Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Arizona - Phoenix and Tucson Corridor

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here is some info about registering your car in AZ. First, you don't pay any sales tax to Tesla. Even though this may be listed in your prelim-MVPA this will be removed in the final MVPA. The car is delivered with a temporary California registration that is good for 4 weeks. My final paperwork to get the car registered at the DMV came about two weeks after the car, but this may have changed and maybe you will get the paperwork with the car. You will pay the sales tax at the DMV which is about 6.5% of your purchase price. I guess the tax is only the AZ sales tax and there is no city tax added in that in my location (Glendale) the sales tax is around 9% but I only had to pay the 6.5%. They do accept credit cards to pay the tax. To register the car for 5 years was only about $150 (I figure that this is around a $4000 savings over 5 years) and I was able to get the blue alt-fuels plate so that I can drive in the HOV lane.

Thanks for the info, kishdude! :)

My delivery window is Jan 23-Feb 5, P4914. Originally picked the 40 kWh battery, then decided to upgrade to 85 kWh on Dec. 13. We probably would have had our Model S by now if I had picked that originally :p.

85 kWh, Green Metallic, Grey Leather, Obeche Matte, Pano Roof, Active Air, 19" Wheels, Tech Package, Sound Studio, Rear Facing Seats, Parcel Shelf, Paint Armor, HPWC (single charger only, just for ease of use!)

Thanks for the info, kishdude! :)

My delivery window is Jan 23-Feb 5, P4914. Originally picked the 40 kWh battery, then decided to upgrade to 85 kWh on Dec. 13. We probably would have had our Model S by now if I had picked that originally :p.

85 kWh, Green Metallic, Grey Leather, Obeche Matte, Pano Roof, Active Air, 19" Wheels, Tech Package, Sound Studio, Rear Facing Seats, Parcel Shelf, Paint Armor, HPWC (single charger only, just for ease of use!)

DrMikki, my delivery window is Jan 22-Feb 5. Finalized on Dec 14. Could you post here when you receive the VIN and final delivery window?

Will do! Hope it's very soon...

In other news, Solar City goofed up our plan for the HPWC installation, and is now saying it will cost over $3k more than originally quoted since they will have to rip up our entryway sidewalk and dig a trench in our grass >.>. Last I heard on Friday they are escalating the matter to see of Solar City can absorb some of the cost. I wish they had discovered this several months ago vs 10 days short of our delivery window. I'm strongly considering getting other estimates if the supervisors at Solar City can't make this right.

Happy to report that I got "the" email and button late this afternoon. Res# 15,430. As you all know, no I have 4 weeks to finalize. My biggest concern is that I have not experienced a "live" model S. I did have a GM Impact AKA EV-1 for a month in the mid 1990's, so I have a feel for the torque etc but don't like the idea of plunking down MAJOR $ without a drive. I have called and emailed the Denver store a couple of times to arrange a test drive but so far, they have not responded. Any suggestions? Is any model S owner on this forum willing to meet for lunch (my treat) on a weekend and introduce me to the "S".

Happy to report that I got "the" email and button late this afternoon. Res# 15,430. As you all know, no I have 4 weeks to finalize. My biggest concern is that I have not experienced a "live" model S. I did have a GM Impact AKA EV-1 for a month in the mid 1990's, so I have a feel for the torque etc but don't like the idea of plunking down MAJOR $ without a drive. I have called and emailed the Denver store a couple of times to arrange a test drive but so far, they have not responded. Any suggestions? Is any model S owner on this forum willing to meet for lunch (my treat) on a weekend and introduce me to the "S".

I was treated the same way with the Oakbrook Illinois store. I emailed someone at Tesla (sorry don't remember the name) and told them I had a reservation umber, etc. and that the folks in Oakbrook were not replying. I got a call the next day from Oakbrook for a test drive. ;-)

Last edited:
You should go in to the Park Meadows store in person (preferably early on a weekday if possible), and you should have no problem getting a test drive, especially as a reservation holder. I know that I did not have any problem getting a test drive before I reserved back on December 6.

I plan to meet REM tomorrow to offer a test drive provided that he'll put up his home and first-born child as collateral in case of an accident.

We have had the S now for three weeks and are completely spoiled. I drove my Prius to a reseller last week and could not believe that it felt so weird, noisy, and slooooow. My wife was driving the S car today and put a BMW M3 to shame. The M3 went home with his tailpipes between his legs.

I am sometimes surprised and pleased when I see inexpensive gasoline at a local station and then realize that it isn't important anymore. JiffyLube had a special price that almost had me turning into the station yesterday. Old habits die hard.

i thought I'd be smart and get brochures to pass out as I'm stopped daily in parking lots by interested people, but the Scottsdale Tesla showroom only had two Motor Trend reprints to give me. Damn!

We've ordered personalized plates for the car - PLUGS N - it wasn't my first choice, but it still makes the point.

Let me know if there is an interest in another 'Meet, Greet and Drink (moderately!)'. We'll be happy to host it again or pleased to attend elsewhere! Mark & Lu

EVS at Picacho Peak

In case anyone is interested, I stopped at the Shell station at Picacho Peak to check out the EV chargers there. They are Eaton EVS/chargers administered by GoE3/ChargePoint. They have 2-headed L2 70A J1772 EVS and a 2-headed CHAdeMO charger (which was not operational). After 30 minutes of charging on the L2 EVS, the total cost was $0. I think that since these chargers are not on the ChargePoint map yet, maybe they are not ready for prime time.
Picacho Chargers.jpg

Charging Screen at Picacho.jpg

Araxara, thanks for the interest. We are near Tatum and Shea in Phoenix. MarkR from this forum contacted me earlier in the week and was kind enough to give us a briefing on the MS and a wonderful test drive. In fact, we just returned from a drive on the surface streets in north phoenix, SR 51 and the 101! THANKS MarkR for your time and consideration. What a great car. Now I am eager to finalize the configuration of my S.

You should go in to the Park Meadows store in person (preferably early on a weekday if possible), and you should have no problem getting a test drive, especially as a reservation holder. I know that I did not have any problem getting a test drive before I reserved back on December 6.
Thanks for the advice, GAB. I had targeted that store but now that MarkR has stopped by, I don't think that I'll need to make the trip. Just need to make decisions on the configuration.

- - - Updated - - -

Mark - I'd be interested - let me know.
I would also be interested.

Well, I just received my countersigned final MVPA, so it's getting real, almost tangible. Financing is secure through PenFed and the garage is prepped.

Thanks kishdude, for providing the insight into Arizona-specific quirks, especially the sales tax & registration info. That buys me some time to get the best possible sale price for my Prius.

I'm thrilled to have met a number of you at Mark's own "Get Amped" party, and I would certainly love to get together as owners!

One question, is it unlawful to drive an EV in the HOV lane prior to receiving the cloud plate?

That buys me some time to get the best possible sale price for my Prius.

I'm thrilled to have met a number of you at Mark's own "Get Amped" party, and I would certainly love to get together as owners!

One question, is it unlawful to drive an EV in the HOV lane prior to receiving the cloud plate?
Several points: We were VERY surprised that CarMax offered $17k for our 2010 Prius with 36K miles. If you use CarMax as part of Tesla's trade-in, your sales tax will drop to the amount you actually paid, rather than the gross purchase price.

I'm very open to hosting another meet up, but know that REM and Kisdude have also offered. Okay somebody, come up with a time and date!

I'm fairly certain that it is the Alternative Fuel license plate rather than the type of car that allows the use of the HOV lane in Arizona, but would be very amused if you would try to convince the Highway Patrol of your progressive logic.