Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Apple car

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Apple will likely release something cool if they do release a car but past experience tells me the initial version will not be the one you want. Compare their first anything to even the very next revision. most of the time it's head and shoulders better

Thanks guys. Just curious for your thoughts.
Why? I don't tend to have a half million dollars sitting around, which would be what Apple would choose.

Plus, Apple really hasn't been able to much of anything lately
Ed, I agree with you on this. Just curious as to what people think. Thanks very much.

Apple will likely release something cool if they do release a car but past experience tells me the initial version will not be the one you want. Compare their first anything to even the very next revision. most of the time it's head and shoulders better
Thanks CM. I always have been on the bleeding edge of technology and of course got the very first iPhone. It was pretty good for what it was. And of course the iterations of the iPhone were incrementally better. Just curious as to what people are thinking.

Honestly, if Steve Jobs were alive today, he'd be driving a Tesla, and he'd have a Founder's Roadster on order. Of course, Steve's would be detailed perfectly, no paint failures or bare spots on the frame for him.

What Apple is planning, no one knows, because they seem to have made several changes over the years, and they could make several more. If there were a void in the market, they might enter, but I don't see the void. AND, with Jony Ive leaving Apple, I don't see Apple building a super-expensive vehicle. Jony was the one who drove an Aston.

The rumors have been mainly focused on the self driving technology, not the manufacture of a brand new vehicle. I seriously doubt Apple will try to create a new car company from the ground up. They will either look to license self driving technology to other companies or they will acquire a company like Tesla to enter the business.

Nope. Computer company building a car?! Unless manufacturing is outsourced I wouldn't count on a vehicle being any good. The Apple fan-boys will be all over it sure - but leave car building to car companies.

Daewoo microwave oven anyone? o_O
You were being ironic, right, because your comment, "Computer company building a car?!" is faintly reminiscent of what the Palm CEO Ed Corrigan said back in 2007 about Apple making a cellphone. If we were to leave car building to car companies, there'd be no Tesla.

Reactions: israndy and Zer0t
Apple is a technology company. Tesla is a technology company.

Apple should have bought Tesla years ago if they wanted them. It would be a lot of money they could just be spending developing their own product. The problem for apple is that no amount of money is going to amass the volume of data they need from miles driven on self driving unless they buy Tesla. But who knows maybe Apple didn't buy Tesla because they made a real breakthrough or maybe they think they can just co exist and take a big chunk of the market away from legacy auto companies with their plans/products, or just Elon can kill the deal. In any case I hope they stay TF away from Tesla as their goals are much different than Tesla.

Anyway I see the apple car project as a thing that is going to be in development forever until a breakthrough happens weather it is in battery tech or self driving. Maybe rumors heating up could be a sign on some breakthrough but I still would think a product would be a few years away. Apple historically makes better versions of existing products vs being 1st to release.

• Informative
Reactions: israndy
You were being ironic, right, because your comment, "Computer company building a car?!" is faintly reminiscent of what the Palm CEO Ed Corrigan said back in 2007 about Apple making a cellphone. If we were to leave car building to car companies, there'd be no Tesla.

That is with Steve Jobs driving.

With Tim Cook, Apple has usually been behind a few versions of competitors. The only invention under Tim Cook is the earbud. I don't even want to talk about face unlock, headphones jack, or killing the last button.

Reactions: S'toon