Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Arizona Superchargers (location speculation, discussion)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ref: Hampden Inn, 111 Twin Buttes Rd. Gallup, NM 87301. I called them this afternoon and asked if anyone can message me a few photos of the construction that IS confirmed by them to be underway. We'll see what happens! It often works.. someone with a cell phone is usually willing to take a few photos and send{message them} them to me. If they come through..I'll post asap!!
I also have another call in to the Courtyard by Marriott in Flagstaff AZ for pictures of any construction there. The {different person than last night} said some construction is going on but didn't know what it was and couldn't immediately get away to take pictures. uggg! …did take my number though, so again, we'll see…
:rolleyes:

Holbrook city manager confirmed that a permit has been applied for:
AzJournal.com » Tesla Electric Car Charging Station To Be Built In Holbrook
Yes, this was discussed earlier in this thread (Arizona Superchargers - Page 10). The real question now is if Tesla has updated their application and if so, has that new application been approved? I think, with Holbrook being a small town, the application process will go rather quickly. It's just a matter of Tesla being ready for the installation.

Just got off the phone with Margaret LeVecke who is in charge of the Tesla SC project at Carl's Jr in Arizona. She told me that Kingman is either under construction or about to be. Gila Bend is also poised for construction. Also, she indicated that her company does not extend to Carl's Jrs in California so no help on Indio. Lastly, she indicated that she was going to pass my number to her contact at TM who would be in a better position to provide construction scheduling. I mentioned to her that TM has not been very forthcoming on providing that kind of information, but she said it won't hurt to try.

I've requested a picture of earliest construction at Carl's Jr. in Kingman AZ. "There is orange netting out there around cones" He took a picture and hopefully will message to me soon. ….. hummm I'm not having much luck with this approach:( …… it's been 50 minutes already!!

I've requested a picture of earliest construction at Carl's Jr. in Kingman AZ. "There is orange netting out there around cones" He took a picture and hopefully will message to me soon. ….. hummm I'm not having much luck with this approach:( …… it's been 50 minutes already!!
Do you know which of the two Carl's Jr location in Kingman it is? I assume it is is the western one on Beale Street.

Jill’s Tesla flight plan, from Phx, AZ to Camarillo, CA (1 Supercharger) in December

(This is slightly off topic based on the title, but not sure where else to post)
Jill’s Tesla flight plan, from Phoenix, AZ to Camarillo, CA (1 Supercharger) in December, 2013

She’s driving a 60kWh car. (I’m thinking back to the WWII P51 Mustangs that had external fuel tanks they could jettison… but, ugh. That’s very off-topic.)

I specifically talked with my wife and am posting about the planned flight plan. It is a combination of speed, altitude (elevation change), range, temperature, and winds. (To keep it simple, we’ll ignore weight.)
@Tyl and and @napabill…. please chime in.
PLAN:
Saturday, December 21st. 8am.
We will range charge from our home in N.E Phoenix. From a prior test run, she should have ~197 miles rated range; it’s 148 miles distance to Quartzite Superecharger. (Done! I drove 65 mph in town and 80 mph once out of town. I arrived in Quartzite with 29 miles remaining rated range. Exterior temperature was warmer.)
Arrive at the Quartzite Supercharger with ~29 rated range.

Here is the planned route and recharge stops at: http://goo.gl/maps/uvjA2

Quartzite to Chevron Chiriaco Summit‎
62450 Chiriaco Rd, Chiriaco Summit, CA 92201
89 miles

Chevron Chiriaco Summit‎
To Brea Tesla Store
400 Brea Mall, Brea, CA 92821-5737
138 Miles

Brea Tesla Store to Camarillo, CA
85 miles

So, those of you who have traveled this route, what knowledge can you share?
(Keep in mind, she's traveling with a 7-year-old, so frequent stops are OK!)

--A.

Last edited:
(This is slightly off topic based on the title, but not sure where else to post)
Jill’s Tesla flight plan, from Phoenix, AZ to Camarillo, CA (1 Supercharger) in December, 2013

She’s driving a 60kWh car. (I’m thinking back to the WWII P51 Mustangs that had external fuel tanks they could jettison… but, ugh. That’s very off-topic.)

I specifically talked with my wife and am posting about the planned flight plan. It is a combination of speed, altitude (elevation change), range, temperature, and winds. (To keep it simple, we’ll ignore weight.)
@Tyl and and @napabill…. please chime in.
PLAN:
Saturday, December 21st. 8am.
We will range charge from our home in N.E Phoenix. From a prior test run, she should have ~197 miles rated range; it’s 148 miles distance to Quartzite Superecharger. (Done! I drove 65 mph in town and 80 mph once out of town. I arrived in Quartzite with 29 miles remaining rated range. Exterior temperature was warmer.)
Arrive at the Quartzite Supercharger with ~29 rated range.

Here is the planned route and recharge stops at: http://goo.gl/maps/uvjA2

Quartzite to Chevron Chiriaco Summit‎
62450 Chiriaco Rd, Chiriaco Summit, CA 92201
89 miles

Chevron Chiriaco Summit‎
To Brea Tesla Store
400 Brea Mall, Brea, CA 92821-5737
138 Miles

Brea Tesla Store to Camarillo, CA
85 miles

So, those of you who have traveled this route, what knowledge can you share?
(Keep in mind, she's traveling with a 7-year-old, so frequent stops are OK!)

--A.

I just did the trip in my 85 last weekend, went quartsite, Chiriaco then Hawthorne.
your route looks good, don't be surprised if you get unexpected range loss going up the hills into Palm Springs/ Indio.
The marriott Palm Springs is a nice place to charge if you need the extra stop.

To be honest I have done this trip a few times and I won't do it again until they complete all the superchargers. It just takes to long and I hate stopping at Chiriaco Summit it's just too busy and not a place I enjoy hanging out. If you have another car I would take that and complete the trip in 6hrs vs the 9hrs it's going to take you. I 2nd the range lost in Palm Springs it's quite a lot and would recommend a charge in Indio.

Monsoon, careful at the Brea Tesla store. I was there in August. One lady helped me get plugged in to charge while one guy told my wife they don't allow customers to charge there... Go figure.

I'll definitely call first and get a manager to confirm. Thanks.

To be honest I have done this trip a few times and I won't do it again until they complete all the superchargers. It just takes to long and I hate stopping at Chiriaco Summit it's just too busy and not a place I enjoy hanging out. If you have another car I would take that and complete the trip in 6hrs vs the 9hrs it's going to take you. I 2nd the range lost in Palm Springs it's quite a lot and would recommend a charge in Indio.

I could be persuaded, but my wife has the idea in her head. Once that happens... :)
I've got two locations in mind for recharging in Indio, just in case.

FWIW, I charged at Chiriaco yesterday enroute from Barstow through Quartzsite and back home to Tucson. On this trip, as well as the trip out to California on Dec 3, the Tesla HPWC was available. I used it for 1.5 hours the first time and 1 hour yesterday. No other cars came by to use it. But lots of other folks were curious...

The staff are confused about pricing. The first time is was $10 per hour and that included the first hour, so they charged $15. The second time it was $10 to unlock the box and $5/hour for power, so again $15. Go figure :)

FWIW, I charged at Chiriaco yesterday enroute from Barstow through Quartzsite and back home to Tucson. On this trip, as well as the trip out to California on Dec 3, the Tesla HPWC was available. I used it for 1.5 hours the first time and 1 hour yesterday. No other cars came by to use it. But lots of other folks were curious...

The staff are confused about pricing. The first time is was $10 per hour and that included the first hour, so they charged $15. The second time it was $10 to unlock the box and $5/hour for power, so again $15. Go figure :)

I'm planning on making a trip that covers part of that route in a week and a half. Where did you charge between Quartzsite and Tucson- or were you able to make it on a single range charge? Any chance you remember how much range you used going from Chiriaco to Quartzsite?

@PWRMEUP. "Clearance delivery"…… Your TFP looks solid. Prior to departure::: review your check list{s}. When you arrive Brea Tesla store, find store manager Ryan Beck. He will have lots of great information for you about additional places to charge in the SoCal area…. plus he is a hoot to chat with:)! My, yet to be, beaten path is PHX>SFO. I want to do it the easy way with Tesla Superchargers the entire trip. Soooo I'm craving the Indio CA area and Ontario CA area supercharging installations like mad. Please post any information you learn or find out about on your journey and, of course, safe travels.