Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AP2 - Snow radar failure

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

BigD0g

Jan 12, 2017
Somewhere
Tesla heating the front camera but not the radar basically disables the system making it unusable. This radar failure was roughly 5 min after leaving a parking garage. The still was later on in the day after some errands and things.

A393C45F-75C7-42F7-95E1-A3852139657A.jpeg

Yep, apparently the non-heated bumper on top of the AP2 radar (and Model X AP1) is really, really susceptible to killing the show. Model S AP1 design was better apparently in this regard.

It's happened to me a dozen times at least. I just expect it during winter weather. But you are still underestimating the number. It needs to be something more like once millions miles. Even if you claim twice over 20k miles, that means across the Tesla fleet it's happening 1250 times per day? Do you see now what I mean by blind optimism?

Maybe something is wrong with your car? Also who said to expect perfection? Humans do not drive perfectly. I'm in Wisconsin and we have frigid winters here. I did not have radar failure problems with an AP1 2015 S I rented for a couple months last winter. I did have radar problems with a 2016 X however. That rental had a lot of other problems as well though. I'll report how things go this winter in my 2017 75D.

You think something is wrong with his/her car, yet you had exactly the same issue yourself?

The problem we are discussing here is the Tesla radar placement behind a non-heated plastic bumper and the effects of that in winter conditions.

Radar placement which, incidentally, AP1 Model S does not have, but 2016 Model X does have (all Model Xs do). Your message is supporting the argument @AWDtsla is making. AP1 Model S has an exposed (well exposed with its own cover plate), heated radar. Model X / AP2 does not.

Ironically enough, Tesla probably chose the Model X / AP2 radar placement in part to avoid massed snow clogging up the AP1 radar. But in the process the denied the radar the ability to melt through whatever is in front of it.

I guess it makes California sense. Snow is the white sub-freezing stuff that blows around you like powder when you go up the mountain on a sunny day to go skiing and you catch some of it on the bumper navigating the parking lot.

The supercooled Norwegian spray is something else, building up like a plate of mithril in front of the radar signal, with nothing to melt it away.

Regarding winter driving, I was testing my AP2 (2017.46.8) today on a highway in snowing weather - first time really with this car in this weather - just a pretty short trip and it seemed to be a bit less sure than usual, but OK. Until after maybe 3-4 minutes of driving the two red hands appear on the screen with an audio signal and both TACC/AP turn off.

My first thought is "did I miss hands on wheel nags" (both hands were on wheel but sometimes it misses that), but no, it reported Front Radar Visibility Reduced and kept TACC/AP off for the rest of the trip.

The front of the car looked pretty much like Bjorn's when I got home, less bad, but similarly covered... The lack of a heated front really seeming to "pay dividend"... The weather was nothing special, this really does not bode well for winter use? I've used adaptive cruise since 2006 or so and usually only one or two issues every winter... never on the first day of snow driving...

cymttnnw8aa8kpa-jpg.246049

Bjørn Nyland on Twitter

A few days ago in heavy sleet, AP2 did manage to stay operational for ca. 1 hour before shutting down. Even a dummy cruise control would have been welcome, but alas, no such luck. Anyway, the same applied to my previous car, Volvo XC60, so it was nothing new.

Reactions: J1mbo
Why would you want to use a dummy cruise when the road conditions are slippery with sleet? Absolutely the wrong thing to do.

It is not, only if used improperly. It allows you to limit your speed given a known road surface condition and stopping time. That may be 45 mph in a 65mph highway. Without it, it's easy to creep up to 70mph+. Remember the car has ZERO tactile speed feedback. Now imagine trying to modulate this speed for a 100 mile trip back home on the highway in snowy conditions. It **cking sucks.

If I had AP, I don't think the radar would have been working through this... With that being said, a small heater behind the bumper to keep the snow off the radar on the new fascia should be pretty easy to do... Definitely something worth suggesting to Tesla.

24910036_1765485550421249_5303629759650000744_n.jpg

Because you can set dummy cruise to say 15 mph and not accidently over accelerate and swerve off the road, think of it like a fail safe.

I tested AP1 today in the snow on the way home from getting my snow tires mounted purely as a test to see if it would even engage and it did for a little while before it lost the lines.

I then used tacc set to 15mph under the posted limit and it worked great to keep a set distance between the car in front of me. After a few miles even tacc shut off and there was no way to engage even non tacc cruise.

9BEF0BAD-E3D0-419C-A157-4BAD9677CDD2.jpeg

How quickly the car goes from technological marvel to beater from the 1970's.

Exaggerate much?

Because you can set dummy cruise to say 15 mph and not accidently over accelerate and swerve off the road, think of it like a fail safe.

Yikes, please don't tell people cruise control increases safety in snow or acts as some sort of fail safe. It does not. All the studies and experts say the opposite and we have large signs up here warning people to turn it off in winter conditions. I don't want someone sliding into me because they had cruise on thinking it increases safety when the opposite is true.

When using cruise control, the drive wheels have a tendency to overspin before the driver notices the loss of traction.

Turn off cruise control

Again, the reasons are fairly simple. You need to feel the road and power given to the tires (and you give that power -- not the vehicle) so you can instantly react in order to avoid sliding or hydroplaning if there's water on the ice. I've had to steer out of slides more than a few times and the results could have been much different if I was using cruise.

Likewise, winter driving carries with it a similar set of perils. Ice, snow, and sleet can make for dangerously slippery conditions, but so too can innocuous-looking slush and all-but-invisible “black ice.” Those who habitually rely upon their vehicles’ cruise controls should eschew the practice during the winter months, because the moments it takes to disengage cruise may be moments you don’t have during a spin-out.

winter-driving-cruise-control.png

Last edited:
Exaggerate much?
Not in this case.. A $3k used turbo Subaru (with no stability or traction control) will easily outpace my car in every conceivable way once the snow hits the road. Would you like me the numerate the many reasons why?

Oh, so the fancy Tesla-only traction control reaction that reacts in 1ms simply fails in the snow?

You said it, not me.

Oh please, I drive in the snow for FUN. This is not about "relying" on cruise control, it's about having driving tools available to you.

Defend poor design and implementation to the death, that is the Tesla cult motto.

In addition to those saying turn off cruise control. Also set regen to low (I keep a snow profile with regen set to low and auto lowering suspension off).

Yeah, unfortunately there is no OFF setting. Not that you should need it, regen should be disabled in 1ms by traction control as necessary. Unfortunately by my guesstimate it's more like 800ms. Long enough for some radical yaw angle.

Reactions: JPUConn
Yep, apparently the non-heated bumper on top of the AP2 radar (and Model X AP1) is really, really susceptible to killing the show. Model S AP1 design was better apparently in this regard.
Well, while on AP1 the radar design may be better because radar heat melts some snow, the AP1 camera on the other hand is the very last part of the windshield which defrosts. I once heated my windshield and managed to melt off everything BUT the camera - it looks exactly opposite to the AP2 picture.

APcamFrost.png

I even considered adding a heater there mysef, but given how rarely it freezes around Seattle I never got around to it.