Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Article: How many Teslas does it take to black out an apartment block?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Good to here ray. Not sure exactly how the load sharing works for the newer wall connector but maybe this will help. One issue maybe the 15m max distance between chargers.

Installation Manuals - Wall Connector

Edit: typical found this with one more search after posting this, seems the load is shared so that the vehicles finish charging at the same time so probably ok for apartment blocks.

New Power Wall Connectors - "sharing" observation

Last edited:

In the US, air conditioning load defines the service capacity to most buildings, and the energy needed for most round trip commutes can be delivered over the evening without exceeding this threshold. Apartment dwellers usually have shorter commutes, so the concept does not totally fall apart for apartments.

The way to solve this is to put a current probe on the main feed. For the building, and limit the vehicle charge rate when other loads are present.

• Helpful
Reactions: markwj
We really need a standard communications protocol for load limiting EVSEs. One that is implemented in every EVSE.

We've already got that protocol between the EVSE and the car. The EVSe can effectively dynamically limit how much current the charger in the car can draw from the wall. We just need something similar for all the EVSEs to communicate to that current probe on the main feed. Something that runs over the power line itself would be simple to deploy.

In CA, the power company is responsible for power to the meter, and the homeowner the rest of the way. When I bought my first Model S, the power company came out, without my request, and put in a larger transformer and new service. My electrician put in a bigger circuit panel. (It's an old house, and it needed it.) But I can't imagine blacking out a building. I only pull about 30 amps at night, after midnight.

It only takes one ICE car to black out multiple suburbs for the whole morning.
image.jpeg

As well as ChargePoint there is now an Australian based competitor in this space called Jet Charge.
Both companies will allow an individual to charge their EV in their parking space using the common area power source, the companies then arrange billing of the EV owner to return the cost of the energy used back to the building Owners Corporation.

• Informative
Reactions: baillies
As well as ChargePoint there is now an Australian based competitor in this space called Jet Charge.
Both companies will allow an individual to charge their EV in their parking space using the common area power source, the companies then arrange billing of the EV owner to return the cost of the energy used back to the building Owners Corporation.
I did mine; Tesla unit + cheap meter plugged into the Body Corp power. There is a Brisbane mob called METER2CASH Solutions Pty Ltd who read the meter and recover the cash from me for the Body Corp. Similar people probably exist elsewhere. I'm paying 0.16248 per KwH and no other charge.