Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Are all these new posters really real?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone noticing an influx of new members posting the same theme in replies and as new threads? It goes along the format of:
  • Typically a long post
  • Sing-songy organization. Starts off lauding a Tesla car and then transitions into negatives and ends with something like "nobody should buy this."
  • Often conflicting statements throughout and littered with criticism of a Tesla disguised as an attempt at praise.

Seems very similar to fake accounts one finds on Facebook where numerous fake accounts will be coordinated to create the impression of a (false) mass negative opinion on something. I'm seeing a lot here in the past couple weeks that fit the organization described above and are all very new accounts.

I wouldn't be surprised if this is happening. TSLA short sellers and Tesla haters along with the anti-Musk crowd seem to filter into various online forums and social media. I do see some posts here like asking about 3rd party accessories and sometimes wonder if it's a thinly veiled advertisement.

I think any newer accounts are suspect until proven otherwise.

I’ve noticed. There are a number of folks that have been banned, that just keep coming back.
Also, the list of people and organizations that hate Tesla, (because it negatively impacts them), not because of any rational reason is growing.
This forum is quickly becoming a whine fest, full of FUD and lies.
I remember when this forum had mostly energy, enthusiasm, and it was fun to come here every day. You could get legitimate questions answered.
I truly wish these folks with ulterior motives would be booted out.
Legit concerns, problems, and grips, no problem.
The rest of the ridiculous stuff (which we are seeing tons of now) isn’t helping the forum, or anyone else.

Anyone noticing an influx of new members posting the same theme in replies and as new threads? It goes along the format of:
  • Typically a long post
  • Sing-songy organization. Starts off lauding a Tesla car and then transitions into negatives and ends with something like "nobody should buy this."
  • Often conflicting statements throughout and littered with criticism of a Tesla disguised as an attempt at praise.

Seems very similar to fake accounts one finds on Facebook where numerous fake accounts will be coordinated to create the impression of a (false) mass negative opinion on something. I'm seeing a lot here in the past couple weeks that fit the organization described above and are all very new accounts.
Yup. I have been questioning that mysef too. They are too organized, much like a student working with a template

I read a lot of posts here (as likely would be expected from a volunteer moderator). TMC is one of the largest Tesla enthusiast sites around (it might be the largest, but I dont know that).

When you search for "Things tesla" this site tends to be the one that comes up, and there are definitely EV blogs that troll through posts here to find content and then re post it on their own site (which is why you see some long time posters with signatures that basically say "its not ok to use my content posted on TMC anywhere else"

With that as the background, I will say that, as long as I have been here, TMC has had new posters join to post these type of stories. Some of them are believable, and some of them are not. My gut feeling tells me that some of them are real, and some of them are not.

On a non moderation level, I have personally never (ever) understood the thought process of someone who creates an account on a website (like this one) with their first post being " Here is why I am not buying this thing", and some sort of quasi "review" with some false positive statements, along with a a bunch of negative ones.

That specific thing looks like a plant to me. People who join to talk about issues with their new car, or people who seem to be in the decision making process but choose not to go through with it, dont (look like plants / negative astroturfing).

This is also combined with the fact that more people are buying these cars, and the leader of the company is polarizing, and you have the situation where the answer is "both things are true, some are here specifically to stir up stuff, and some are not".

(note, I am not trying to turn this into an "anti tesla ceo" thread and frankly am not going to allow that discussion in this thread. "polarizing" is as far as that discussion is going in this thread).

The other thing you have here on TMC, frankly, is there are a few people who seem to enjoy posting negative stuff here, and also a few people who feel it is their mission to defend against that for some reason. I find both of those extremes annoying, on a personal level. I dont think a ton of negative posts are helpful to anyone, nor do I think people who jump to defend against it are helpful either.

Most people exist in the middle (like most things) but the people who rush to "debunk" anything negative said are not helping either (other than helping the website gain traffic). They give the impression to the casual observer of fanaticism. Tesla is neither as bad as many would have people believe, nor as good as some position them to be. Its "A company" like any other, with overworked employees who are willing to help people who dont treat them like dirt (like any other).

Before I climb down off the soap box, I will say that the discussion on this website has changed quite a bit since I got here in 2018. On a personal level, I like helping people find information, etc, and there used to be a lot of that. Now, however, It appears to be much more about "how loud can I complain cause I dont like this thing".

Part of that is because there is no where else for people to complain (Tesla shut down its own forums), and part of it seems to be (to me at least) that as a collective, Tesla buyers come across as "entitled" more than any other car forum I have been on. All the discussion around "the price dropped so I want money back on my purchase I made before" stuff is ..... /shrug

It definitely makes it harder to stick around here for me, thats for sure. If I had not agreed to help the site out by volunteering large chunks of my time to help moderate here, I probably would have stopped coming here long ago, and that may still be coming.

I have done all the "pay it forward" for the help I received when I bought my car in 2018 already. I dont have any feeling of "the mission" or any of that stuff. I am not trying to "accelerate the world toward renewable energy" or any such thing, I dont care about any of that. I just wanted to help people find information on these cars to make choices for themselves (whatever that is) and try to help people learn how to use their vehicle. Increasingly though, thats not the discussion.

==================================

(moderator note)

I am going to put on my moderator hat for a minute and say that I have reservations about how a thread like this will end up. I will remind people that they need to keep any conversation civil. I will probably be more aggressive in moderating the discussion in this thread, and will be quick to take actions should I feel they be needed.

Last edited:
I read a lot of posts here (as likely would be expected from a volunteer moderator). TMC is one of the largest Tesla enthusiast sites around (it might be the largest, but I don't know that).

When you search for "Things tesla" this site tends to be the one that comes up, and there are definitely EV blogs that troll through posts here to find content and then re post it on their own site (which is why you see some long time posters with signatures that basically say "its not ok to use my content posted on TMC anywhere else"
Well said. As a noob here myself, I promise I'm a regular guy with an MYLR on order and found TMC after a few searches in quest of information. We really had been searching for a hybrid or PHEV, but daughter, her husband and both inlaws own Teslas as does a good friend and former co-worker. We are coming from a gas guzzling 20 Ram 1500 pickup which towed our camper at 8-9mpg. Traveling from AZ to ME last spring we had a couple days where we filled the large gas tank twice in a day to the tune of over $150/fill with all the price gouging that was going on in the northeast. Range anxiety was the biggest fear to overcome. Planning mock trips in plugshare helped with that.

I think part of it here is the very type personality that would seek out a Tesla. A certain OCD factor is typical I think. (said with affection). I'm grateful to have this forum, despite the condescension and any plants that are here to mis-inform or mis-direct. There's still plenty of great info to sponge up as long as you can get by the other crap.

Thanks to the mods and hosts here for providing this place to learn. When we took our demo ride in Tucson, I felt like I knew more about Tesla than the guy loaning out demos and with so few ways to talk to anyone at Tesla about anything in person or by phone, it makes this place a gold mine of info! Sometimes you just have to weed through some white noise.

Thanks again to those who make this place tick!

Mainuh in Tucson

I think there's a very real possibility that at least some of those posts are from ChatGPT...
the sock puppet dates back decades before new AI stuff. With EVs in particular, there are a lot of industry shills, self interested mechanics, and senior citizens with too much free time. AI tools do pose the threat to make this sort of behavior even lower effort. The IRA is going to make our next election miserable with the stuff.

unfortunately, it's extremely difficult to moderate against this without stifling all newcomers.

the sock puppet dates back decades before new AI stuff. With EVs in particular, there are a lot of industry shills, self interested mechanics, and senior citizens with too much free time. AI tools do pose the threat to make this sort of behavior even lower effort. The IRA is going to make our next election miserable with the stuff.

unfortunately, it's extremely difficult to moderate against this without stifling all newcomers.
Yes, of course, but that's exactly my point - ChatGPT makes this type of disinformation WAY too easy - as if the onslaught wasn't bad enough already.

Do I think it's disinformation? Absolutely, driven by those who want to keep their $1 billion dollar a DAY profits from oil coming in for as long as they possibly can...

Yes, of course, but that's exactly my point - ChatGPT makes this type of disinformation WAY too easy - as if the onslaught wasn't bad enough already.

Do I think it's disinformation? Absolutely, driven by those who want to keep their $1 billion dollar a DAY profits from oil coming in for as long as they possibly can...
That’s what I was thinking. Current bad behaviors turbocharged.

I think there's a very real possibility that at least some of those posts are from ChatGPT...
Oh, I don't know, I think I agree with the train of thought that Tesla broke into a new stratum of owners 5 weeks ago with the price reductions and tapped a group of buyers that never would have bought a Tesla otherwise. I know my wife and I are in that camp. For the nearly $70k that a MYLR cost back then, you could buy several models that competed with it for $15-20k less. With this broader spectrum of owners, you got a wider range of opinions. Most of the Tesla owners that I know were kind of evangelists for Tesla and all things Elon Musk, so maybe they glossed over some of the shortcomings more than might have been the case with other more mainline cars.
That has only started to change in the last 6 months or so as Elon showed his true nature to the masses. As I've said before, I know people that have worked for him, so I knew of his personality for a few years. With that said, we were all too willing to rush in on the "fire sale" prices. It's a very nice car that luckily had just a couple of very minor build flaws, so we are happy so far. Hopefully if Tesla does what they say and fixes the safety features they removed, all will be well.

I think, therefor I am - Descartes.

😇

I suggest a simple explanation: Some of the posters you refer to are like myself. Ergo, let me explain:

I, and 4-5 others I chat with, placed orders for Tesla despite EV orders for other vehicles within days of Elon dropped pricing. For many an abrupt decision with an absence of detail to support it. But, at worst case we risked $250. Best care we capture $7,500 tax credit and obtained a car with an amazing reputation at a very attractive price. Hey, a $20k price swing? The risk reward was no-brainer for all of us, and expect the world reacted as I did. $12B in global sales in 2 weeks makes a pretty strong case for same, yes?

However, Telsa does not make learning about car features easy. No list is published, and personally I knew more about EV's then my Tesla SA did. Clearly research was needed! Personally, I've learned that an active forum is the world's best way to get quality answers. Sure, I sometimes have to weather the fanboy who gets offended if his darling Tesla is criticized, but most adults know that all vehicles are compromises and happily share what they love, hate, and know about their car.

This forum has been much like that. I asked about safety features and was stunned to learn Tesla was missing rear cross traffic and BSA in the mirrors. For a few, maybe 10%, you'd have thought I shot the pope. But 90% were exceptionally helpful. The "not helpful" typically responded with "The Tesla is not for you", as if somehow they knew my use case and functional requirements.

I suggest most of what you're seeing is just similar. A lot of folks that know EV's well but didn't know Tesla well. Nothing nefarious, just folks looking for hard answers.

Me? My MYLR is getting PPF installed as I type this, and in part because of those 90% that helped me get answers! Does it have compromises? Quite a few. but IMHO it had by far the most compelling price/benefit story available.

Status
Not open for further replies.