Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Are the Model X mules close to the final version?

Are the betas/mules we're seeing the final versions?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks for clarifying on this, because it seems like this speculation has lead people to believe that the production Model X will be radically different from the photos and videos of the presumed Betas driving around.

I've followed the auto industry long enough to know that stuff just doesn't change this close to production. I don't think it's likely that the exterior will be a big surprise, but I expect surprises on the interior.

Are you sure experience around the auto industry applies to Tesla?

Tesla still builds cars using pressings, castings, robots, suppliers, and assembly lines, same as everyone else, with the constraints that those require. There will be no last minute changes of any substance at this point, at least not to body panels or major components.

I've followed the auto industry long enough to know that stuff just doesn't change this close to production. I don't think it's likely that the exterior will be a big surprise, but I expect surprises on the interior.

I agree - stuff doesn't change this close to production. I'm sure the production version is locked down and going through testing. But I don't think we've seen THAT version on the road. I think what we've seen is something heavily camoflauged to the point of using repurposed body panels.

- - - Updated - - -

Tesla still builds cars using pressings, castings, robots, suppliers, and assembly lines, same as everyone else, with the constraints that those require. There will be no last minute changes of any substance at this point, at least not to body panels or major components.

I don't think anyone is saying that those types of changes are happening. Only that what we see on the road and what is actually being produced are two different beasts. What we see on the road looks to be using the body panels from the early prototypes. No dies were made to stamp those out.

I agree - stuff doesn't change this close to production. I'm sure the production version is locked down and going through testing. But I don't think we've seen THAT version on the road. I think what we've seen is something heavily camoflauged to the point of using repurposed body panels.

- - - Updated - - -

I don't think anyone is saying that those types of changes are happening. Only that what we see on the road and what is actually being produced are two different beasts. What we see on the road looks to be using the body panels from the early prototypes. No dies were made to stamp those out.

You believe Tesla is using prototype panels so enthusiasts and reservation holders don't see the beta/production exterior of the X before it is officially unveiled? Sounds like far too much trouble to me.

You believe Tesla is using prototype panels so enthusiasts and reservation holders don't see the beta/production exterior of the X before it is officially unveiled? Sounds like far too much trouble to me.

Yes, I believe that what we are seeing is what they want us to be seeing. And Elon doesn't want anything ANYTHING leaked regarding the Model X.

I think the exterior will look very much like the car Elon unveiled years ago which resembles the car on the Tesla website which also resembles the serious MX sightings. There will be small differences-- like light and mirror placements but nothing major.
I won't predict the way the interior will look.

I must admit I was one of the people who were looking forward to a different body shape, the egg-shape of the concept just didnt click with me. But over time I have warmed to it and only just in the last day or so I actually prefer it to the usual SUV wagon shape.

imagine if it was released looking more like the traditional two box SUV design, I think that would be very boring now.

the concerns about lack of third row headroom are probably a little to do with the optical illusion of the Falcon doors, the doors are quite long and unlike traditional doors, their opening encompasses a lot of the the third row cargo area. Because we are used to rear doors only giving second row access, the Model X third row is further forward than it looks.

Last edited:
To those people who think we haven't seen the final design and it will shock us. Science says the only possibility of what it therefore must look like in order to shock people is...

Land-Rover-Defender-110.jpg

How convenient that the driver looks like Elon...

So you see they are testing the X on the roads the problem is you all are looking out for wrong car :rolleyes:

To those people who think we haven't seen the final design and it will shock us. Science says the only possibility of what it therefore must look like in order to shock people is...

View attachment 75715

How convenient that the driver looks like Elon...

So you see they are testing the X on the roads the problem is you all are looking out for wrong car :rolleyes:

But but but... I was promised the falcon doors would make it to production. These doors are very clearly front hinged.

Unless they have fake front hinges for style purposes? :)

So you are saying that they are not road testing real Model X at the moment all though they will deliver it to customers in six months?

Maybe it is being road tested, only in extremely remote locations where there are no people. One very hot location and one very cold, with road course test tracks long enough to allow some sustained full speed runs, and various surfaces. A small crew of drivers could do 24 hour testing, an average speed of say 50 mph would produce 1200 miles a day, 36,000 miles in a month.

Please note: the Model-S has been constantly evolving with minor (and some major) upgrades from day 1 (e.g. power mirrors, heated steering wheel, auto-pilot, etc.). Most car companies make no changes until the following production year. Therefore, I think it would be a mistake to think that Tesla will behave like any other car company.

I agree that there will be no major changes at this point and I very much doubt there will be anything new added, but what is the point of testing if they have no intention of fixing/changing the design if a problem is found? Personally, I think the only problems they may find is with the integration of certain systems and that will all be internal to the vehicle and not easily visible from the outside.

Last edited:
I did not say they were not road testing the real Model X. I am saying that I believe what we're reporting as 'the real Model X' is not the real Model X.

My guess is that the car in this video is a production intent prototype.

Tesla Model X spied up close in California

It's got a vinyl wrap but no obvious false panels or other disguises. I just can't see them spending the time and effort to come up with a "fake" Model X this close to the production launch.

My guess is that the car in this video is a production intent prototype.

Tesla Model X spied up close in California

It's got a vinyl wrap but no obvious false panels or other disguises. I just can't see them spending the time and effort to come up with a "fake" Model X this close to the production launch.

Well why would they have to? If they had the body panels of an original design, but needed to test new internals, what's wrong with using the old? Everyone seems to assume Tesla created something NEW.