Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

App Connection down?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I last drove my Model S on Friday evening. Went to drive it last night and the key fob won’t unlock the car. It’s in my garage and plugged in. I’m patiently waiting for the app to come back to see if I can get into the car. I don’t want to assume it is related, but it is strange timing. So at the point, I can’t drive my S.
I’m going to go check mine and turn off the internet connection if I can.

Maybe the sky is falling. Sorry it’s affecting the MCU. That’s a bit disconcerting. Hopefully the car doesn’t become undriveable. Are you able to turn off the cellular connection to the car? That’s what I would do, and then just listen to the radio or stream music from my phone.
The MCU strangeness is -- for me at least -- a minor annoyance. I'd be significantly more irritated if it'd crashed while in motion as someone else reported here. I would have to guess there are code paths in the MCU that have never been tested under conditions where the Chaos Monkey is tearing the bananas out of Tesla's servers, and aren't entirely reliable.

I'm also a little annoyed that I've lost an hour of my day to the extra charge stop since I couldn't range charge last night. But what bugs me a _lot_ is that 5 hours ago, it was clear to me -- an outside observer -- that we weren't out of the woods yet, so inside Tesla, it must have been clear long before that, and yet they've said nothing. Not cool.

I would expect:
  • A brief synopsis of the failure and its impact
  • A projected time-to-fix
  • At least enough detail on its cause to make these plausible
  • Regular, accurate updates
Is the sky falling if I don't get these? No. But do I get them from pretty much every other online service on which I rely in more than a trivial way? Yes. Heck, I even get them from my cable TV and cellphone providers -- not exactly known for their excellent customer service.

Tesla is really screwing this up.

Last edited:
I last drove my Model S on Friday evening. Went to drive it last night and the key fob won’t unlock the car. It’s in my garage and plugged in. I’m patiently waiting for the app to come back to see if I can get into the car. I don’t want to assume it is related, but it is strange timing. So at the point, I can’t drive my S.
Swap battery in your FOB. App being down should not affect FOB or drive ability..

Good Luck!

However, if you decided that you wanted to go "keyless", well then you'd better have a Model 3 (Model 3 phone unlock does not require anything but bluetooth near field, so no internet needed). Otherwise, treat your Model S/X like every other car out there and carry your keyfob.

Just make sure you don't log out of the app, be cause you cannot log back in. I suggest all Model 3 owners always carry the key card. A mobile phone is just not a 100% reliable way to get in the car.

• Helpful
Reactions: pilotSteve
Just make sure you don't log out of the app, be cause you cannot log back in. I suggest all Model 3 owners always carry the key card. A mobile phone is just not a 100% reliable way to get in the car.
But phone-based unlock for the 3 uses Bluetooth - Tesla's servers aren't involved. Are you saying it doesn't work if the user's logged out of the app and the servers are not letting the user back in, or is this just speculation?

I've been having the same issues with the app since yesterday - unable to connect to the car or view my Powerwall status. No problems driving the car with the fob. This morning I tried to log into my BMW Connecteddrive app to access my i3 and that is now down too. Could be a total coincidence or perhaps something bigger...

• Helpful
Reactions: tls
This outage should not prevent your key fob from working. Try the other fob or replacing your battery.

• Disagree
Reactions: tls and bonnie
I can tell the battery is fine because it lights up the receiver lights on my garage door openers every time I click the fob. I’m thinking my car crashed while updating when the service went down? I was on 14.2 but hadn’t gotten the maps yet.

Yep, don’t log out to try and fix it yourself or that will happen and u will have to type you info every time u want to see if it is back up. It is a Tesla problem. Stay logged in and just wait.

4 hours ago Tesla tweeted it was back up and working. :eek:
Too late... I deleted the app and download a new copy. Now it doesn't recognize my info and won't let me log in. Changed my password but still no luck☹️

I’m going to go check mine and turn off the internet connection if I can.
Cars fine, but can’t figure out how to turn off cellular connection. I don’t think there’s a way to do it unless you connect to Wi-Fi that doesn’t have an internet connection. Should Tesla give us the ability to go off grid? I shut down my car for now.

I've been having the same issues with the app since yesterday - unable to connect to the car or view my Powerwall status. No problems driving the car with the fob. This morning I tried to log into my BMW Connecteddrive app to access my i3 and that is now down too. Could be a total coincidence or perhaps something bigger...
Follow the rubles...

• Funny
Reactions: LoL Rick