Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Are you OK with AutoPilot jail?

Do you want to have AP jail on your car?

• Yes

Votes: 215 76.8%
  • No

Votes: 65 23.2%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I After much cursing, the remedy was then to pull over on the side of the highway was cars speeding past, which in itself was much less safe than not being put in AP jail in the first place.

So why did they do it? Wouldn't the safest thing to do be to either drive without it, or come off at the next rest or services spot and do it there. This reminds me of when people miss their exist and reverse back up to it.

With Drive on nav, if you are not in the lane it wants you to be in, you cannot see the "light grip on wheel message" as it is hidden behind the message telling you to move into the far right lane 17 miles before you need to.

You can only tell by the blue flashing lights, and if you miss that or it does not register your hands on the wheel well then you get the beeps...

AP seems to require almost enough pressure force on the wheel to accidentally disable it. I get nagged all the time with my hands on the wheel.

My only problem with AP jail is my frantic squeezing, banging, shaking, and shoving of the wheel doesn't register and always kick off the nag.

Internal camera needs image recognition for my middle finger so I can tell it I am alert and aware.
It doesn't respond to squeezing, etc. It responds to torque ( turning force ). If you ever had a car that was a little out of alignment or had a tire unevenly worn and you had to put a little turning force on the wheel to keep it straight, that's what the Teslas want. It only takes one hand lightly resting on either side of the wheel to provide this. The weight of the hand and arm is enough.

After much cursing, the remedy was then to pull over on the side of the highway was cars speeding past, which in itself was much less safe than not being put in AP jail in the first place.
Honestly, this is why autopilot jail shouldn't be reset by shifting to park. It should be time-based. Or maybe reset when plugged in; not many chargers are in unsafe places. People shouldn't be encouraged to put themselves in a less safe position just to turn autopilot back on.

With Drive on nav, if you are not in the lane it wants you to be in, you cannot see the "light grip on wheel message" as it is hidden behind the message telling you to move into the far right lane 17 miles before you need to.

You can only tell by the blue flashing lights, and if you miss that or it does not register your hands on the wheel well then you get the beeps...

AP seems to require almost enough pressure force on the wheel to accidentally disable it. I get nagged all the time with my hands on the wheel.
Use the right or left scroll wheels. This also works for the nag. Easier than grabbing the wheel and risk disengaging.

Do you guys think it is acceptable not being able to engage the AP whenever it is safe to do so?

Requiring to park the car and open/close the door to re-engage it is plain stupid.

It is a safty issue as well. The driver might get into an accident because of not being able to turn it back on.
So you ignored the multiple warnings to keep your hands on the wheel, the car disabled AP (as it should) until you stop, put it in Park, and then back to Drive, and you think this is a “safty issue” because you might get into an accident when AP is not available?

Have you forgotten how to drive a car without Auto Pilot?

And by the way, when AP is disabled because you ignored the warnings, the Tesla safety features such as Automatic Emergency Braking remain operational.

I’ve been locked out twice, that I can recall. Both times it happened, I had one or both hands on the wheel and the car just hadn’t recognized it — either because the road had been straight for awhile or because the system just didn’t recognize the weight of my hand on the wheel. I was pissed off when it happened.

Mercedes drive pilot is much quicker to recognize a handhold on the same steering wheel. This is something Tesla could improve.

Another thing they could do is make the warning vibrate the wheel. If I’m watching the road, I may not notice the white outline in the instrument panel. But I would feel a vibration in the wheel and would give it a tug so it knows I’m still around.

I am just surprised that many people ok with the AP jail.

It’s more that those who voted yes to your poll (myself included) want AP “jail” to be on everyone else’s car, not necessarily their own. I know I’m a good driver and use AP properly, or at least I hope I do. After over 7 months of ownership and 8200 miles of driving my 3 I’ve never gotten AP angry enough at me to put me in AP jail. Many here probably feel the same way about how they use AP. I also know how many other crappy drivers that are out there that I wouldn’t trust without the current AP nags/restrictions. We’ve all seen the stories of Tesla drivers who were, or claimed to be, driving with AP engaged and then they crash into a stationary object on the road. I’d bet in nearly all of those cases that the crashes could have been avoided if the driver was paying more attention to the road. This is exactly what the nags and jail are designed to prevent. There is no perfect solution to this problem but I think the current implementation works well to discourage/correct/punish bad AP behavior. None of us want to see more Tesla vehicle crashes and neither does Tesla.

Do you guys think it is acceptable not being able to engage the AP whenever it is safe to do so?

Requiring to park the car and open/close the door to re-engage it is plain stupid.

It is a safty issue as well. The driver might get into an accident because of not being able to turn it back on.
APJail is fine, but there should be less onerous ways to get out of jail the first time or two.

Reactions: Matthew Hill
I've never been put in jail, and I think the nag jail is needed. But I can see myself hitting 90 while trying to pass someone and hitting a gap (heck, there are some roads with 85 mph limits around here). It would be nice if it was a 10 minute time out or something, rather than needing to exit, pull over, switch to park, then resume.

So why did they do it? Wouldn't the safest thing to do be to either drive without it, or come off at the next rest or services spot and do it there. This reminds me of when people miss their exist and reverse back up to it.
I wouldn't mind AP Jail, although it should be easier to get out of it. Periodically I get penalized when my hand is on the wheel. I have a VERY light touch that was beat into me when I was learning to fly many years ago. If I put 2 hands on the wheel, my instructor would tell me to get the right hand off of the wheel, it has plenty to do handling the Mic, radios, throttle, mixture, and prop. I also learned to trim the the control surfaces so it only took a light touch to control the airplane. If you weren't trimmed, your hand and arm would get stressed from fighting the controls. That habit followed me to my cars. So even though I have my hand on the wheel, the car complains that my hand isn't on the wheel. I asked service at Tesla how does it know that my hands are on the wheel; they said I had to squeeze the wheel periodically. Then I was driving down the road dutifully squeezing the wheel even though if felt wrong to do so. I would still get incorrect warnings that my hand is not on the wheel. I ended up playing with the wheel and discovered that if I forced a slight jiggle on the wheel I wouldn't get the warning. I would not mind if the car would yell at me when my hands aren't on the wheel, but it is irritating that it yells when they are on the wheel. I did discover that on my Wife's X that since I can't rest my elbow on the door, that you have to hold the wheel differently. I think the feedback to AP is the resistance to turning that your hand gives when the car makes slight adjustments. I'm getting used to it but apparently a light touch is cause for punishment.