ECU,3.0, MSX-FUSED(1655000-70-I) 1.0
ASY,HARN,HW3,RETROFIT,MSMX(1507950-00-A) 1.0

Pay Type: Customer Pre-Pay

What does this mean?
Was my previous hardware A.P 2.5?? and now updated to HW 3.0?

Concern: Full Self-Driving Computer Retrofit (Model S and Model X Group 1)

Performed FSD hardware retrofit, downloaded software and verified proper operation.

Correction: Full Self-Driving Computer Retrofit, Model S Autopilot 2.5

Parts Replaced or Added

Part Quantity

ASSY,AUTOPILOT.ECU,3.0, MSX-FUSED(1655000-70-I) 1.0
ASY,HARN,HW3,RETROFIT,MSMX(1507950-00-A) 1.0

Pay Type: Customer Pre-Pay

No, the kit is for a 2.5 but they added the 2.0 FSD harness (ASY,HARN,HW3,RETROFIT,MSMX(1507950-00-A) 1.0) which is only for 2.0 cars to accept the 2.5 FSD upgrade kit. So your car is likely 2.0 and they combined the 2.5 kit with a 2.0 harness which is what they did with mine. They have limited 2.0 only kits that are the same thing but one part number (with 8 hex nuts).

No, the kit is for a 2.5 but they added the 2.0 FSD harness (ASY,HARN,HW3,RETROFIT,MSMX(1507950-00-A) 1.0) which is only for 2.0 cars to accept the 2.5 FSD upgrade kit. So your car is likely 2.0 and they combined the 2.5 kit with a 2.0 harness which is what they did with mine. They have limited 2.0 only kits that are the same thing but one part number (with 8 hex nuts).

Makes sense, however when they upgraded my MS to new HW, they were unable to download the software and my MS was in SC for last 6 days until they figured out the problem was with Autopilot module, which they said they received the replacement is the harness and module the same?

My Dec 2016 Model X with AP2 does not have dashcam feature, nor does it have the USB port to store the recordings.
Will this feature get added when it get upgraded to AP3 (but no MCU2) next week?
If not, will upgrade to MCU2 get me dashcam?
Thanks

You've got the USBs. They are under the flippable part of the center console. You also should have 2 more in the middle row but I'm not sure about the X.

You'll get dashcam and sentry recording with hw3 but jury is out on the quality of the recording due to strain on MCU1.

You've got the USBs. They are under the flippable part of the center console. You also should have 2 more in the middle row but I'm not sure about the X.

You'll get dashcam and sentry recording with hw3 but jury is out on the quality of the recording due to strain on MCU1.

Yes, I do have the USB ports in the center console. So, I will just plug a USB drive in them after HW3 upgrade and will get dashcam! Sweet.

I am in the same boat as the OP where I have AP2/MCU1 looking to upgrade to HW3/AP3. I am inclined to make this upgrade but don't feel compelled to upgrade the MCU. My car still has about 6 months of warranty left on it. Has anyone been successful in getting a warranty replacement from MCU1 to MCU2? I have a few issues which might be MCU related and wondering how willing Tesla is to make this upgrade?