Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Arizona Superchargers (location speculation, discussion)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For all that are interested, Arizona Revised Statute 28-876 makes non-EV parking in an EV marked space illegal and subject to a $350 fine. If any supercharger spots are ICEd here in Arizona, feel free to call the police and cite the below:

28-876. Parking spaces for electric vehicles; civil penalty

A. A person shall not stop, stand or park a motor vehicle within any parking space specially designated for parking and fueling motor vehicles fueled exclusively by electricity unless the motor vehicle is powered by electricity and has been issued an alternative fuel vehicle special plate or sticker pursuant to section 28-2416.

B. If a law enforcement officer finds a motor vehicle in violation of this section, the law enforcement officer shall issue a complaint to the operator or other person in charge of the motor vehicle or, if an operator or other person is not present, to the registered owner of the motor vehicle for a civil traffic violation.

C. A person who is found responsible for a violation of this section is subject to a civil penalty of at least three hundred fifty dollars. Notwithstanding section 28-1554, the civil penalties collected pursuant to this subsection shall be deposited in the state general fund.

I also wonder how this statue applies when the parking is on private property....I assume the Tesla SC's are all considered private property, so would be interesting how the police would deal with it.

This is peripheral to the present portion of the thread, but I have noticed that by statute, EVs are allowed on Arizona's HOV lanes only with the same stickers. That's of little consequence to me when I'm in this state, as we almost invariably drive with the other requisite two persons in the vehicle; regardless, as written the statute is chauvinistically intrastatal.....

I suspect they could enforce on private property, just as they would enforce illegal parking in a handicapped spot on private property. But it's hard to believe they would write a ticket to an EV charging in an EV spot.
Most officers are good guys who will err on the side of reason. The cops that I know have indicated that they consider the 'intent' of a statute when there is a question of applicability. The other realities are that this statute is rather obscure, not likely to very well known by officers, and most police officers don't go looking for minor infractions on private property.

I also wonder how this statue applies when the parking is on private property....I assume the Tesla SC's are all considered private property, so would be interesting how the police would deal with it.

Handicapped parking spots are also on private property yet receive the full protection of the law. I believe EV parking falls under the same umbrella.

- - - Updated - - -

This is peripheral to the present portion of the thread, but I have noticed that by statute, EVs are allowed on Arizona's HOV lanes only with the same stickers. That's of little consequence to me when I'm in this state, as we almost invariably drive with the other requisite two persons in the vehicle; regardless, as written the statute is chauvinistically intrastatal.....

There must be some demarcation on a vehicle noting that it is an alternative fuel vehicle. Certainly we cannot expect a highway patrol officer to carry a list of EVs with him/her in order to know which out of state cars not to ticket? By the same token, in California you need a special sticker to use the HOV lane. As a resident of Arizona with Arizona EV plates, I cannot use the HOV lane in California because I lack the stickers issued by the State of California even though I have Arizona EV plates that give me the right to use HOV in my home state. I would never imagine using the HOV lane in another state because each state has its own set of laws governing who can access those lanes.

I see your point, Amped. Do you see mine?

A LOT of drivers regularly operate their vehicles in more than one state. Consider the commuter - say, someone from New Jersey driving to New York, or Virginia to D.C. If these operators cannot make use of HOV lanes outside their state-of-registration, that may represent a compelling reason NOT to purchase an alternative fuel vehicle. Consider the situation in Arizona: a LOT of the state's economy is propelled by snowbirders (Guilty, your honor..... ;) ). If the HOV regs. are such as you suggest, that will, I can argue, provide some winter home-seekers to purchase their winter retreat in the state (a Texas or New Mexico or Florida) that does not impose such restrictions.

Just a few thoughts....

By the way, we were pulled over the other day when driving in Scottsdale. Traffic control did not appreciate the minuscule so-called temporary registration TMInc supplied us and had us affix to the rear window. He let us off, but claimed TM Inc. is not in the right....

Does anybody have updated info on the Superchargers to open in/near Flagstaff, Kingman, Yuma, Holbrook, Gila Bend, or Buckeye?

Mark -
there are seperate threads for Flagstaff and Kingman with pics of construction. Last pics were posted late last week, and Flagstaff looks fairly far along -- it could be open by Christmas. Kingman appears a week or so behind.

i really wish a mod would merger those threads into this one... Would be easier to follow...

Mark -
there are seperate threads for Flagstaff and Kingman with pics of construction. Last pics were posted late last week, and Flagstaff looks fairly far along -- it could be open by Christmas. Kingman appears a week or so behind.

i really wish a mod would merger those threads into this one... Would be easier to follow...
Disagree respectfully. I like that they each have own thread. Perhaps the orig post of this thread should be edited to include links to each of the individual threads. Unless they do create sub folders at some point.

+1 Jomo. I'm interested in some of the Arizona chargers more than others and appreciate separate threads for selfish reasons. Though I understand that multiple threads are more cumbersome for those who are interested in all of them.

I see your point, Amped. Do you see mine?

A LOT of drivers regularly operate their vehicles in more than one state. Consider the commuter - say, someone from New Jersey driving to New York, or Virginia to D.C. If these operators cannot make use of HOV lanes outside their state-of-registration, that may represent a compelling reason NOT to purchase an alternative fuel vehicle. Consider the situation in Arizona: a LOT of the state's economy is propelled by snowbirders (Guilty, your honor..... ;) ). If the HOV regs. are such as you suggest, that will, I can argue, provide some winter home-seekers to purchase their winter retreat in the state (a Texas or New Mexico or Florida) that does not impose such restrictions.

Just a few thoughts....

By the way, we were pulled over the other day when driving in Scottsdale. Traffic control did not appreciate the minuscule so-called temporary registration TMInc supplied us and had us affix to the rear window. He let us off, but claimed TM Inc. is not in the right....

Oh I agree with you, but I don't think the solution is for the officer to know which cars are EVs. If you want something to work across state lines, the individual states would have to cooperate (good luck) or there would have to be some federal mandate. But then you have individual states defining "alternative fuel" in different ways, not all states give HOV lane privileges to AFVs or EVs, etc. The solution should come at the federal level, in my opinion, to make the standard uniform across the nation.

Good news, Arizona Tesla owners.

The Buckeye Supercharger permit was approved today!

On-Line Permit Center

[BLD-13-01583 Commercial Miscellaneous

Public Site Address:
444 S WATSON RD
BUCKEYE AZ 85326

Parcel: 50419957 (Map)
Subdivision: SUNDANCE TOWNE CENTER Status: READY TO ISSUE

Expires:

Submitted:
Technically Complete:
Approved:
Issued:
Closed: 12/16/2013

12/19/2013

Project Description: INSTALLATION OF ELECTRIC CAR CHARGING STATION AND RELATED EQUIPMENT IN THE CARL'S JR PARKING LOT AT THE SUNDANCE TOWNE CENTER**PROJECT TO INCLUDE APPROXIMATELY 12' X 14' CONCRETE PAD AND CMU WALL ENCLOSURE TO SCREEN EQUIPMENT PER APPROVED PLANS**EXPEDITED REVIEW**

APPLICANT: BLACK & VEATCH
OWNER: VSTC LLC

ELECTRICAL
WACHTER INC
108 INDUSTRIAL DRIVE
ARNOLD MO 63010

License: 177117
Expires: 08/31/2014

Town of Buckeye Business License
WACHTER INC
108 INDUSTRIAL DRIVE
ARNOLD MO 63010

License: 3961
Expires: 04/30/2014

Parcel Owner Block/Lot
50419957 (Map)
SUNDANCE TOWNE CENTER
VSTC LLC

I live exactly 2 miles from this location! I would be happy to swing by there regularly and post photos of any construction progress.
I'd rather have you camp out down there and tell them it needs to be done by the 28th! I'll open a tab at Carl's for the workers if they agree to that schedule:wink:

- - - Updated - - -

But still nothing happening at Gila Bend, eh?

Good news, Arizona Tesla owners.

The Buckeye Supercharger permit was approved today!

On-Line Permit Center

Great! I imagine there is exactly zero chance that they'll have it done when I'm driving between Quartzsite and Tucson this Saturday on my way to Las Cruces. But I'll still hold out hope for a Christmas miracle and maybe it will be done on the 28th for the return trip . . .

Great! I imagine there is exactly zero chance that they'll have it done when I'm driving between Quartzsite and Tucson this Saturday on my way to Las Cruces. But I'll still hold out hope for a Christmas miracle and maybe it will be done on the 28th for the return trip . . .
If it is, we'll meet for a burger on the 28th. I'll be heading south on that day.