Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Are you paying for premium connectivity?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I pay for it because:
  1. I use the streaming service. Over panorama on phone, or paying for iHeart, or other streaming services.
  2. I like the traffic notification, Live in Vegas, and drive often in CA. I can literally drive normally, and see around the corner traffic is red, and plan for sudden slowdowns. As well as on the fly plan around heavy traffic areas.
  3. I have used live sentry viewing before. Sentry Alarm has only happened once so far for me. And can honestly say it felt good to be able to bring up live videos.

Reactions: BitJam
I had it free for a year, but did not buy it once that free service was over. I found in that year I did not use satellite view
while driving as I found it to be too busy and I did not use the music options provided. I stream XM from my phone, since I pay for xm in another vehicle the phone streaming comes free. If the service was via satellite I would buy as I do get out of cell tower range on vacations so that would make it useful.

Reactions: BitJam
I pay for premium connectivity but it's useless for music streaming on Spotify unless you have Spotify's premium account which I don't .I prefer YouTube music that comes with their premium bundle, so I end up using BT to stream music.

So far premium connectivity has mostly been useful to stream Disney+ and Netflix to keep the kids entertained on the road when we are at a SC.

Just got my MYLR today and got really good use out of premium connectivity on the long drive home. Apple Music is much better than depending on bluetooth for example. Seems to be really clean and useful. Using my phone as a hot spot is pretty redundant. I signed up for a year to save a bit.

An excerpt from the manual:
Screenshot_20230309_104928_Chrome.jpg

You can use your cellphone as alternative for traffic data.
Most cell plans (at least in the US) have monthly data caps for hotspot use, so this isn't always a cost-effective option. Also, there's the inconvenience of enabling a hotspot every time someone goes out for a drive... multiplied by number of drivers sharing the car...

I let it expire and was fine without it at first. Lately, I am finding it annoying to use my phone's nav. Avoiding traffic is essential around Denver or going to the mountains. I also miss being able to tell the car to play whatever song I can think of.

I just looked on the app and I didn't see the annual option. Is that only from the car?

Do we know where Tesla get's their traffic updates from.

I have come to "love" google maps and their traffic prediction, it quickly takes into account the traffic density, the speed cars travel on specific sections and if there is an accident it pretty quickly marks the area in red, so that i know, sometimes ½ hour in advance that something has happened at a given location, this ups the safety a lot, being able to visually see, that traffic is stopped.

Is tesla "buying" the traffic data from google, or do they rely on real time data from other Tesla's ?

I would guess that there are a lot more cars with google navigation on, than there are tesla's, atleast in "my" country, so i would imagine google's data being more precise.

Asking because, if Tesla is using their own, i am not going to bother paying, to get the traffic data atleast. There might be other reasons, but i will then just use google navigation on my phone as a supplemen to the Tesla navigation.

I let it expire and was fine without it at first. Lately, I am finding it annoying to use my phone's nav. Avoiding traffic is essential around Denver or going to the mountains. I also miss being able to tell the car to play whatever song I can think of.

I just looked on the app and I didn't see the annual option. Is that only from the car?

I have come to "love" google maps and their traffic prediction, it quickly takes into account the traffic density, the speed cars travel on specific sections and if there is an accident it pretty quickly marks the area in red, so that i know, sometimes ½ hour in advance that something has happened at a given location, this ups the safety a lot, being able to visually see, that traffic is stopped.

Is tesla "buying" the traffic data from google, or do they rely on real time data from other Tesla's ?

I would guess that there are a lot more cars with google navigation on, than there are tesla's, atleast in "my" country, so i would imagine google's data being more precise.

Asking because, if Tesla is using their own, i am not going to bother paying, to get the traffic data atleast. There might be other reasons, but i will then just use google navigation on my phone as a supplemen to the Tesla navigation.
Tesla mapping gets traffic data for routing always. It is not dependent on the Premium Connectivity subscription.

The subscription gets you the visualization.

I believe it’s google…At least that’s what it says on the satellite view of the map.

I pay. I think for less than 10 bucks a month its definitely worth it. Consider that HBO is 15.99 a month and many subscriptions more. Their connectivity makes things much much easier. I can listen to news networks, or music, have a huge GPS map with traffic, Love doing Caraoke with the kids but even alone its fun :) all for the price of a bag of popcorn at the movies.

Google Maps for presentation
Mapbox for routing
INRIX (or maybe now in-house) for traffic data
But the question is...Where and how does Inrix get their data.

I know google maps knows where there are traffic jams, slow moving traffic and whatnot, because whenever i drive on a stretch of road, with google maps or navigation active, my phone relays if i am driving, stopped and/or at what speed i am travelling.

If INRIX does traffic data, i wonder where they get info from, and how accurate it is..Google seems pretty accurate, i have done 200 mile trips where i arrived 5 minutes later than the initial estimate when i started driving, and this was offcourse with 2 pitstops to go to the restroom, which takes a bit of time.