Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Appaled by Tesla Trade in value, Don't match with carmax

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My Model Y is on its way.
Did a trade in appraisal of my Model 3 with Tesla.
Went to CarMax and did the same appraisal. CarMax gave me 2600$ more than Tesla trade in value.
Tesla says they won't price match, they did a price match of my Acura when I traded to Model 3 so why they don't do it now beats me

Went to CarMax and did the same appraisal. CarMax gave me 2600$ more than Tesla trade in value.
Tesla says they won't price match, they did a price match of my Acura when I traded to Model 3 so why they don't do it now beats me
Because they aren’t a used car dealer.

Their entire focus is on pumping out new cars. End of story.

Carmax was $5500 less on my trade-in than Carvana. It depends on the model and local inventory.

Historically, Tesla has only price matched CarMax for non-Teslas. If you are trading in a Tesla, they typically will not price match those.

Strange. This goes completely against their idea of not allowing people to buy Model 3s after their lease is up. If they had a legitimate reason to do that, why don't they pursue every other option too to recover their cars?

• Disagree
Reactions: PhilDavid
Strange. This goes completely against their idea of not allowing people to buy Model 3s after their lease is up. If they had a legitimate reason to do that, why don't they pursue every other option too to recover their cars?

Guess it depends on if you think robotaxis will actually be happening next year when the first 3’s come off lease. My personal bet is those cars will be sold or auctioned off in the usual manner and the lease terms will quietly change to something more standard.

Guess it depends on if you think robotaxis will actually be happening next year when the first 3’s come off lease. My personal bet is those cars will be sold or auctioned off in the usual manner and the lease terms will quietly change to something more standard.

That's my feeling too. I mean it's pretty obvious we are still so far away from their idea of actual robotaxis... still they do keep making quite questionable decisions. I think it's also possible that they have a problem of internal communication and decision making.

The guy at the Tesla place where I did my test drive was clear that third-party selling is the way to go. Carvana will give me more than I owe on my current car - he said Tesla trade ins are not good at all.

Just ran my VIN/Year/Mileage for my 2017 Bolt Premier with 46K mi on it through VROOM and Carvana... the results are below.
Tesla offered me $17,700 for the Bolt.

Bolt-Trade-in-offer-from-VROOM.png

Bolt-Trade-in-offer-from-Carvana.png

Offer is dependent on Supply/Demand.
If Tesla has insufficient trade ins to satisfy the number of people wanting to buy it used, they will up their offer.
If they have lots of them in stock, and will need to send it to an auction site, then their offer will be much lower.

Carvana, Carmax and Vroom have their own huge retail lots where they can get retail prices for your used trade in. Would make sense that they could make higher offers.

Last time I ran my VIN on VROOM, they upped their offer $500 after I didn't reply in 3 days to their email solicitation ;)

I just got my first offer on Vroom. When they gave you another offer for an additional $500, did that happen via email automatically? Someone call you? Did you do just another appraisal and it went up? Right now, the offer is fairly decent, but Carvana is about $400 more and those two are the only ones with very reasonable offers. So wondering if I sit on it for a few days if something similar will happen to me. I'm selling a 2018, BMW X3, less than 30k miles, clean condition so it should bring a fair value in today's market.

My MY is on order, but I have told Tesla reps I will not take delivery till the Smithtown CS is open. They told me it is scheduled to be staffed by the end of this month with deliveries from there to commence shortly after that.
I heard about that place. Is Syosset is moving there or is an addition? My first model s I nought from there.Service back then was really good. Just worried about what to expect if I buy again. So you never owned a Tesla before? I also stopped by Syosset recently and they had a sign saying starting in September the Superchargers will be closed to the public.

Tesla offered me $18,880 for our 2017 GMC Acadia Denali (29K miles MSRP $48K), I submitted it with KBB Instant Cash Offer program and within in hour they sent me an offer for $23,990 and said two dealers would be in contact with me, an hour later I received two e-mails from local dealers willing to buy it. The next day we took it to the closest dealer and we walked out in 20 minutes with a check. That was on June 19th, we ordered our MY on June 29th.

• Informative
Reactions: E Dizzle
I heard about that place. Is Syosset is moving there or is an addition? My first model s I nought from there.Service back then was really good. Just worried about what to expect if I buy again. So you never owned a Tesla before? I also stopped by Syosset recently and they had a sign saying starting in September the Superchargers will be closed to the public.

Superchargers at service centers are not, and have never been for public use.
Sounds like the sign was added to reinforce the policy and educate the public.