Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Are you OK with AutoPilot jail?

Do you want to have AP jail on your car?

• Yes

Votes: 215 76.8%
  • No

Votes: 65 23.2%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Remind me, what must happen for you to be put into AP jail?

Two ways it can happen:

1. Fail to respond 3 times to "Apply light force to steering wheel" to the degree that audible beeps occur on each of the 3 occasions.

2. Exceed 90 MPH while autosteer is engaged.

Either of these results in "Autopilot disabled for the remainder of this drive", informally called "AP Jail". To reset, you must stop the car and place it in Park.

Do you guys think it is acceptable not being able to engage the AP whenever it is safe to do so?

Requiring to park the car and open/close the door to re-engage it is plain stupid.

It is a safty issue as well. The driver might get into an accident because of not being able to turn it back on.

I would like Tesla to have a 3 strikes policy. 3 times you get put in jail your car should lose access to EAP for ever and no refunds.

The point of AP jail is to tell a driver "Hey, Bozo, I told you to keep your hands on the wheel. You didn't do it. So now you can just drive the car yourself."

I am not calling you a bozo, No42. I'm saying that's what AP jail is saying to a driver who ignores the injunction to keep their hands on the wheel. EAP at present is a beta feature and a Level 2 feature. That means constant driver attention required. The Nag and AP jail are the only ways Tesla has to enforce this requirement. Tesla does not want you to die, and Tesla knows that its cars are not yet ready for the driver to take eyes off the road.

AP jail only means you have to drive the car yourself. You do not have to stop the car and put it in park and open the door. You just have to drive it yourself.

I have never heard an audible warning, because I don't allow myself to be that distracted from driving.

It wouldn't take much to give Tesla a very bad name, and I think the conservative approach Tesla takes is appropriate with a feature that has so much potential to go badly and kill themselves or others. People use all kinds of AP defeat tricks, with a "AP buddy", the orange trick ect. You cannot rely on people to act in the safest way, but you can rely on them to be selfish. Having some punishment is the only way to ensure those types of people use the feature responsibly.

There are Tesla owners out there who are simply irresponsible behind the wheel of AP. I see them all the time on the highway. From having a full-on dance party in the car (I don't just mean dancing behind the wheel, I mean up on the driver's seat facing backwards on one's knees) to playing a f-ing trumpet, I've seen plenty of instances of behavior that probably would get one in AP jail.

It's unfortunate that people have such unrealistic expectations of this technology.