Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Assuming a 5" ground clearance for the P3+, how practical is that for the UK?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've heard everything from 4.7" to 6" ground clearance.

I was just wondering, assuming worst case scenario and around a 4.7" ground clearance for the P3+, how often (if at all) will I have to worry about scraping the underside of the car on speed bumps or curbs etc.?

The ground clearance according to an earlier post is 1mm higher than my Lotus. I've never scraped the Lotus on anything. My only concern is sudden steep inclines as that can scrape the front bumper but I've never had it happen. I think you need to have your car lowered aftermarket before you really need to worry.

The ground clearance according to an earlier post is 1mm higher than my Lotus. I've never scraped the Lotus on anything. My only concern is sudden steep inclines as that can scrape the front bumper but I've never had it happen. I think you need to have your car lowered aftermarket before you really need to worry.

Thanks appreciated. What's the ground clearance on your Lotus?

I have quite a hump to get into my drive and am also worried about this. To the extent I built a simulator to test with. It's just 2x 5" bits of wood attached a long bit that holds them vertical at the wheel base distance.

In comparison, the wheel base is perhapse 3" longer than my Leon (basically a golf), but at 5" clearance it's about an inch lower than the old car. Looks at the contraption I've created, even if the 5" is accurate, speed bumps and so on should be completely fine. Many people modify their cars to waaaay lower than this with little practicality impact. But I won't be able to get into my drive.

Someone quoted actual front and rear heights the other day, in mm, which looked more like 6", in which case you are back at a very standard family car height, and looking at videos the underside is very very flat. And I can get into my drive.

But as always with Tesla there is an element of wait and see for the true answer.

Occasionally I'll hit front underside of my current (non tesla) compact car coming off certain shaped speed humps - i'll see if I can check clearance but I think its a fact of life these days that some humps are pretty unforgiving and will bite you at some point no matter what car you have, no matter how careful you are.

Yet more speed humps being installed around here - planning permission stated 75mm high but I am sure no one checks - a couple around here have big surface scrapes where vehicles have hit - and two have a big gouge where by looks of it tow equipment have sliced through the surface. These two humps are significantly more vicious than the others in the section of road, to the point, if safe, I drive around it otherwise I tiptoe over it, which often surprises the following vehicle.

Last edited:
Thanks appreciated. What's the ground clearance on your Lotus?

I've never measured it, but according to websites it is between 140 and 150mm, so 5.5 - 5.9".

I've also never had a problem coming off speed bumps as another poster has suggested, but the Lotus has extremely firm suspension and is obviously very light so kind of jumps over them.

I really can't see the Tesla being lower than a Lotus

Reactions: Rooster6655
4.7" won't be a problem. I used to run that on my Lotus Elise and never grounded. But just be sensible and don't go over the highest bumps too fast. I don't believe it's going to be that low anyway, as said above. Hopefully we'll have some real figures soon.

Reactions: dspwhite
Yes please - would be interested to know. I wonder if the Tesla battery underneath can a (little) abuse in regards to this. It's built pretty sturdy so it wouldn't surprise me.

Don't bank on it. I cant find the thread, but some chap trashed his whole battery because he hit some road debris, that a few days later threw a fault. Tesla investigated and found a small puncture mark and scraping, not where the pack was, but around some ancillary piping. Result, $15k new battery.

However if it was a major problem, I think reports like this would be wide spread, but they are not.

Reactions: dspwhite
All this talk about Lotus cars not grounding is all well and good but wheelbase plays a part as well. Elises etc have short wheelbases and very little overhang front/back. Tesla is very different and this wil be a factor, especially on steep driveways.

Read somewhere that EVs have to have a slightly higher clearance to avoid issues with scraping batteries. New Electric mini will be 15mm higher than existing ICE version.

Wouldn’t like to do this regularly but maybe get out and use summon for a fraction more clearance ;)

I've got a P3 and live in inner London, completely surrounded by speed bumps. Have not scraped anything, even on the biggest - there's a nasty one at the end of the road that a lot of cars scrape on.

That's brilliant thanks. Is it the P3+ (with PUP) I take it?

Could you do me a massive favour and measure the ground clearance underneath the vehicle (at a few points just to be sure). It might affect my decision to upgrade from the P- to the P+ !