Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

App becoming required

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’ve hesitated replying to this thread because no solution is going to make you happy and Tesla isn’t going to change what they do because you posted on here.
You're right on both counts. This thread is meant to be a discussion and a warning to anyone who cares.

If you don’t want a smartphone and don’t have one, get a cheap, prepaid smartphone, install the app and do what you need.
We're on a slippery slope and I predict that, over time, without the app the vehicle will increasingly cripple itself.

Personally, I like having the connectivity from my phone. I learned from using the Lincoln app for my wife’s car how nice it is to have the climate running before you get to it. From work. From the Metro coming from games. Anytime I leave the house or the store. Anywhere.
Privacy and security are always a trade-off with convenience.

It's about being forced into the role of a product as described earlier:

"A web browser is an app which functions as a digital sandbox to protect you. You don't need to forgo that protection in order to update a credit card or opt in to a service. As with Facebook, when you install and run an unnecessary app on your phone, *you* are the product."

"This is about forcing people into the role of a product. To do so willingly is one thing but to be sold a car without that requirement and then have it forced onto you after the fact is garbage."

Install and delete it? Or do you mean install it (instantly increasing your device's attack surface and vulnerability to security issues), grant it intrusive permissions over your device, agree to enter into an abusive legal contract with the company behind it, provide it with your personal information, link it and all of the above with your Tesla account, link it and all of the above with your vehicle and your vehicle's technology, "delete" it, and carry its cruft on your device forever? And do it all over again the next time you need to update your card.

You might have a point here, if you werent driving around in a car that uploads pretty much everything about where you went in it, how you drove etc to the company in question, basically constantly.

Security is always a trade off, but complaining about the security aspect of this, is fairly strange to me when you made a decision to purchase a car that is already the most connected car in the world, with tons of data it already uploads about basically everything to the company that made it, in the name of "making driving better".

If you don’t want a smartphone and don’t have one, get a cheap, prepaid smartphone, install the app and do what you need. If the minutes expire or you use them, don’t get more. The phone will continue to work on WiFi so you can make any changes in the app that you need. You could still use it as a key if you wanted to. You can always leave the phone at home and powered off.
Or just buy a cheap tablet that you only use for the Tesla app. You turn it off when you don't need it. The other option, if Tesla doesn't block it, is to just install an Android emulator on your desktop. Then you only start the emulator when you need the Tesla app.

Last edited:
Reactions: CapsEngineer
I did indeed. I did not choose to purchase a car that requires an app.

The app isnt required to move to start or move the car, so you are still good to go there. Premium connectivity is not a required function either, so the car does not "require" the app for any critical to drive the car function.

The app isnt required to move to start or move the car, so you are still good to go there. Premium connectivity is not a required function either, so the car does not "require" the app for any critical to drive the car function.
If you can't put in a payment method, you can't Supercharge. Sounds kinda required to me, at least for how most people understand 'using a car'.

If you can't put in a payment method, you can't Supercharge. Sounds kinda required to me, at least for how most people understand 'using a car'.

Supercharging isnt required to use the vehicle (my car has been supercharged exactly 3 times in 4 years) and I am not sure about the card entry for premium connectivity, but just checked (like right before entering this post) and you can still put in a credit card for supercharging on the web.

I think that was mentioned earlier in this thread, but if it wasnt, it absolutely, positively 100% is still possible to enter a credit card as payment in your tesla account on the web.

I was sold a car with Premium Connectivity features without any need for the app. Now a year or two later I can't have Premium Connectivity without the app. So the app is required if I don't want a vehicle that is crippled compared to what I purchased.

I am not sure about the card entry for premium connectivity, but just checked (like right before entering this post) and you can still put in a credit card for supercharging on the web.

I think that was mentioned earlier in this thread, but if it wasnt, it absolutely, positively 100% is still possible to enter a credit card as payment in your tesla account on the web.
The website will take your credit card for ordering accessories and for Supercharging but not for Premium Connectivity. If you don't believe me enter a different card on the website and see which one is charged for Premium Connectivity.

I was sold a car with Premium Connectivity features without any need for the app. Now a year or two later I can't have Premium Connectivity without the app. So the app is required if I don't want a vehicle that is crippled compared to what I purchased.

The website will take your credit card for ordering accessories and for Supercharging but not for Premium Connectivity. If you don't believe me enter a different card on the website and see which one is charged for Premium Connectivity.
Not sure why you are making this out to be such a difficult problem. Your credit card expired that’s on you. It would take 5 minutes to have a friend or family member download app and update your card then delete app. Seriously not that much effort vs the time you have spent upset about it.

Supercharging isnt required to use the vehicle (my car has been supercharged exactly 3 times in 4 years) and I am not sure about the card entry for premium connectivity, but just checked (like right before entering this post) and you can still put in a credit card for supercharging on the web.

Glad you can still use the web for that. You and I have very different use cases, many months I will supercharge more times than you have in 4 years :) No Supercharging would make the car essentially useless to me.

Even if the car is technically usable without the app (and it is), it's really not meant for the type of people who are paranoid about smart phones. If you really don't want to use a smart phone in conjunction with the car, I'd recommend selling it.

Frankly the car itself has an LTE modem in it and constantly shares data with the mothership. Usually the same sort of concerns people against smart phones have.

Let's be gentle. Avoiding mobile apps does improve security. Credit card expiration & theft is a fact of life.

Tesla's software team seems overloaded keeping any way to accomplish rare tasks (like updating credit cards) while they add features, support new vehicles, work around supply chain distributions, change the UI, handle safety issues, adapt to phone OS changes, and try to deliver a ~decade self-driving research goal last year (and add more games). They drop the ball at times on QA, bug fixing, usability, support for older models, and support for all drivers worldwide. It's unlikely that anyone decided to make the app required.

But they make the best cars and they continue to lead the crucial transition.

So we decide how to cope with Tesla's mistakes and how to report them on TMC in the hope of fixes.