Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

App takes forever to connect to car

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On our MYLR, the phone key will not work after the car has been sleeping all night. The solution for us is to tap the Tesla phone app and wait (20-30 sec.) for the connection to be made. Once that's done, the phone key now works properly throughout the day.

I don't have any issue with the phone key not working on ours, I just can't view the screen, like state of charge, or turn on the climate type of stuff. It is about a 30-45 second delay now, which never existed before.

On our MYLR, the phone key will not work after the car has been sleeping all night. The solution for us is to tap the Tesla phone app and wait (20-30 sec.) for the connection to be made. Once that's done, the phone key now works properly throughout the day.
I've noticed exactly the same thing, and I use that same workaround - wake the car up via the app before going out to the car.

My issue seems to be only when connected to WiFi in my garage. Super strong signal but while at home I tend to have to force quit the app and still wait for the car to pop up so I can adjust charge setting and or climate etc.

If the car is outside on the cellular network it pops up right away. It makes me continually question my signal in the garage but my phone while inside the car and garage has full bars and downloads fast etc.

Very frustrating to say the least.

Having the same issue on my Y ever since I took delivery last month.

A funny thing I noticed - I had a loaner this week which had zero issues connecting. I would open my app and it would connect at most 2 seconds later, and most of the time instantaneous. It was a 2017 Model S (Nvidia chip aka MCU 1 !!).

I had connected it to my home Wi-Fi, as well, so that’s not the issue. Definitely seems to be a model-specific issue, because I noticed other folks in this thread say the same, that they don’t have this issue on their MS or MX.

Having the same issue on my Y ever since I took delivery last month.

A funny thing I noticed - I had a loaner this week which had zero issues connecting. I would open my app and it would connect at most 2 seconds later, and most of the time instantaneous. It was a 2017 Model S (Nvidia chip aka MCU 1 !!).

I had connected it to my home Wi-Fi, as well, so that’s not the issue. Definitely seems to be a model-specific issue, because I noticed other folks in this thread say the same, that they don’t have this issue on their MS or MX.
Model S and X come with a key fob last I checked.

Also, what kind of phone? iPhones tend to shut down background apps after a while.

You can also try force closing the app and opening it again. I find that makes it connect quickly.

Model S and X come with a key fob last I checked.

Also, what kind of phone? iPhones tend to shut down background apps after a while.

You can also try force closing the app and opening it again. I find that makes it connect quickly.
Yes, the loaner S did have a key fob. Would that make my app connect quicker?

And yes, iPhone. I have tried force closing but didn’t seem to help for me.

It’s curious that the exact same phone, network, and settings connected quicker to a six year old S than my one month old Y.

Yes, the loaner S did have a key fob. Would that make my app connect quicker?

And yes, iPhone. I have tried force closing but didn’t seem to help for me.

It’s curious that the exact same phone, network, and settings connected quicker to a six year old S than my one month old Y.
I misread this. That is weird. The fob won’t do anything for connecting to them app remotely.

Reactions: Abraham
I also experienced this for the last month or so.

My car is parked in an area with excellent 4G and 5G coverage, but it would sometimes take a long time to connect to the app, and sometimes it would flat out refuse, just spinning the circle. Found that i could open the trunk and so on, even if it seemed to not be connected and did not update location or battery SOT.

I had initially connected it to WiFi, but signal was very weak, even though the AP is less than 10 meters away and has more or less a clear shot through a window.

I gave up and installed a dedicated AP outside, that only has "TeslaNet" as SSID, and the only thing connected is the car.

After it has good wifi, and does not need to rely on LTE, it seems it has become a lot more responsive.

Before when it would refuse to connect, if i opened the drivers side door, and "woke up" the car it would usually connect after a bit of time.

My guess is that there is some bug in the firmware for the LTE system or the integration between the car computer and the LTE

Reactions: Abraham