Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Are you OK with AutoPilot jail?

Do you want to have AP jail on your car?

• Yes

Votes: 215 76.8%
  • No

Votes: 65 23.2%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Voted yes, but I don't like the question. I want AP jail on other people's cars. People are stupid enough with autopilot, a cool down like this seems reasonable. If somebody is repeatedly leaving hands off the wheel for long periods then they should get locked out.
As my grandfather used to say "Drive carefully and watch out for all those other assholes on the road" (the implication being, we are ourselves an asshole on the road) :cool:

Reactions: Nocturnal
It’s a universal law that people destroy themselves when they have access to nice things.

It would a matter of hours probably before the first person kills themselves or others with zero nag AP.

Like firearms it only takes a very tiny fraction of the population to cause trouble for all owners.

Last edited:
Reactions: RKBA
Try passing on a highway in Texas or Utah with 80mph speed limit. AP jails itself if you accelerate to 90mph without disengaging it.

As others have already pointed out, AP is not able to drive safely above 80 mph. It can see ahead only so far, and above a certain speed cannot react to the incoming information in time. Although I never drive 80 mph, there are numerous circumstances when I disengage autosteer, sometimes briefly.

When you must go over 80, disengage autosteer. Re-engage it when it is safe to do so.

Autopilot busted me for the 90mph rule this weekend and threw me in jail for it. I guess it was better the car then the cops. I'm fine with the 90mph rule because even them I had two hands on the wheel for safety.

Attachments

• Jail.PNG
    Jail.PNG
    652.2 KB · Views: 58
It is a safty issue as well. The driver might get into an accident because of not being able to turn it back on.

If that is the case then everyone who got the the base SR without autopilot also has a safety issue.
I have driven thousands of miles on the highway without any cruise control. If I have to have some form of cruise control or autopilot and I was not fully alert, I should not use that method of steering the vehicle and should get off the highway and take a rest till I was refreshed and safe to resume driving.

Two ways it can happen:

1. Fail to respond 3 times to "Apply light force to steering wheel" to the degree that audible beeps occur on each of the 3 occasions.

2. Exceed 90 MPH while autosteer is engaged.

Either of these results in "Autopilot disabled for the remainder of this drive", informally called "AP Jail". To reset, you must stop the car and place it in Park.
The speed limit in Nevada and Idaho is 80MPH. I found it slowed me down a lot, since I could just go the speed limit, and everything would be fine (Top US Speed Limits). I loved it. I stayed at the 80 and the 75 limits for a thousand miles the last time I rented a Model S from Enterprise with the $40 unlimited mileage option.

If you're going 90MPH, you're approaching a speed where you need to be 100% animal focused on driving safely, because everything is going by and happening so fast. You need great eye sight, great athletic physics abilities, and an ability to value life like no one else. You also need experience and knowledge in what to pay attention to that no very young person has. I.e., you're already well away from what the law allows, since the law for roads is not that trusting. I am OK with AP saying you did something wrong by "forgetting" to turn it off at that speed. In fact, I demand it.

I voted yes for the above particulars; as soon as the particulars change, my vote is null and void for the changed particulars. Teslas are not self-driving cars.
My only problem with AP jail is my frantic squeezing, banging, shaking, and shoving of the wheel doesn't register and always kick off the nag.

Internal camera needs image recognition for my middle finger so I can tell it I am alert and aware.
Agreed where applicable! I have a fantastically fine touch, and Teslas usually assume I'm not attentive when I'm super-attentive!
I would like Tesla to have a 3 strikes policy. 3 times you get put in jail your car should lose access to EAP for ever and no refunds.
I would modify that to say refunds required, and a 5 strike policy, and I'd be for it, if it was vocally forthcoming about it when you pulled over. Appeals would be allowed for those of us with fine feather touch that have difficulty turning into brutes.
I'm okay with it for people who continually disregarding "hands on wheel" messages. But for the rare occasion when you exceed 90mph, it's super frustrating. I'm fine with it disengaging AP temporarily, but the "penalty" is too much given there's no warning, and it's too easy to forget about the 90mph limit.

It's never happened to me personally while driving, but twice while a passenger in my brother's car in the middle of a 4 hour road trip he found himself in an unsafe situation with trucks merging or in a truck's blindspot and sped up to move to a safer position and exceeded 90mph. After much cursing, the remedy was then to pull over on the side of the highway was cars speeding past, which in itself was much less safe than not being put in AP jail in the first place.
Safer to keep the win and self-drive for the rest of that leg. In no way should he have admitted defeat and pulled over in the middle of traffic: super dangerous, as you said. Just turn down the music and lower the talking and pay more attention to driving.
It doesn't seem as if any of the methods that you are using works. There's two different things that the system recognizes. The first is torque on the wheel, that's putting pressure to the right or left, just as you would to take it off autopilot, but just not as much. One hand resting on a side should be sufficient,.

The second, and newer method is button pressing. If you roll the volume up or down one notch, that's all that is needed.
FANTASTIC! I would be one of the volume-rollers, to be sure. I wish I had that last time I was using AP.
A sign of the times. Taking zero personal responsibility for being a doofus to get jailed in the first place. And the laughable “unsafe” if I don’t have autopilot. The world we live in...
It's all they know. I won't let them off the hook for it; I'd inform them of their ignorance and what they are ignorant about and maybe who caused their ignorance and how to become unignorant, and keep them convicted guilty.
I've seen this comment so many times. AFAIK, there are no sensors in the steering wheel that informs the car it is being 'squeezed'. What the car recognizes is torque against the wheel, which can be applied by pulling or pushing anywhere on the wheel. It doesn't have to be very strong, in fact I've found the mere weight of my arms on either or both sides (if turning) is enough.
Sounds like another lawyer lie. "You can't tell them to steer the car off the road!" "But that's not what we're telling them! We're telling them light pressure only!" "I'm your lawyer; do as I say! (But give me an option to turn nag off on just my car.)" Probably one of the lawyers on the Board of Directors decreed this.

Last edited: