Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Apple car

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well.... Apple seems to think they screwed up, at least with Laptops, that they are putting different ports back onto the chassis.
Oh, yes, the MacBooks, that a bone head idea, utterly idiotic decisions to put everything on a single port.
It is far harder to make award winning, industry applauded best sellers and Apple has quite a few of those, so it balances out.

Reactions: stcptl
Apple have two huge opportunities - glasses and car. I expect them to succeed in both and become a $10T+ company by 2030. Nothing compared to my Tesla prediction of $125T in 2030. It is a big world with lots of opportunities. The winner in the flying car market (post 2030) will likely be a car manufacturer first. People will live in their cars - Apple are well placed for this.

I agree with Lee, Apple is too late to compete.
IMHO best they can do is provide the UI for established car company going EV, VW for example.
How can Apple (or any company) be too late to compete? The auto automotive space is NOT analogous to a network model where speed to entry conveys an advantage. Scale and cost containment are far more important given that auto is very fragmented with too many different use scenarios. I get really confused when people seem to project what they (think) they have seen in other industries like mobile phones or other tech areas and apply it to auto.

The car economics are largely the same. The only material diff are access to battery supply and emerging AI integration. Given that Apple can literally buy their way in given their cash position and they know a little something about sw (oh, and they can just buy their way in there to) they/Apple are always a threat to enter.

Now would it be smart for them to? Who knows

Flying cars have been built since 1946 (all of them still exist).
Never really took off (figuratively).

Flying cars will cost at least $500k and no insurance will cover them.
Agreed. We don't need cars falling from the sky because of some simple problem like not being able to find the flaps lever or running out of fuel, and I do mean fuel because batteries are too heavy for airplanes or flying cars. And they won't be allowed to land on a highway, on top of necessarily having to be built light and flimsy for weight considerations. I don't think it will ever happen. I enjoy the efforts of builders of large drones that will carry a person, with sixteen motors or so, but these, too, will almost have to land at an airport instead of in a suburb.

Agreed. We don't need cars falling from the sky because of some simple problem like not being able to find the flaps lever or running out of fuel, and I do mean fuel because batteries are too heavy for airplanes or flying cars. And they won't be allowed to land on a highway, on top of necessarily having to be built light and flimsy for weight considerations. I don't think it will ever happen. I enjoy the efforts of builders of large drones that will carry a person, with sixteen motors or so, but these, too, will almost have to land at an airport instead of in a suburb.
It is nowhere near as bad as that, the limits are more financial and as you hinted, permissible. Nothing like the howl of motors to get neighbors mad.

Apple have two huge opportunities - glasses and car. I expect them to succeed in both and become a $10T+ company by 2030. Nothing compared to my Tesla prediction of $125T in 2030. It is a big world with lots of opportunities. The winner in the flying car market (post 2030) will likely be a car manufacturer first. People will live in their cars - Apple are well placed for this.
You have a $125T target for Tesla??
What’s the thesis?

The competition will be fierce, the effort to be noticed will be enormous.
Really? You realize the auto market is HUGE. And some countries and regions (cough China and Europe) are not exactly laissez faire so there will always be fragmentation in auto - always. And again Apple can literally buy their way in…with cash. Let that sink in - as in they could buy ford or GM- not that they should but they could. Hell they could simply buy Rivian too while they are at it.

The only advantage in auto is scale (cost or cash position) and access to markets. If Apple (or Amazon for that matter) wanted in they would be in. Should they is another question - I hear profit margins on iPhones and sw are quite high. Far higher than any automotive can ever hope to achieve under any scenario. But if they want to get in they would be scary formidable.