Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Arizona Superchargers (location speculation, discussion)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@wraithnot, yes, she mentioned she met you there. That was a good and generous solution for the three of you recharging there. Once a Super Charger open in Indio, you can probably go back and pick up your adapter. :)

- - - Updated - - -

We'll be returning home from San Diego to Phoenix next week in our MS60. I'm having a devil of a time finding adequate places to recharge San Diego -> El Cajon (to top off) and a loooong stretch to Yuma, then back up to Quartzite. Does anyone have suggestions on where to recharge between El Cajon to Yuma? PlugShare and Recargo aren't showing many options.

We'll be returning home from San Diego to Phoenix next week in our MS60. I'm having a devil of a time finding adequate places to recharge San Diego -> El Cajon (to top off) and a loooong stretch to Yuma, then back up to Quartzite. Does anyone have suggestions on where to recharge between El Cajon to Yuma? PlugShare and Recargo aren't showing many options.

Have you considered going over the mountains through Anza to Chiriacco? Evtripper shows that is 168 miles from San Diego -- and should use almost exactly rated range. There's also plenty of public chargers in Temecula before you go over the hill, and near Indio when you drop back down in case of problems. It's also a very pretty drive -- although a bit slower driving since it's 2-lane highway between Temecula and Indio...

@wraithnot, yes, she mentioned she met you there. That was a good and generous solution for the three of you recharging there. Once a Super Charger open in Indio, you can probably go back and pick up your adapter. :)

- - - Updated - - -

I can offer you 240V, 20 amp charging at my home just east of El Cajon. (I just got my car and I need to get an electrician out to trouble shoot my 40 amp circuit that trips the breaker when drawing 32 amps.) PM me if you are interested.

(I just got my car and I need to get an electrician out to trouble shoot my 40 amp circuit that trips the breaker when drawing 32 amps.) PM me if you are interested.
Rick: I may be being picky, but you'll probably want your electrician to install a NEMA 14-50 on 50amp circuit. It will give you up to 29 miles of charging per hour. Nice that you offered some electrons to Monsoon's wife for the return to AZ - good people.

Rick: I may be being picky, but you'll probably want your electrician to install a NEMA 14-50 on 50amp circuit. It will give you up to 29 miles of charging per hour. Nice that you offered some electrons to Monsoon's wife for the return to AZ - good people.
When I had my Blink EVSE installed in 2011 for my LEAF, SD County inspectors decided that my panel could only handle a 40 amp 240 volt circuit. My plan for the near term was to charge my MS at 32 amps until the future when I decided what to do about solar, panel upgrade, etc. I agree with your suggestion, Mark, and it looks like the future is now.
BTW, I might be able to provide a slightly higher charging rate for Monsoon's wife, I arbitrarily tried 20 amps and have not yet investigated what the "breaker tripping" limit really is.

Jill's Flight Plan, the return trip...

MarkR, you are too kind, and a consummate gentleman.

I can offer you my HPWC in Buckeye, AZ. I'm just south of the I-10 about 25 miles west of Phoenix. HPWC charges at 80A and at 60 MPH

I can offer you 240V, 20 amp charging at my home just east of El Cajon. (I just got my car and I need to get an electrician out to trouble shoot my 40 amp circuit that trips the breaker when drawing 32 amps.) PM me if you are interested.

Thank you, AmpedRealtor and rickbecker. I'd take each of you up on that offer, except we've re-routed our trip up north a bit on the suggestion of ZBB -- that seems to have a more optimal mix of scenic terrain, lower speed (we're in a MS60 without twin chargers) and there are more options for 40amp recharging before reaching Quartzite.

For those who are following Jill's Flight Plan, she did it (Phx to Camarillo, CA in 1 day)!
We next drove from Camarillo, CA down to San Diego, with a brief (and fantastic!) top-off at the Hawthorne Super Charger. We met a few other MS owners there recharging, got to see the outside of a Space X and Tesla design facility, and... Jill handed out homemade white chocolate chip and macadamia nut cookies baked fresh that morning, to a few of the other MS folks who were recharging there. That might be a first.

We'll be in San Diego for two days, then we will work our way back north and east to Chiriaco Summit, Quartzite, and home in Phoenix. I have to give kudos to EVTripPlanner.com, it works!

- - - Updated - - -

If you have twin chargers. Roaming off the Supercharger grid, twin chargers can save a lot of frustration... :wink:

@Cottonwood, I'm actually in the initial stages of figuring out how to get a Model X with twin chargers down to Costa Rica (and how I could skirt the import tax), along with 3-4 HPWC that can be strategically placed to my own benefit -- just thinking ahead a bit here.

@Cottonwood, I'm actually in the initial stages of figuring out how to get a Model X with twin chargers down to Costa Rica (and how I could skirt the import tax), along with 3-4 HPWC that can be strategically placed to my own benefit -- just thinking ahead a bit here.

Good Luck! Installs in RV Parks are often easier and cheaper. Installs at hotels and restaurants usually cost more, and it's harder to find parking, but it gives you more to do as you wait for the car to charge. If you have a lot of spots with 208 Volts, a $500 or so "boost" transformer can boost the Voltage back to 240 Volts and regain almost 15% in charge rate.

Have Fun!!

Thanks for the EVTripPlanner kudos - I put this together with my son (who was 15 when he started) and we've been refining it a bit. Usage has gone up a LOT in the last few months and we're seeing thousands of visits/uses per month (my son keeps all donations to use toward his college education). We've found it to have under 5% error (when you look at actual kWh used on a trip - you can't compare Wh/mi estimate to what is measured in-car, as the in-car trip meter isn't counting *all* energy used). We are in the process of updating it to compensate for altitude and outside temperature (which both impact air density), which should improve things by 2-3% in cold/high conditions.

Jill's Flight Plan, the return trip...

Thanks, ZBB. Looking into it now...

Yes, this is a much better route than through Yuma. Thank you, ZBB!!

@ZBB, we're taking your suggested route tomorrow, and have print-outs from EVTripPlanner.com (thank you Cliff Hannel), with the back-up safety stops to top off if required. I'm sure we can make it to Chiriaco Summit -- the recharge time there will be long, so I brought a Frisbee (for me and the seven-year-old) and a new Clive Cussler book I received for Christmas. We can't wait to reach Quartzite. For those of you who haven't experienced them, Super Charging changes everything! (Long on TSLA)

Last edited:
@ZBB, we're taking your suggested route tomorrow, and have print-outs from EVTripPlanner.com (thank you Cliff Hannel), with the back-up safety stops to top off if required. I'm sure we can make it to Chiriaco Summit -- the recharge time there will be long, so I brought a Frisbee (for me and the seven-year-old) and a new Clive Cussler book I received for Christmas. We can't wait to reach Quartzite. For those of you who haven't experienced them, Super Charging changes everything! (Long on TSLA)

Hope you have a good trip. I have a daughter slightly younger -- she turns 7 in Jan. The frisbee is a good idea. There's also the Patton museum there -- never been (but guessing it will be a visit during a charge at some point!)

@ZBB, done! We're home in Phoenix and that was a fantastic route -- perfect for our needs. And I LOVE the last stretch back down into Palm Desert from Anza -- what a great run of non-stop twisties and smoooooth pavement!

Kudos again to EVTripPlanner.com!
I intended to arrive at Quartzite with 10 miles rated range remaining. I arrived with eight. :)
From there, I intended to arrive home with 15 miles rated range remaining. I arrived with 12. :)
Of course, I ultimately controlled my speed, but heck, arriving on plan really does eliminate range anxiety.

Last edited: