Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AP2 surpassing AP1 in the rain?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wonder if visibility is somehow better at the top of the windshield. I was noticing that mist seems to cling more to the lower parts.
I'm starting to wonder if the car is picking up on tire tracks rather than lane lines, either that or perhaps 2D snapshots are superior in these types of conditions.

How is AP2 in the rain at night compared to daytime? I did a couple of trips in the heavy rain in the nor'easter here on Friday, one in the afternoon daylight and one in the evening. The AP1 (and the rain-sensing wipers) were both quite good in the afternoon, but not so great at night. Admittedly, i was on different roads (I-95 in the afternoon, Mass. Pike and I-93 in the evening) so the rain markings and other conditions no doubt varied among the roads. But I have noticed before that night plus rain is a tough combination for both wipers and AP1.
On the other hand, I think AP1 works better at night if it is dry (no rain or snow), because lane markings have better contrast without the sunlight.
How about AP2? Better or worse at night?

• Informative
Reactions: buttershrimp
Lol..
I am patiently waiting to upgrade to AP2 but there is not real parity. AP2 just got external lanes. They both do the same things; no feature differences. I have found there is no appreciable difference between the two and have conditioned my driving to adapt to the limitations of both. EAP does the same as AP1.

I “upgraded” and you’re mostly right. There’s things here and there that each one does better, but overall there isn’t a $20,000 difference yet; especially with all else being equal (ie, battery size, seat config, etc.)

How is AP2 in the rain at night compared to daytime?

I’ve found the same limitations to apply in both, performance declines at night compared to day but the aP2 has been steadily improving. The rain sensor itself is better in the AP1 than the aP2 at night though.

• Informative
Reactions: David29