Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Are you going to lease or finance your Model 3?

How are you paying for the Model 3?

• Cash Purchase

Votes: 39 31.0%
  • Financing

Votes: 79 62.7%
  • Leasing

Votes: 8 6.3%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The lease rate by contrast is 6%. Tesla clearly wants people to buy their cars.

I only lease when it is financially advantageous to do so, such as BMW who pad the hell out of their leases in the way of highly inflated lease residuals.

At a low enough interest rate it is more advantageous to do my own lease.... as in, buy the car, take the tax incentives, enjoy a super low interest rate while my money remains invested.

If it makes sense later than just sell or trade the car and that's the "lease of my own making" option.

I only lease when it is financially advantageous to do so, such as BMW who pad the hell out of their leases in the way of highly inflated lease residuals.

At a low enough interest rate it is more advantageous to do my own lease.... as in, buy the car, take the tax incentives, enjoy a super low interest rate while my money remains invested.

If it makes sense later than just sell or trade the car and that's the "lease of my own making" option.
Agreed

@internalaudit,

Who takes an 8 YEAR car loan???!???

Ski

I plan on taking a 7 year loan if I can finance below 3% interest rate. I could just as easily pay cash for the entire purchase price but I'm confident I can achieve a return of greater than 5% on my investment portfolio. The way I look at it paying cash is leaving money on the table since loans are so cheap. A $50,000 7 year loan at 3 percent only costs $5,496 in intrest while investment income on $50,000 returning 5%, reinvested semiannually you will have north of $70,500 less taxes of course. My average return over the past 7 years is 10% so I believe worst case for me is %7 or worst case $81,500 or best case $100,000. now people who live pay check to pay check and get an extra long 7-8 year loan so they can just barely afford the payments, now that is just asking for trouble. But if done correctly a long loan term with low rates can literally be free or nearly free money. In my opinion.

I plan on taking a 7 year loan if I can finance below 3% interest rate. I could just as easily pay cash for the entire purchase price but I'm confident I can achieve a return of greater than 5% on my investment portfolio. The way I look at it paying cash is leaving money on the table since loans are so cheap. A $50,000 7 year loan at 3 percent only costs $5,496 in intrest while investment income on $50,000 returning 5%, reinvested semiannually you will have north of $70,500 less taxes of course. My average return over the past 7 years is 10% so I believe worst case for me is %7 or worst case $81,500 or best case $100,000. now people who live pay check to pay check and get an extra long 7-8 year loan so they can just barely afford the payments, now that is just asking for trouble. But if done correctly a long loan term with low rates can literally be free or nearly free money. In my opinion.
thats pretty much my thoughts. Even the oldschool dividend behemoths get 3-4% a year with 0 effort.

Reactions: Rogue one

Your overall logic isn't bad, but I do need to point out a math error for others thinking about this because it isn't nearly as great as how you state it.

A 7 year loan of $50k @ 3% will be $661 a year and $5,496 in interest. For your investment, you can put in the $50k at the start, but you have to withdraw the $661 a month to pay the loan to do a true cost benefit since you won't have investment gain on the money you withdraw. You are completely ignoring that you have to make actual loan payments.

In a fairly optimistic situation of earning 7% a year every year like clockwork, you would earn $15,050 in investment gain and pay $5,496 in loan interest. That is a little over $1k a year. Still a definite net win and the strategy has value. As the original poster mentioned, you also have to pay tax on those gains. Just don't think you are making $80k by doing this. It isn't even close to true.

Obviously any market gain >3% has you making money which is super reasonable to assume happens, but this also assumes a flat market. If the market tanks in the beginning of loan and raises in the end when you have less money left invested, even if you average over 3%, you might still end up with less money using this strategy.

TL;DR - It is a solid and valid strategy if you have the cash on hand and I actually would recommend it. I could also see why many people wouldn't worry about the hassle. However, expect $1k a year (minus tax) and not $10k a year in gains.

Your overall logic isn't bad, but I do need to point out a math error for others thinking about this because it isn't nearly as great as how you state it.

A 7 year loan of $50k @ 3% will be $661 a year and $5,496 in interest. For your investment, you can put in the $50k at the start, but you have to withdraw the $661 a month to pay the loan to do a true cost benefit since you won't have investment gain on the money you withdraw. You are completely ignoring that you have to make actual loan payments.

In a fairly optimistic situation of earning 7% a year every year like clockwork, you would earn $15,050 in investment gain and pay $5,496 in loan interest. That is a little over $1k a year. Still a definite net win and the strategy has value. As the original poster mentioned, you also have to pay tax on those gains. Just don't think you are making $80k by doing this. It isn't even close to true.

Obviously any market gain >3% has you making money which is super reasonable to assume happens, but this also assumes a flat market. If the market tanks in the beginning of loan and raises in the end when you have less money left invested, even if you average over 3%, you might still end up with less money using this strategy.

TL;DR - It is a solid and valid strategy if you have the cash on hand and I actually would recommend it. I could also see why many people wouldn't worry about the hassle. However, expect $1k a year (minus tax) and not $10k a year in gains.
I was wondering if anyone would notice that, I look at it as forced saving. If you put that money in the investment acount and not touch it and force yourself to "save"$661 per month by way of paying the car loan my math holds true on what your investment acount would equal, less taxes. Most people I know , meet and talk to are unable to save money on a constant monthly basis as they feel %100 of their income is disposable. ) : I blame our public school system at least when I went through personal finance class was a joke. (Balance checkbook was about it) But I digress my logic was simply if you can afford the payment in your current monthly budget vs have savings to buy the car with cash. But yes your post is As for market losses yes investments carry risk and these risks may not be suitable for all people however if you leave ok at the long term chart of the s&p 500 it's up. Not investment advice just my personal thoughts on the subject. Cheers-Nick

Last edited:
Reactions: internalaudit
I was wondering if anyone would notice that, I look at it as forced saving. If you put that money in the investment acount and not touch it and force yourself to "save"$661 per month by way of paying the car loan my math holds true on what your investment acount would equal, less taxes. Most people I know , meet and talk to are unable to save money on a constant monthly basis as they feel %100 of their income is disposable. ) : I blame our public school system at least when I went through personal finance class was a joke. (Balance checkbook was about it) But I digress my logic was simply if you can afford the payment in your current monthly budget vs have savings to buy the car with cash. But yes your post is As for market losses yes investments carry risk and these risks may not be suitable for all people however if you leave ok at the long term chart of the s&p 500 it's up. Not investment advice just my personal thoughts on the subject. Cheers-Nick

Anything that gets people to save and invest money is a good thing. I do analytics for a financial services company, so the urge to clarify your comment for public consumption was too strong for me to pass up :D

Reactions: Rogue one