Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AP2 is finally catching up...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Thanks for the video with the word "smarter" but then you showed the very not smarter 55 mph panic manual braking for stationary vehicle.

Has this happen to you in AP2 before (failure to automatically brake against stationary vehicle)?

What's your Following Distance setting (from 1 to 7)?

Would changing that make any difference for automatically brake against stationary vehicle?

Thanks for the video with the word "smarter" but then you showed the very not smarter 55 mph panic manual braking for stationary vehicle.

Has this happen to you in AP2 before (failure to automatically brake against stationary vehicle)?

What's your Following Distance setting (from 1 to 7)?

Would changing that make any difference for automatically brake against stationary vehicle?
The distance setting was 7, or 6, and no it didn't happen to my in AP2 before especially on that route, because on city street we don't drive at 35+ before so I cannot use it there.

I think the problem here is not with the update, but the built in algorithm. Actually as a human being I sensed the problem even when the distance is very far, because I know it's a slope and it will take way longer distance to brake. Autopilot may not miss it, maybe just start later, but I don't think it had considered the slope factor...

I was also thinking about a scenario where on a hilly road, AP will not be able to detect any cars in front when going up hill, but maybe right after the ridge there is a car parking there and it will have no time to brake. As human we will know to slow down because we cannot see what's on the other side but for AP, it may simply think there are no cars...

...distance setting was 7, or 6...

I guess Tesla still needs to work on reliable automatic slow down when approaching stationary vehicle.

In this scenario, the instrument cluster didn't display a detected car until you slowed the car down to about 7 mph and about 4 car lengths.

Your car was going down hill and human could see stopped cars from very far away so there is no excuse that radar and cameras cannot.

Thanks for the report. That way we'll know how competent the system is progressing so far.

Last edited:
I guess Tesla still needs to work on reliable automatic slow down when approaching stationary vehicle.

In this scenario, the instrument cluster didn't display a detected car until you slowed the car down to about 7 mph and about 4 car lengths.

Your car was going down hill and human could see stopped cars from very far away so there is no excuse that radar and cameras cannot.

Thanks for the report. That way we'll know how competent the system is progressing so far.
Today it also happened twice that AP slowed down behind stopped cars, but didn't fully stop and released the brake. I'll try making a video about that tomorrow. 3am and I just finished my Mother's Day video for the car... Have to grab some sleep

17.17.17 for me has seemed to help some with the not slowing for stopped cars, but it will still do it from time to time. Most of the time it will see the car and begin to brake for maybe a second then the car will disappear and TACC will surge forward again in quick succession.

It will do this surging back and forth as the car in front appears and then quickly disappears on the instrument cluster multiple times before I finally have to take over.

17.17.17 for me has seemed to help some with the not slowing for stopped cars, but it will still do it from time to time. Most of the time it will see the car and begin to brake for maybe a second then the car will disappear and TACC will surge forward again in quick succession.

It will do this surging back and forth as the car in front appears and then quickly disappears on the instrument cluster multiple times before I finally have to take over.
That's lame for Tesla...

That's lame for Tesla...

Failure to automatically brake for stationary vehicle has been a challenging problem to be solved for ALL car manufacturers, not just Tesla.

The difference is: Tesla allows its owners to use its unfinished product because it thinks that would save more lives than withholding it.

An example is from 2017 CES demo from a consortium of 6 major companies:

http://gizmodo.com/my-first-ride-in-a-self-driving-car-was-harrowing-as-he-1790765453

fgfzjq3vkpe3kygm9tmw.gif

Just used 17.17.17 for a 2 hour drive (all freeway driving) and it was rock solid the entire time. No more ping pong back and forth within the lane, curves were super smooth, and no random brake checks while passing under signs or overpasses. I never once had to take over during the drive. A lot of this was also spent driving with the cameras facing directly into the setting sun with no adverse affects

When it comes to freeway driving I honestly cant tell the difference between AP1 and AP2 any more. (Besides the lack of displaying more vehicles in adjacent lanes on instrument cluster)

Just used 17.17.17 for a 2 hour drive (all freeway driving) and it was rock solid the entire time. No more ping pong back and forth within the lane, curves were super smooth, and no random brake checks while passing under signs or overpasses. I never once had to take over during the drive. A lot of this was also spent driving with the cameras facing directly into the setting sun with no adverse affects

When it comes to freeway driving I honestly cant tell the difference between AP1 and AP2 any more. (Besides the lack of displaying more vehicles in adjacent lanes on instrument cluster)
can't wait for 17.17.17!