TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Are the Model X mules close to the final version?

Discussion in 'Model X: Interior & Exterior' started by Beryl, Mar 22, 2015.

?

Are the betas/mules we're seeing the final versions?

1. Pretty much other than trim/fit/finish/interior

48.1%
  2. They're close, but I expect a bit of visual change

38.9%
  3. Not close, I think they're decoys

13.0%
  1. Beryl

Beryl Member

#1 Beryl, Mar 22, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 25, 2015
    [Mod Note] This thread was created from posts carved out from about page 109 of the massive "Where is the Model X Test Mule?" thread.

Is there a reason to think that the MX will look significantly different from what Musk showed 3 years ago which looks similar to all the recent "spottings"?

2. Johan

Johan Took a TSLA bear test. Came back negative.

Here say only. Amongst others a swede (Henrik) who claims he saw a very different version during a recent factory visit.

3. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

I'm with Bonnie here

*Steps across the line and stares back at doubters*

4. eye.surgeon

eye.surgeon Member

I lived in Detroit long enough to know that there are no surprises this close to production. Most manufacturers have logged 100k+ public road miles on pre-production mules. There is no room for significant changes 3 months before production. The stampings and forms have been finalized and the robots are being programmed as we speak. They are already no doubt producing the final product in very low numbers either now or very soon.

5. satheesh.net

satheesh.net Member

Agree. They talk so much publicly about how much cooler the final version is. So it's hard not to speculate and create 'insane' stories. (See what I just did there?) :wink:

Anyways, when I met Jerome a couple of months back, his lips where closed regarding details about the X. But he also couldn't emphasize enough how cool this car is going to be. "Trust me, you just have to wait and see" was his exact words. I naturally got more excited and more questions rose to my mind, but I respected his silence and funny 'grin'.

Either their coming out with a serious wow-factor launch or we're going to be slightly disappointed that that was the result after so much hype. They have really set the bar high on this one. Not meeting them could be a serious drawback for the company as a whole.

That said, I'm optimistic as any. I hope they will show something truly cool. Either way: I'm still getting one! :biggrin:

6. bonnie

bonnie Oil is for sissies.

I'm always open to a small side-bet for fun (and bragging rights).

:)

7. Johan

Johan Took a TSLA bear test. Came back negative.

C'mon Bonnie. You know something us other deadly people don't. But you cant tell, right?

8. gavine

gavine Petrol Head turned EV Enthusiast

bingo

9. anticitizen13.7

anticitizen13.7 Enemy of the Status Quo

I don't believe there is any reason for significant change to the outside, for the following reasons:

(1) Tesla sent out a holiday card to reservation holders that had a partially obscured rendering of the front of Model X. It's similar but slightly different than the concept (thinner falcon wing doors and somewhat boxier front profile).

(2) Aerodynamics are going to determine the shape. That means a sloped rear hatch, or the "whale" shape that some people aren't sure they like. I don't see any other reasonable way to design a 3-row mid-size SUV with great aerodynamics.

I think it's reasonable to assume that minor stuff like character lines, nose cone, and mirrors will be tweaked or different from the concept. I would not expect a radically different overall shape.

The major surprises will IMO be on the inside. The interior is where Tesla has the best opportunity to shine in terms of comfort, innovative features, and ergonomics.

I've speculated that adding towing capability to the X meant that Tesla had to redesign the suspension and frame. I'm not sure they were actually able to reuse all that much from the S in these parts of the car.

10. anticitizen13.7

anticitizen13.7 Enemy of the Status Quo

The interior and unannounced features are probably what really matters for the X. Sheet metal on the exterior is just one aspect of the car, and we really know nothing specific about the final product.

11. bonnie

If I knew something, I wouldn't be expressing an opinion about it ... that would be violating a trust. What I DO know is there is a very very tight lockdown on information on the X. Things I'd normally hear about, nothing. Crickets. People are not talking (kudos to all of them, dammit!).

So do I think they're out there driving it around when no one is talking? No.

I think I'll see the Model X when the first one is delivered. (Or possibly if they need some of us to configure for first deliveries after Founder Series ... but that's probably just wishful thinking on my part.) I'm just hoping for a pedicure option while driving. :)

12. vandacca

vandacca Active Member

I'm going to agree with @bonnie, @gavine, @vigge50, etc. that the Model-X is going to look significantly different than what we have seen. It would seem to me that Tesla is employing multiple disguising techniques for the road testing (e.g. fake body panels, window coverings, wrapping nose cone, etc.) to achieve a look that won't be anything like the completed model. I also firmly believe that the spotted models are indeed the 30 beta models that will end up looking 99% like the production version, its just that they've been camouflaged. That camo won't affect the road testing they need to do (e.g. suspension & frame testing).

They have many other models that they can use to do their other testing either indoors or around their Fremont factory, away from prying eyes. I would think that 80+% of the testing can be done on site. It would be easier to build rigs and test-tracks to automate the testing on site so that the testing can be repeatable and not require any employees. I'm sure the beta models all have auto-pilot, so there will be many Model-Xs testing themselves right now as we contemplate what is to come.

Therefore, I still believe that they are still on track to complete their testing and have a Q3 2015 release.

When you see the final model with the big integrated sweeping glass moon-roof/windshield (moon-shield?), its going to look very different. I think they have done a lot with the nose-cose and rear as well that when seen altogether, its going to be really dramatic.

13. 1208

1208 Active Member

I bet 30 reputation points we have seen the final design (well what we are able to see of it anyway). :cool:

14. dirkhh

dirkhh Middle-aged Member

Hey, I'm only a few days away from winning my bet with Al regarding the delivery date of your Model X... I'm more than happy to take money from more people here.
    Oh, wait. Dang. You and I are both on the same side of this bet :-(

15. bonnie

I'm open to larger bets :), but I'll take that one.

16. satheesh.net

satheesh.net Member

[Completely off topic]
    That reminded me of a movie I saw the other day, FOCUS, starring Will Smith. :biggrin:

17. Yuri_G

Yuri_G Member

Folks are setting themselves up for disappointment if they think the beta/RC version of the X is going to look significantly different than the one that will ship. Unless they think the beta version of the S looked significantly different than the production version.

N2zfedR.jpg

Tesla Model S Beta 1 (photos) - CNET

18. BerTX

BerTX Member

Ah, but that isn't the disagreement at all! The question is whether the car we have seen driving around IS the beta.

19. Earlian

Earlian Member

#19 Earlian, Mar 22, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2015
    Where is the Model X Test Mule? Is there one?

So, I followed that last discussion of wether or not it will be different.

But they are driving around with some half-beta or so to test.

What can you see?

Didn't no one notice some interesting things in that last video?

1) See that aluminum foil inside, that is wrapped near the place where we would await a Camera instead of side mirrors? They are definitely holding on to that

2) From the short moments you can look inside, it looks like the theory about a glass from desk to Falconwings could win

3) The LCD panel is no longer reaching over!

What else?

20. vigge50

vigge50 Member

#20 vigge50, Mar 22, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 24, 2015
    Mod note: deleted as per users request.