Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Are you paying for premium connectivity?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If I buy Tesla premium service, do I need Netflix or Apple music subscriptions separately too or it is inluded?
You need it.
My free month's trial ends on 1st April and at the moment I am certainly going to subscribe. I think in the UK its a monthly subscription payment but I'd rather pay it all up front to have one less monthly bill if at all possible.

I think it is only in the US, you can get a yearly sub.

Here in Denmark, the price is ~$14 a month, and no yearly subscription option or reduced price for a year.
I will note that only the monthly subscription was on my phone app. The yearly subscription was available from the car's UI.

I let it expire and was fine without it at first. Lately, I am finding it annoying to use my phone's nav. Avoiding traffic is essential around Denver or going to the mountains. I also miss being able to tell the car to play whatever song I can think of.

I just looked on the app and I didn't see the annual option. Is that only from the car?
If you hit the add button in the upgrade software menu, you will get the $9.99 per month, but also a $99/year option. There are a few confirmation steps, so you will not be charged without knowing.

• Informative
Reactions: Noflash
I had the free 30 day premium connectivity which lapsed yesterday. I seemed to have a lot of music choices (about 25 alternative rock stations for example). From watching previous posts on this site, it seems you have to have subscriptions to some of the music streams as well. I didn't have them when I first got the car. Was I getting some free subscriptions in addition to the premium connectivity? Not sure I want to get my opening bid of $9.99/month and then add etc., etc. when I can't even get SXM due to hardware limitations in my new MY.

• Informative
Reactions: zoomer0056
I had the free 30 day premium connectivity which lapsed yesterday. I seemed to have a lot of music choices (about 25 alternative rock stations for example). From watching previous posts on this site, it seems you have to have subscriptions to some of the music streams as well. I didn't have them when I first got the car. Was I getting some free subscriptions in addition to the premium connectivity? Not sure I want to get my opening bid of $9.99/month and then add etc., etc. when I can't even get SXM due to hardware limitations in my new MY.
From what i have seen, TuneIn radio should be on the Tesla, this is free streaming of a lot of radio stations so you should be able to stream a lot without having to pay.

Free = Commercials

Turn the question around and ask: Are you paying for mud flaps, floor mats, bins for the rear hatch area, PPF, wheels etc?

I drive a regular commute so you could blindfold me and I could still tell you exactly where the traffic slow downs are

I paid for the premium once the free ran out. Not sure exactly what it gets me, but at $99 a year who cares?

From what i have seen, TuneIn radio should be on the Tesla, this is free streaming of a lot of radio stations so you should be able to stream a lot without having to pay.

Free = Commercials
Update: I was able to get Tesla Streaming (Slacker Radio) working after signing out of a free account and rebooting both my car and my phone. It had the 30 (not 25) alternative stations plus many other choices in different genres. It is commercial free and no DJ banter. I think Tesla has a deal with Slacker to provide the plus (commercial free) service to Tesla Premium Connectivity subscribers. BTW, you may see Slacer Radio called a few other things because of a purchase by another company and rebranding. Slacker Radio a.k.a. "LiveXLive Powered by Slacker" or "LiveOne".

Update: I was able to get Tesla Streaming (Slacker Radio) working after signing out of a free account and rebooting both my car and my phone. It had the 30 (not 25) alternative stations plus many other choices in different genres. It is commercial free and no DJ banter. I think Tesla has a deal with Slacker to provide the plus (commercial free) service to Tesla Premium Connectivity subscribers. BTW, you may see Slacer Radio called a few other things because of a purchase by another company and rebranding. Slacker Radio a.k.a. "LiveXLive Powered by Slacker" or "LiveOne".
I wonder if this will be available on cars "world wide" or only in the US.

To be honest i dont really care if i listen to a local, european or US radio station, all i care about is minimal commercial breaks and not a lot of actual talking, i am there for the music only :)

I wonder if this will be available on cars "world wide" or only in the US.

To be honest i dont really care if i listen to a local, european or US radio station, all i care about is minimal commercial breaks and not a lot of actual talking, i am there for the music only :)
Try this link: (It only gets me to US information. YMMV.)
https://www.tesla.com/en_eu/support/connectivity
Premium Connectivity currently is available as a monthly subscription of $9.99 plus ... Europe, Austria, Belgium, Czech Republic, Denmark, Germany, Spain, ...

For anyone with an iphone use the charging automation shortcut to turn on personal hotspot.
Seems more reliable than the driving focus option.
Obviously relies on you putting the phone on the wireless charger when getting in!
If running android there are a few ITTT options (If This Then That)

On my other car, i have my phone set to turn on wifi hotspot whenever it connects to that particular bluetooth device (Car radio) and disconnect when it disconnects from bluetooth. This radio is an older android radio, i use to stream music from an app on the internet

Reactions: KevinT3141
I don't know about any of the streaming services. I haven't looked. But I'm happy to click the microphone button and have the car respond to "play Metallica ". Premium connectivity might be in play here. For sure, you get real time traffic with premium. When navigating you will see red on the map for a slow down.

Reactions: Electroman
I also paid the annual subscription. I have all of my music on Spotify (including all of my '80's mixtapes that I converted to playlists during Covid isolation...). Not sure why someone would want to use a tiny cell phone screen when you have that big, beautiful screen front and center.
Have you noticed how hot that screen gets? I was playing a game at a supercharger yesterday that required my finger to be on the screen at all times during the game. It was so hot I had to switch fingers midway through. I had never noticed this before.

I had it free for the first year, and I've done without it this last year, and I don't feel I'm missing out on anything I'd really like. For me (Canada), it's $14 a month, plus tax, and all I think I'd really use is the live traffic. Since it selects a route based on that traffic information anyway - and I have traffic info on my phone - I don't feel it's really worth $200 a year.