Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Arbitration buyback

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Don't be afraid to file in your local court, once Tesla gets served they will likely settle if you have a valid claim.

Be sure to know your local lemon laws though. You can start out by paying a lawyer to send a demand letter then if they don't respond just pay the $100 bucks or so to file in court, it's super easy.

And if you wan to be a real d**k there is always a local reporter that likes these kinds of news stories.

Don't be afraid to file in your local court, once Tesla gets served they will likely settle if you have a valid claim.

Be sure to know your local lemon laws though. You can start out by paying a lawyer to send a demand letter then if they don't respond just pay the $100 bucks or so to file in court, it's super easy.

And if you wan to be a real d**k there is always a local reporter that likes these kinds of news stories.
Agreed. Tesla didn't take me or the issues seriously until I filed a lemon law claim in my local court, then all of a sudden their buyback offer became a lot more sensible and the process went a lot quicker and smoother.

FYI in California, even a voluntary manufacturer buyback results in a lemon title. This is specifically to protect the consumer against the voluntary buyback process. My experience with BMW is that they aggressively tried to avoid offering a buyback, until it looks like a state arbitration case isn't going to go their way. Then they'll offer a buyback.

Mine did not have a NDA, was voluntary from the manufacturer, and worked out well for me. It took a whopping 8 months for the title to show up as lemon on CarFax, by which time I saw it got sold overseas to a private owner.
I've sent a letter to Tesla headquarters starting the buyback process. 1 month and no word yet. We have tried to get to the higher ups with no luck. Regional mgr called back and surprise, we need to bring the car in again to have them look at it. that is another month away. I'm debating whether to start on my own or just go straight to a lawyer. I'm just really tired of dealing with them. I have spent so many hours on this car and it's issues it's ridiculous. Seriously thinking things would move faster if I just stood on the street with a sign that says "sorry, it's within specs". I'll bet 50% of Tesla owners will understand that phrase. BTW: multiple problems with the car, but the kicker is the notorious phantom braking. 85mph on a straight freeway and it brakes to less than 50 without warning or anything in front of it.

Reactions: jiehan
I've sent a letter to Tesla headquarters starting the buyback process. 1 month and no word yet. We have tried to get to the higher ups with no luck. Regional mgr called back and surprise, we need to bring the car in again to have them look at it. that is another month away. I'm debating whether to start on my own or just go straight to a lawyer. I'm just really tired of dealing with them. I have spent so many hours on this car and it's issues it's ridiculous. Seriously thinking things would move faster if I just stood on the street with a sign that says "sorry, it's within specs". I'll bet 50% of Tesla owners will understand that phrase. BTW: multiple problems with the car, but the kicker is the notorious phantom braking. 85mph on a straight freeway and it brakes to less than 50 without warning or anything in front of it.
if your biggest complaint is phantom breaking, you’re facing a long uphill battle that may be tough to win. Speaking from experience going through the buyback process on a 2016 Model X I purchased in 2018, document everything from all correspondences, photos, and videos. After two dozen service visits and multiple failures of the same parts, they finally agreed to buy back for customer satisfaction. A software issue with autopilot, a BETA feature, will most likely not be enough. And lastly, not all voluntary vehicles in California are branded with a lemon title. It all depends on how the process completed. My Model X was not and sold a year later during the pandemic halfway across the US. Retaining legal counsel might be your best course of action. Wish you all the best!

but the kicker is the notorious phantom braking. 85mph on a straight freeway and it brakes to less than 50 without warning or anything in front of it.
Nobody gonna buy your car back based on this. I know you said “multiple issues” but if this one is the cornerstone of your complaint then your are flat out wasting your time.

Last edited:
It’s been a while since I fought tesla on my own. I recall I wrote to an arbitration center in Michigan while CCing tesla. They were on the case in two weeks. Everything is in the supplemental manual.

My car was purchased from tesla No lemon title. It seems to have gone to Texas and lived a tough life

BTW: multiple problems with the car, but the kicker is the notorious phantom braking. 85mph on a straight freeway and it brakes to less than 50 without warning or anything in front of it.
Does this occur at the same spot on the highway? Mine used to do that in a construction area on the highway where they were expanding lanes. I think the car thought I was on the on ramp or a side street and it would reduce my speed when I was in autopilot.

I had a Lexus taken back on lemon law. At first they denied my request. I hired a lawyer who sent one letter to Toyota, and Toyota agreed to taking the car back without any arguments. They ended paying $2K to my lawyer, who worked on contingency. I think they deny knowing a proportion of people will go away. It is more economical for them to do that. So be persistent if you are denied.

• Helpful
Reactions: pilotSteve