Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Aston Martin Styling

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
rga_astonmartin_cars_beauty_rapide_03.jpg

notice anything that looks the same???:smile:

@Todd Burch, @vfx ...
My understanding was that Henrik Fisker was tasked with the Model S initial design but Tesla went...um...another direction, and that direction was Franz's. I'm sure the forum historians will correct the record in short order. ;)

@Todd Burch, @vfx ...
My understanding was that Henrik Fisker was tasked with the Model S initial design but Tesla went...um...another direction, and that direction was Franz's. I'm sure the forum historians will correct the record in short order. ;)

I had heard that the rough shape came from Henrik...but I'm just passing on what I've heard in the past so I could very well be wrong.

Last edited:
The initial designer of the Model S was Henrik Fisker, designer of the Aston Martin DB9 and Vantage. That's where the lines come from.
A lot of the Aston Martin look came from Ian Callum, before Fisker. Then Callum went to Jaguar and that had a lot of influence on the XKR which looks very similar to the Vantage. He also designed the XF which, of course, has styling elements "borrowed" from the Model S.

"In 1999, Callum was appointed to succeed the late Geoff Lawson as Design Director at Jaguar, which had become a Ford Motor Company subsidiary in 1990. For a short stint, Callum directed design at both Jaguar and Aston Martin and it is claimed that he laid the foundations for the DB9 which was later finished by Henrik Fisker ..."

There are old threads on this forum where the Model S concept was compared a long while back to Jag XF & Rapide. Some comparisons to Porsche Panamera, and Maserati Quattroporte as well.

WhiteStar styling ideas - Page 8

WhiteStar styling ideas - Page 34

It's the new Masserati Quattroporte like the Model S?

- - - Updated - - -

The XF is the derivative. The MS was designed and shown first.

Well, I think the precusor to the XF, the C-XF was shown in 2007...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jaguar_C-XF

Also, we had Peter Rawlinson go from Jaguar to Tesla...
List of Public Companies Worldwide, Letter - Businessweek - Businessweek
...Peter Rawlinson serves as the Chief Vehicle Engineer and Vice President of Tesla Motors, Inc. Mr. Rawlinson is responsible for the technical execution and delivery of the Model S, and for leading a world-class vehicle engineering team. He led vehicle engineering at Corus Automotive, an advanced engineering consulting firm. Mr. Rawlinson guided projects, including for the Jaguar X and F types; Land Rover Freelander and Discovery; Ford Fiesta; Honda Accord; BMW 5-Series; and Bentley Continental. Mr. Rawlinson's works on the Think electric vehicle set a new world record for best crash safety performance in the subcompact vehicle class. Mr. Rawlinson also spent nearly a decade at Jaguar, ascending to the position of Principal Engineer, working on advanced body structure design, layout and packaging, including crashworthiness...
(Note, he left Tesla a while back...)

Last edited:
Below are a couple of comparison images of the Model S VS Aston Martin Rapide 4dr, and the Jag XF. All are sleek good looking exec 4 door saloons.

All have seriously good looks and common DNA due to messrs Fisker and Callum.

Of course, whats under the skin couldn’t be more different and massively outweighs any looks comparison.

But its infuriating having to wait for a RHD MSP85 here in the UK !!

Rapide4DrvsModelS4.jpg

mdlsvsxf.jpg

No, his designs were dumped; he turned in progressively worse designs till he was dumped (then used his real designs for the Karma). These lines are Franz's.

EVsfront.jpg

EVsrear.jpg

I own both the Karma and the Model S. I like both of them a lot. But I have to tell you, I get at least 3 times as many compliments on the looks of the Karma as I do on the Model S.

As for the Rapide, IMO the lines of the Karma look more like an Aston (e.g. Vanquish) than the Rapide does:

rapideRear.jpg

Last edited:
I'm not surprised, the Karma has a more unique design (Although a little too cartoon-like for my tastes). Ironically, the Model S drives like the Karma looks, and the Karma drives like the Model S looks!

I own both the Karma and the Model S. I like both of them a lot. But I have to tell you, I get at least 3 times as many compliments on the looks of the Karma as I do on the Model S.

Ironically, the Model S drives like the Karma looks, and the Karma drives like the Model S looks!

While that is definitely true from an acceleration standpoint, the Karma out-handles the Model S. Less initial understeer in the Karma, and better stability. This was borne out by the skidpad numbers: .91G for the Karma (Road & Track) and .86G for the Model S (Edmunds). Both have tons of understeer at the limit as would be expected for 5300/4600 lb. sedans on street tires.