Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Are you OK with AutoPilot jail?

Do you want to have AP jail on your car?

• Yes

Votes: 215 76.8%
  • No

Votes: 65 23.2%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Do you guys think it is acceptable not being able to engage the AP whenever it is safe to do so?
Yes. If you not using it correctly then it apparently isn't safe to use it.

Requiring to park the car and open/close the door to re-engage it is plain stupid.
The intent isn't that you do the absolute minimum to keep driving in an unsafe way. The goal is that you get out of the car take a walk for minute, go to the bathroom, breathe some fresh air, or get a coffee or something. It's ensuring that you are still there and are attentive enough.

It is a safty issue as well. The driver might get into an accident because of not being able to turn it back on.
The actual safety issue is someone driving around not paying enough attention thinking that autopilot is really FSD. That's how people run into stopped fire engines, hit semi-trucks turning in front of them, and otherwise put themselves and others in danger.

I'm okay with it for people who continually disregarding "hands on wheel" messages. But for the rare occasion when you exceed 90mph, it's super frustrating. I'm fine with it disengaging AP temporarily, but the "penalty" is too much given there's no warning, and it's too easy to forget about the 90mph limit.

It's never happened to me personally while driving, but twice while a passenger in my brother's car in the middle of a 4 hour road trip he found himself in an unsafe situation with trucks merging or in a truck's blindspot and sped up to move to a safer position and exceeded 90mph. After much cursing, the remedy was then to pull over on the side of the highway was cars speeding past, which in itself was much less safe than not being put in AP jail in the first place.

My only problem with AP jail is my frantic squeezing, banging, shaking, and shoving of the wheel doesn't register and always kick off the nag.

Internal camera needs image recognition for my middle finger so I can tell it I am alert and aware.

Press firmly to one side for about 2 seconds, but not so hard that it disengages. It seems to like that better than shaking or fast actions.
What is is looking for (as I understand it) is the type of force that your hands will naturally exert on the steering wheel if left in a normal position while it auto steers.

I'm okay with it for people who continually disregarding "hands on wheel" messages. But for the rare occasion when you exceed 90mph, it's super frustrating. I'm fine with it disengaging AP temporarily, but the "penalty" is too much given there's no warning, and it's too easy to forget about the 90mph limit.

It's never happened to me personally while driving, but twice while a passenger in my brother's car in the middle of a 4 hour road trip he found himself in an unsafe situation with trucks merging or in a truck's blindspot and sped up to move to a safer position and exceeded 90mph. After much cursing, the remedy was then to pull over on the side of the highway was cars speeding past, which in itself was much less safe than not being put in AP jail in the first place.

That's how I got AP Jail the only time I have gotten it. I had a semi cutting into my lane and a guy riding my rear and needed to accelerate for a second to get away. Drove the next 100 miles to the supercharger without AP. It was an 80 MPH road so it's not like I was doing anything crazy exceeding 90 for a second.

Reactions: TheOtherPete
My only problem with AP jail is my frantic squeezing, banging, shaking, and shoving of the wheel doesn't register and always kick off the nag.

Internal camera needs image recognition for my middle finger so I can tell it I am alert and aware.

It doesn't seem as if any of the methods that you are using works. There's two different things that the system recognizes. The first is torque on the wheel, that's putting pressure to the right or left, just as you would to take it off autopilot, but just not as much. One hand resting on a side should be sufficient,.

The second, and newer method is button pressing. If you roll the volume up or down one notch, that's all that is needed.

Press firmly to one side for about 2 seconds, but not so hard that it disengages. It seems to like that better than shaking or fast actions.
What is is looking for (as I understand it) is the type of force that your hands will naturally exert on the steering wheel if left in a normal position while it auto steers.

Thank you Doug. My method is pushing up on the wheel from the 7 and 5 o clock positions.

My frustrations are a bit exaggerated for humor purposes. Its not that bad.

Though an internal cam that tracks movements would make the experience friction less.

Reactions: P85_DA and Kutu
Do you guys think it is acceptable not being able to engage the AP whenever it is safe to do so?

Requiring to park the car and open/close the door to re-engage it is plain stupid.

It is a safty issue as well. The driver might get into an accident because of not being able to turn it back on.

Aw, come on, how in the hell is it a safety issue if you can't turn it back on? After all, there are millions of cars that don't have it.

To re-enable it doesn't require parking the car and opening the door. All it requires is to put the car in park. It's a penalty that can take less than an minute to overcome.

But most importantly, try fixing the real problem. It's pretty obvious that what you are doing isn't solving the problem, so instead of beating your head against the wall and bitching, change what you are doing. And don't come back with the crap that you don't want to change how you drive, because, in fact, autopilot itself, is a change in how you drive. Learn the new feature.

Let’s be honest. People are always going to push the limits of technology, so I’m totally fine with AP jail if you don’t respond to the nag - especially considering how little Tesla teaches you about Autopilot’s usage and it’s functionality. It’s really quite hilarious how so many customers know so little about their cars and how the functions work.

IMO TACC should always be available, but autosteer should also automatically disengage when the driver presses the accelerator without any “ap jail” reactivation requirements. On top of that, there should be a one-time use “get out of jail free” timer of 15-20 minutes to be able reactivate autosteer without having to exit for those who might get in jail on a long drive without a good place to pull over.

I think jail is OK now that they've fixed the warning message to provide some decent info about what you need to do to fix the problem. I was put in "jail" one time. Here's why: I was using AP for a long drive for the first time and didn't understand that it needs turning resistance to "know" that you have a hand on the wheel. I thought it sensed your grip on the wheel, so I started trying to crush the wheel when the warnings began, to no avail. Anyway, with some more research the next day and new more powerful handshake I learned what I was doing wrong.

Thank you Doug. My method is pushing up on the wheel from the 7 and 5 o clock positions.

My frustrations are a bit exaggerated for humor purposes. Its not that bad.

Though an internal cam that tracks movements would make the experience friction less.

I have no problem keeping my hand on the wheel, it would just be nice if it knew my hand was on the wheel. I can usually find the sweet spot and avoid the nag but sometimes I feel that the biggest distraction when in autopilot is trying to not get nagged.

Or just use the left or right scroll wheel. Adjusting the speed or music volume slightly also satisfies the nag.