Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Apply light force to steering wheel 5 seconds after applying force to wheel

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You have far more restraint than me when it comes to looking at your phone while driving then I guess...
My original post on this was I don't believe the camera is working as intended in my car. I can look away or look at the screen for quite a while and no message comes up. Recently I tried this with a passenger with me to alert me to any safety concerns just to see what would happen and never got a message.
Just reinforces the view that there appears to be a lot of variability across FSD beta vehicles.

Last edited:
My original post on this was I don't believe the camera is working as intended in my car. I can look away or look at the screen for quite a while and no message comes up. Recently I tried this with a passenger with me to alert me to any safety concerns just to see what would happen and never got a message.
Just reinforces the view that there appears to be a lot of variability across FSD beta vehicles.
I mean, it's AI, so, yeah the brain is still forming.

Autopilot is asking you to basically drive the car…
Keep hands on steering wheel and give it some force to know you’re paying attention. That’s driving to me. I remember years ago i could leave my hands off the steering wheel for 15 mins no problem, now 15 secs and the car is screaming and making all kinds of alerts. Disappointed 😔

Keep hands on steering wheel and give it some force to know you’re paying attention. That’s driving to me. I remember years ago i could leave my hands off the steering wheel for 15 mins no problem, now 15 secs and the car is screaming and making all kinds of alerts. Disappointed 😔
Yeah, glad we didn't buy for the automated features. If one does fall asleep, will the autopilot switch itself off and let the car drift into oncoming traffic or a tree?

spoken like someone who hasn't used autopilot.

I know people do that but I can't condone it. AP is not perfect and requires some attention. As annoying as the wheel nag can be it serves a purpose. Defeating the safety measures and getting into an accident is the kind of thing that gets the press and the NHTSA all worked up and just leads to more invasive measures.
I honestly don’t think 90% of people should use it, but there are some people that can be hyper aware without having to wiggle the wheel or keep their hand on it. Unfortunately, the rules must be made for the people who can’t be trusted. Thankfully the weights not illegal. With the amount I drive, I couldn’t imagine not having it. AP is flawless for me 150-200 miles a day, and I’m always aware of other drivers.

Reactions: sleepydoc
spoken like someone who hasn't used autopilot.
I was using Autopilot in 2014-2015 when i was driving a model S and i could take my hands off for way over 15 secs. So yes i have used Autopilot numerous times. It just sucks that we have to put our hands every 15 secs. A capacitive steering wheel would be great. Instead of giving it force just touching it would be enough.

I got one. Once in a while it will beep when using it but it mostly works very well. When using the weight i put my phone in the middle console so i don’t get distracted, but both my hands on my lap just in case i need to quickly takeover.
Isn’t it just the best. With all the lane changes and switching freeways every day, it actually feels like I’m just supervising. I feel I’m more aware of my surroundings and other cars when that’s all I have to focus on. My hands are inches from the wheel and I’m good.

Reactions: Ozdw
I was using Autopilot in 2014-2015 when i was driving a model S and i could take my hands off for way over 15 secs. So yes i have used Autopilot numerous times. It just sucks that we have to put our hands every 15 secs. A capacitive steering wheel would be great. Instead of giving it force just touching it would be enough.
15 min or 15 seconds? You said 15 min in your first post. on the interstate, AP nags you about every 30 seconds unless there's something that makes it nervous. On smaller roads it's more like every 15 seconds. If you're driving the car then you're doing it wrong. I simply have my hands on my knees and reach up to give the steering wheel a light tug every once in a while. Like I said above, the nags are a result of idiots being idiots and Tesla protecting itself. Yeah, a bit annoying but I can't blame them.

BTW - FSD nags you every 10 seconds so you'd best stay away from that.

15 min or 15 seconds? You said 15 min in your first post. on the interstate, AP nags you about every 30 seconds unless there's something that makes it nervous. On smaller roads it's more like every 15 seconds. If you're driving the car then you're doing it wrong. I simply have my hands on my knees and reach up to give the steering wheel a light tug every once in a while. Like I said above, the nags are a result of idiots being idiots and Tesla protecting itself. Yeah, a bit annoying but I can't blame them.

BTW - FSD nags you every 10 seconds so you'd best stay away from that.
Yes 15 mins… At the beginning when Tesla just came out it was about that. I remember someone who died while watching a movie years ago. That’s because you could use Autopilot for a long period of time without any driver input.
Because of unfortunate events like this they changed it 😔😩

My 2022 M3LR without FSD sometimes nags me every 10 seconds and sometimes every 30 seconds, and I haven’t been able to discern what driving scenario(s) might be responsible for the different time intervals.

Has anyone figured it out?
1652137354023.gif

• Funny
Reactions: Big Earl
My 2022 M3LR without FSD sometimes nags me every 10 seconds and sometimes every 30 seconds, and I haven’t been able to discern what driving scenario(s) might be responsible for the different time intervals.

Has anyone figured it out?

Based on my observations, on the highway, it varies by speed. At high speed, it's about 30 seconds. With bumper to bumper traffic, it's about 2 minutes.

On local roads, it can be as short as 10 seconds if you aren't applying constant light torque.

Also there are scenarios where the car forces a torque check regardless of the duration: when you override acceleration with the pedal; when NoA wants to make a lane change. In both situations, if you're already torquing the wheel, there is no nag.

Very old AP had almost no nagging. It was Joshua Brown's fatal accident that changed things. Lots of owners griped about the increased nags. IIRC, Tesla increased the nags yet again some point later. The current nag behavior hasn't changed much if at all since then.

Reactions: Big Earl
Isn’t it just the best. With all the lane changes and switching freeways every day, it actually feels like I’m just supervising. I feel I’m more aware of my surroundings and other cars when that’s all I have to focus on. My hands are inches from the wheel and I’m good.
You nailed it. I also feel like I'm supervising and paying more attention to potential threats all around me. Not having to focus on the minutiae allows me to think more defensively. Searching for wildlife that might be nearly invisible on the side of the road at night takes a lot of attention, for example. Key is to never pick up your mobile phone, as that is a huge risk of unaware inattention. Also, always have hands (both) at the ready for evasive action.

Reactions: DrChaos