Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Are 2023 MX Plaid's worth all their headaches?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey all! I've been on the forum for only a couple days and all I see is people complaining left and right about things breaking down or not working on their brand new 2023 MX's. I am/was interesting in placing an order on a 2023 Plaid but i'm a little turned off with all these negativities I keep reading about with quality and things not working 100%, No USS and Vision not working yet, etc.

Are people eggagerating or are these newer units really Lemons and should I just stay away for now? Is this why units are quite a bit cheaper now?

All input greatly appreciated!

I wish I could go back in time 3 weeks and convince myself not to buy the car. Especially now that they did another price drop. That's an instant 5k depreciation I took on the car today. My recommendation is to buy a used 2022 if you really want one. You'll save a bunch of money and get a car with more features. Or if you really want a 2023, I'll happily sell you mine at msrp...

you named yourself MXPLAID and didn't even GET ONE YET?!?

Honestly though I'm sure people will say the same thing. People go on forums usually to complain. There are probably TONS and TONS of people who are completely happy with their car with zero issues like my neighbor. I love it vs the Y minus a few software features. But if you can get a 2022 its the same as the 2023. Mine came with hw3 and sensors but now they dont which is another reason why people are complaining but they are working on it

Any exasperation I might have had regarding price/software/hardware in the last three months is totally wiped out by the awesomeness of the engineering of the car, not to mention NOT having to put up with traditional stealership shenanigans.
I waited ( mostly patiently ) EXACTLY one year for my January 9 delivery because that was "the window" when I hit the button. Several BIG price increases during my wait - I think to stem demand while TESLA caught up with supply chain stuff. (like everyone else) It arrived flawless with HW3 and USS, which I'm pretty sure are still active, even after recent software updates. HW4 was announced the week after I picked up, and price cuts have now brought the total back down to barely $5,000 over what I paid for my configuration. I thought the yoke might be an issue, (old dog/new tricks) but totally love it.

I went in with the same attitude I did when buying a PC in the early 1990's . . . get the best one I can afford, enjoy the heck out of it, and don't look back. . . just like my last car which I kept for 22 years.

Owning an ELECTRIC car that continually improves. . . big bucks
Getting it from an engineer-centric company. . . priceless

So for those that took delivery recently, are you having issues with the doors hitting things or not opening?
Just go to a local Tesla store and check one out. Also keep in mind that you have the option to reject the car at delivery if you find it unacceptable.

Regarding the doors, you'll find posts in these forums discussing issues with the X's doors from every model year, so whatever you see isn't necessarily going to be unique to the '23 models. That said, it's you're really picky and build quality is important to you, you're probably better off looking at another brand.

I got my X Plaid on March 11. So far zero problems. Zero. YMMV. Good build quality. No body defects. No electrical or mechanical defects. This is my 2nd X, the first a 2018 P100D.

My Plaid has HW4 and no USS so at this point there is no FSD, summon, park assist, etc. Am I a little miffed at that? Maybe. But I have a way to get over that....I get in the car and drive it. Solid, quiet, and fast as hell.

Buy me a diet coke and a cigar one day and I'll tell you all the problems I had with Chevrolets that I have owned over my lifetime.

I just picked up a MXP couple weeks ago.. While I'm not one of the luckiest who got their car with "ZERO" issues it doesn't stop me from enjoying the car. I do really miss not having cameras in the bumper and I hope since my car has HW4 I'll be able to retrofit once they are available. The car is fast!

One thing I learnt is if you are not satisfied with the build quality DO NOT accept delivery even thought the shiny new car tempts you. Tesla service will not hesitate to say everything you complain about is within spec or does not affect performance.

I picked up my MXP last month, issues so far:
1. trunk misaligns with the body
2. gap between the back window's top trim and the metal panel
3. plastic part close to pillar not snapped well
4. uneven panel under the floor mat
5. falcon door paint scratchs
6. The trim at the rear wheel is not assembled well, a big gap

1 & 2: Not fixable according to the service center. He told me all MX have similar issue, and I checked all youtube video and the service center parking lot, found that what he said seems to be true 🤣

3: fixed by myself

4. fixed by the service center for free

5 & 6: have a service appointment on Tuesday

Conclusion:

I advise you not to look too closely at your Model X too often, just remember that everything is in spec😄

• Funny
Reactions: maytaurustiger
There are no solutions, only tradeoffs. You have to decide what is most important to you. I had a couple of issues when the car was new but Tesla fixed them. The only problem I have with the car is phantom braking when using cruise control. It was a huge mistake to remove the radar and it seems that Tesla agrees as I believe they are bringing the radar back.

Tesla's always have quirky software issues - the other day I got a lane departure warning even though I have that disabled. Sometimes when I park at home it will open the charge port all by itself. Other days it doesn't.

I love the 3rd row and the performance. But if they are available I would seriously look at the EQS SUV. Competition is a good thing.

Reactions: AW9nineteen
We've had 11 Tesla's and the X Plaid I picked up on 3/31 has been by far the best quality car I've gotten from Tesla (other than it not being detailed as well as other times....but I picked it up the last night of the quarter so they were rushed).

People come here to complain, the majority love their car and have no issues.

We need the story on the 11 Teslas. Issues with past models and trade in/up? Lemon? 10 drives in the family?

X Plaid and Taycan 4S. Great combo. I have 4S Cross Turismo. X for road trips. 4S CT for canyons.

-ThinkMac-