Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Arizona Superchargers (location speculation, discussion)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Cottonwood - I think the only exception to your downhill range recovery rule is if people are doing full range charges or if the batteries are quite cold. In those two circumstances, I couldn't really make meaningful use of much of the regen energy for the first 15-20 miles driven. Has that been your experience as well?

So, if you're charging at the top of a steep hill, that argues for doing a little less than a full charge and letting gravity do the rest for you. Saves time too (as I can attest from my Kingman to Barstow and Tejon Ranch to La Mesa runs earlier this month, both completed in my 60 with 1 mile of range left in the tank when I arrived at my destinations).

I suppose the Phoenix-Flagstaff stretch (esp the Campe Verde to Flagstaff) must be just such a stretch because ZBB's numbers are third time I've see someone come close to that "+7 per 1000 up, -3 per 1000 down" calculation on the drive.

Just be careful to keep excess usage caused by speed and driving style separate from potential energy (altitude) gain and loss. What I have done (nerd alert) is to correct my battery energy for current elevation relative to destination elevation, then calculate the ratio of rated miles used to actual miles traveled. When doing this, I have found that I get almost everything back going down that I use going up. Eisenhower Tunnel to Silverthorne and Wolf Creek Pass to Pagosa are both 10 rated mile regen hills. Even on those, I only lose a few miles. Good hypermile technique is also needed, or at least don't pump the accelerator too much, and slow down early enough that you don't need to use the brake very much entering turns.

In my opinion, backed by a lot of Colorado mountain driving, is that the 7 up, 3 down is a myth that has been perpetuated with little experimental data to back it up.

Many, including me, consider EVTripPlanner to do very good modeling. A drive that I do regularly is Pagosa Springs, CO to Silverthorne, CO. Put those cities in with an 85 and 19" wheels, the rest default. When you do this, it comes out with 307 Wh/mi (not bad), but it has 12,264 feet up and 10,558 feet down. As another case, put Phoenix to Flagstaff and back into EVTripPlanner. At first, the result came out at 360 Wh/mi for the round trip; was I wrong? Then I noticed that my Colorado route had an average speed of 55 mph, and the Arizona route had an average speed of 68 mph. When I turned down the speed limit multiplier to 0.85 to get an average speed of 57 mph, the round trip was 305 Wh/mi. Here are the detailed results at the lower speed:

RouteDistanceWh/miEnergyUpDown
PHX->FLG145.537654.710,3714,618
FLG->PHX145.523434.24,61810,371
Tot/Avg291.030588.914,98914,989

This supports my claim. The real user of excess energy on this Phoenix/Flagstaff round trip is the high speed limit on the interstate, not the loss of up versus down. With speeds near 55, you can get rated miles. Go faster and you use more energy per mile. On the other hand, the MS recovers almost all of the excess energy going down hill that was used going up.

As a further confirmation, I tried the Savannah, GA to Jacksonville, FL route. This is about as flat as it comes. The distance is 139 miles, and at a 1.0 speed limit factor, the average speed is 70 mph and the mileage is 357 Wh/mi. At .83, I get 58 mph and 293 Wh/mi. So according to EVTripPlanner, there is a little more energy used for these very mountainous routes versus the low country of Georgia, but even with these extremes, it is only 4% loss or 12 miles on that 15,000 foot up and down extreme. That's less than 1 net rated mile per 1,000 feet up and down!

My recommendation, use 7 rated miles per 1,000 feet up, and 6 down; and you will be very close.

Just remember, speed costs energy. As a corollary, wind can be a big effect. As opposed to altitude and potential energy, and as the physicists would say, wind is a non-conservative force; you never get back what you put in... :wink:

- - - Updated - - -

Cottonwood - I think the only exception to your downhill range recovery rule is if people are doing full range charges or if the batteries are quite cold. In those two circumstances, I couldn't really make meaningful use of much of the regen energy for the first 15-20 miles driven. Has that been your experience as well?

So, if you're charging at the top of a steep hill, that argues for doing a little less than a full charge and letting gravity do the rest for you. Saves time too (as I can attest from my Kingman to Barstow and Tejon Ranch to La Mesa runs earlier this month, both completed in my 60 with 1 mile of range left in the tank when I arrived at my destinations).

I agree completely with the full range charge and regen issue. You get very little regen for the first mile or two, some after 5-10, and almost everything after 15-20. The one exception is long, continuous descents even after 50 miles. After a kW-hr or so of big regen (>200 Wh-mi regen), I have seen the Supercharger taper charge limits take effect. That can hit you even at 80% SoC. The answer on a reasonably spaced Supercharger route is never charge to more than what you need with some margin. Once again, EVTripPlanner is a great predictor. My practice is to add 10-20% to that, more if the wind/weather looks really bad.

That was the worst 30 mile stretch. The full 130 miles was 383...

We're at Flagstaff again charging up for the return down the hill... Curious to see what the downhill average is!

We're back home... The 132 mile return trip (including a Starbucks detour in Flagstaff...) used 134 rated miles. I mostly drove 5 over the limit.

The grade down to Camp Verde is 18 miles -- with signs warning of 5% grade for multiple sections -- elevation drops from over ~6500 to ~3100 feet. Used 3 rated miles during that stretch, and noticed the kWh meter going down at times... at the bottom point crossing the Verde River, the prior 30 miles had used 145 Wh/Mi -- at 80mph. That was the stretch that was 550 Wh/mi at 75 on the way up...

IMG_9345.jpg
IMG_9349.jpg
IMG_9352.jpg

My supercharging travels last night took me from Gilbert AZ to Quartzsite AZ, on to Hawthorne CA, Buelleton CA, Atascadero CA, Gilroy CA etc. The one that was the most challenging in my 85kWh was going from Quartzsite AZ to Hawthorne CA non-stop. I had not made that connection before. Full charge in Q 260 indicated, parked in Hawthorne CA with 20 miles remaining. Traveled 257.8 miles. Now here is the weird thing. 257.8 +20 =277.8 ... more than I started with!!! This DID take some serious hyper milling!! I stayed with the trucks the entire time at 52mph. YOU CAN ALMOST GET RUN OVER OUT THERE DOING THIS!!!!!! I did it at night to lessen the traffic on I-10. Thank Goodness!! The rest of the trip was easy, as the rest of the superchargers are much closer together!!! 60 to 100 apart is ideal. I was getting back my first 50 miles in ten minutes!! I only charge to what I need to make the next supercharger and leave very little room for error. {I've made the run back and forth enough now to feel very, very comfortable with arriving at almost every supercharger with 1 to 10 or 20 miles remaining. From then on it's a quick 30 minute charge {or less} and I'm on my way. Here is a photo of my Q to H run just before charging in Hawthorne CA. Also are a few pictures of the Hawthorne superchargers at night. Hummm... Hawthorne must know I'm arriving!!...I always get the same supercharger!!
IMG_9342.jpg

Tyl:

So 260 miles Quartzsite to Hawthorne, with a lot of 52mph driving, sucks it down only at a very parsimonious 260Wh/mi. That IS impressive. What sort of elevation changes are along that route? What might an expected return profile look like?

I'm likely to make that drive in the fairly near future...

Quartzsite AZ is 879 feet and Hawthorne CA is 72 feet above sea level so only an 800 foot drop over all, ...not much! It is slow speed that will always gain an MS mileage. The MS is most efficient at about 45MPH.
My 260w mile was dramatically different (380w mile) for the rest of the trip.... ooooh yea.... so nice to get back to normal freeway speeds after Hawthorne CA!!!!! Especially in an MS!!!!

Has anyone stopped by Buckeye recently? I just moved to the area.. maybe I'll stop by this weekend and see how things are going.

Where do you live? I'm here in Buckeye. I'm not a stalker! LOL... just curious to meet other owners on the west side. We should do coffee! :)

I've checked the City of Buckeye permit portal, a number of inspections are still pending at the site. I'm checking on it every few days.

In-city update:

Having learned (apparently NOT on this forum, as a search for same revealed nothing) that there now are some Volta free charging stations installed in the garages at Scottsdale Quarter - that's across the street from the Kierland Center at the SE junction of Scottsdale Rd and Greenway/Hayden Loop...where the Apple store is (and Brio Tuscan Grille, Pottery Barn, Restoration Hardware and so on)...
we went there yesterday (had to bring the MacBooks in to Apple). There are two stations at each of the North and South garages. You must enter the garages from their EAST entrances, then they're right up the ramp just beyond the handicapped slots.

The one we parked at worked. That's always good. We had about 100 miles' range remaining - it provided power at 32A, giving us 17mph charging. So it certainly isn't fast. We were at Apple and luncheon at True Food Kitchen for about 2.5 hours, thus recharged a total of 41 miles.

The Volta concept, as I understand it, is to make their money by selling illuminated ads on their pedestal. These facilities have been installed only a week or so - mid-Feb 2014 - and as yet haven't any ads up. I hope they make it - that is a standard location for us to visit when we come into town.

In-city update:

Having learned (apparently NOT on this forum, as a search for same revealed nothing) that there now are some Volta free charging stations installed in the garages at Scottsdale Quarter - that's across the street from the Kierland Center at the SE junction of Scottsdale Rd and Greenway/Hayden Loop...where the Apple store is (and Brio Tuscan Grille, Pottery Barn, Restoration Hardware and so on)...
we went there yesterday (had to bring the MacBooks in to Apple). There are two stations at each of the North and South garages. You must enter the garages from their EAST entrances, then they're right up the ramp just beyond the handicapped slots.

The one we parked at worked. That's always good. We had about 100 miles' range remaining - it provided power at 32A, giving us 17mph charging. So it certainly isn't fast. We were at Apple and luncheon at True Food Kitchen for about 2.5 hours, thus recharged a total of 41 miles.

The Volta concept, as I understand it, is to make their money by selling illuminated ads on their pedestal. These facilities have been installed only a week or so - mid-Feb 2014 - and as yet haven't any ads up. I hope they make it - that is a standard location for us to visit when we come into town.

I posted about those and put the north one into Plugshare after I found it on Super Bowl Sunday... The south one was found a week or two later by someone else...

edit - I tried finding my post, now I can't. Weird...

Last edited:
I had always referred to this as Cordes Junction. But we're talking about the same place.

"Cordes Lakes" is a residential community of about 2000 people south of Cordes Junction on Stagecoach Trail. I may be wrong, but my impression is that the lakes (plural) didn't materialize and the single lake was always more of a small pond that was largely or entirely dry unless it was raining. In any event, it is far more likely that the Supercharger would be placed at Cordes JUNCTION because that's where the junction of highways is located.