Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Are the cameras on the FSD good enough so that I don't have to worry about things like it clipping another car that's on the road?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So when I have the autopilot, not the beta, on a road going down the street. Sometimes it's so close to the cars parked on the side of the road that i worry whether the camera and software could ever hit the cars.

Are my concerns unfounded and I should just trust it?

To be completely fair, it's never hit anything. It just gets close as hell and I get worried that the camera is not good enough or something like0 that.

has anyones car ever clipped another car on autopilot?

So when I have the autopilot, not the beta, on a road going down the street. Sometimes it's so close to the cars parked on the side of the road that i worry whether the camera and software could ever hit the cars.

Are my concerns unfounded and I should just trust it?

To be completely fair, it's never hit anything. It just gets close as hell and I get worried that the camera is not good enough or something like0 that.

has anyones car ever clipped another car on autopilot?

If you talking about trust then you're not from NHTSA that opens an investigation on Autopilot colliding with parked vehicles like police, fire trucks...

Trust AP? Man that's just downright dangerous.

As to your example, in suburban AP, my car will get very close in situations like a sweeping right turn my car will hug the centerline - with incoming traffic that gets interesting quirky. I'll hold the wheel so AP cannot turn more towards the oncoming car. About half the time it won't disengage AP, but half it does. Need to be ready always, especially in known close situations.

Seriously though, trusting AP is like trusting Windows NT won't blue screen. Don't do that, ever.

• Love
Reactions: daktari
It will use the ultrasonic sensors to avoid collisions and sometimes it does cheat over in the lane a little when, say, a truck is getting a little familiar. It happened to me just today - I was in second to right lane of 4 lane bumper-to-bumper traffic and an ambulance was coming up the left shoulder. The giant truck on my left hauling a bulldozer nosed over into my lane a bit to let the cars on his left get out of the way of the ambulance. My car (on NoA) didn't stop like I would have but did cheat to the right in the lane and go around the truck's nose.

Non-beta AP is not meant to be used on a road where cars are parked. I doubt it would hit a parked car, but it might not handle a parked car pulling into the road in front of you.

On the highway, I’ve used AP when there are jersey barriers or construction barrels next to me. I‘m always very alert when I do that, and it can be nerve wracking, but I’ve never come close to hitting anything. However, if I see a construction barrel that’s intruding into my lane, I’ll take over.

Reactions: daktari
Non-beta AP is not meant to be used on a road where cars are parked. I doubt it would hit a parked car, but it might not handle a parked car pulling into the road in front of you.

On the highway, I’ve used AP when there are jersey barriers or construction barrels next to me. I‘m always very alert when I do that, and it can be nerve wracking, but I’ve never come close to hitting anything. However, if I see a construction barrel that’s intruding into my lane, I’ll take over.
Where does it say that?

I've been using non beta AP everywhere, and almost every road here has cars parked

Where does it say that?

I've been using non beta AP everywhere, and almost every road here has cars parked
Please read your manual:

"Warning
Autosteer is intended for use on controlled-access highways with a fully attentive driver. When using Autosteer, hold the steering wheel and be mindful of road conditions and surrounding traffic. Do not use Autosteer in construction zones, or in areas where bicyclists or pedestrians may be present. Never depend on Autosteer to determine an appropriate driving path. Always be prepared to take immediate action. Failure to follow these instructions could cause damage, serious injury or death."

"controlled-access highways" are roads that don't have intersections. If you want to get in or out you need to access through entry or exit ramps. Cars are not allowed to park on shoulders either. Parked cars are quickly towed away.

It's "intended" so it does not forbid you from violating its intention as long as you know that means "damage, serious injury or death."

Last edited:
How close you get to parked cars may depend on your camera calibration. Did you calibrate the cameras while driving on city streets, or on the highway? How long since your most recent calibration?

Please read your manual:

"Warning
Autosteer is intended for use on controlled-access highways with a fully attentive driver. When using Autosteer, hold the steering wheel and be mindful of road conditions and surrounding traffic. Do not use Autosteer in construction zones, or in areas where bicyclists or pedestrians may be present. Never depend on Autosteer to determine an appropriate driving path. Always be prepared to take immediate action. Failure to follow these instructions could cause damage, serious injury or death."

"controlled-access highways" are roads that don't have intersections. If you want to get in or out you need to access through entry or exit ramps. Cars are not allowed to park on shoulders either. Parked cars are quickly towed away.

It's "intended" so it does not forbid you from violating its intention as long as you know that means "damage, serious injury or death."
As someone that has the Beta, the Beta FSD software gives much more room to parked cars and works much better on narrow streets. I don't think it's a camera problem, the standard software just didn't handle these situations well and I wouldn't trust it. The beta handles these situations much better, though I still don't trust it in bad weather or at night without careful oversight.

Reactions: geekfam and rob1987
As someone that has the Beta, the Beta FSD software gives much more room to parked cars and works much better on narrow streets. I don't think it's a camera problem, the standard software just didn't handle these situations well and I wouldn't trust it. The beta handles these situations much better, though I still don't trust it in bad weather or at night without careful oversight.
I also have the beta and it's much better at lane centering than AP. It keeps a better distance from parked vehicles, but also handles situations where a 1-lane abruptly transitions to 2 lanes, or a turning lane suddenly begins much better. The AP would just act as though it was one big lane before suddenly darting over to one side or the other. On narrow roads the AP drives so close to the center line I feel like the wing mirrors on a big on-coming F-150 would take my head off.

You must have calibrated the cameras, otherwise you wouldn't even be able to activate autosteer.
Then, the service center must've calibrated it for me before I took delivery. Because I drove off the lot, and I immediately hit down twice on the right stock and it went into auto drive for me. Either that or I am just driving it while it's not calibrated.

I have one of those auto pilot buddy things. Does that still work with the FSD? Or is it all camera-based now? Does it track your eyes so that your eyes have to be on the road too? What if you are wearing sunglasses?

Autopilot is very good, until it isn’t. Remember that you are ultimately responsible for the actions of the vehicle, even when Autopilot is on.

If you aren’t comfortable with how close it’s getting to other vehicles, then take over and drive yourself.

Always be prepared to take over in case the car unexpectedly does the wrong thing. Pay attention and remain vigilant. Read and understand the system’s limitations - such as it not always stopping for stationary objects in its path.

Well, all I can suggest is that you re-calibrate the cameras and make sure that some of the calibration time is spent driving on the roads where you experience this issue. That will allow the car to get accurate distances to the objects with the ultrasonic sensors and compare those with camera images to determine how far the objects are from the vehicle. This should help the AP to maintain a reasonable distance.

Well, all I can suggest is that you re-calibrate the cameras and make sure that some of the calibration time is spent driving on the roads where you experience this issue. That will allow the car to get accurate distances to the objects with the ultrasonic sensors and compare those with camera images to determine how far the objects are from the vehicle. This should help the AP to maintain a reasonable distance.
That's a good suggestion, ill give it a go this weekend.

...I have one of those auto pilot buddy things. Does that still work with the FSD? Or is it all camera-based now? Does it track your eyes so that your eyes have to be on the road too? What if you are wearing sunglasses?
It really isn't my habit to lecture people on the internet, and I'm not a nervous Nellie about autopilot, pandemics or anything else. But part of making it through life successfully is to have respect for things that can hurt you or someone else - guns, tools, animals, cars etc.

So please take this in the spirit of important and helpful advice. Whether or not you have FSD or FSD beta, you should not ever use that autopilot buddy thing. Just take it out of the car and forget about it. I'm not super thrilled about having to keep torque on the wheel when using Autosteer, but the weight trick is not at all a good solution to that annoyance. You really really do need to keep your hands on the wheel and be ready for anything.

If your son or daughter bought a car that didn't have cruise control, but they showed you they could cruise down the interstate by putting a brick on the gas pedal, I assume you'd say that's a bad idea. That's how you should think of the the steering wheel weight.

Regular autopilot can make your drives safer and more relaxing, even though you need to kep that torque on the wheel. But if you trust it too much, and even worse if you trick it into operating in a way it wasn't designed to do, you're "messing" up. And if you were to get into a bad accident, no matter what caused it, and they were to find one of those in your car, you would be in for a world of public trouble, like national news exposure trouble, for you and everyone else who owns a Tesla.