Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

At low speeds Model 3 is too quiet [Update: now solved with new pedestrian warning sounds]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been driving my Tesla for 15k miles now and have noticed a serious safety issue. When I pull out of my driveway the car is so silent pedestrians and bicyclists do not hear the vehicle. It is the same in parking structures. This could easily be solved with a chime button that would broadcast a tone outside of the vehicle (I vote for R2D2's chime). I would use this daily to warn in blind approaches or parking structures. I would like to adjust the exterior volume myself based on condition.
This is the most dangerous thing I have noticed with this completely awesome car.

Reactions: brandonee916
I've been driving an EV for over 7 years, with no pedestrian sounds, and I have yet to run into an incident of this once. I read about it occasionally, but it's never happened to me. Tire noise is pretty sufficient, honestly. Are people around you particularly oblivious? I think the only time I've wished for an on-demand noisemaker is when approaching someone walking down the middle of an aisle in a parking lot, from behind... where they basically shouldn't even be walking in the first place. And so I wait, and it's not even remotely dangerous.

As a side note, as both a pedestrian and a bike commuter, I can hear EV's just fine. I can distinctly tell when an EV (or often, a hybrid) is about to pass me on my bike.

Anyway, I'm not denying that it could be helpful. But I can't see it being "dangerous" currently, unless the driver is also not paying attention.

Every time I pull out of my driveway I'm blind to possible approaching kids etc. Our neighborhood has skateboarders, bikers... all of it. They are doing nothing wrong, I need a manual chime. Parking structures are particularly dangerous.
3 years ago a 20 year old was struck and killed by a Prius 3 blocks from my home. He was walking, didn't hear the car, and walked right into the street to cross.

Every time I pull out of my driveway I'm blind to possible approaching kids etc. Our neighborhood has skateboarders, bikers... all of it. They are doing nothing wrong, I need a manual chime. Parking structures are particularly dangerous.
3 years ago a 20 year old was struck and killed by a Prius 3 blocks from my home. He was walking, didn't hear the car, and walked right into the street to cross.
See my post above.

I need a manual chime.

You're in luck! There's already one built in. It's pretty well hidden, though. Just push on the center of your steering wheel.
:p

Joking aside, my Volt had a softer, more friendly chirp-chirp horn for pedestrians that could be triggered with a stalk button. IMO that was a great feature. I used to use it to get someone's attention inside the house without being obnoxious and loud with the regular horn.

You're in luck! There's already one built in. It's pretty well hidden, though. Just push on the center of your steering wheel.
:p

Joking aside, my Volt had a softer, more friendly chirp-chirp horn for pedestrians that could be triggered with a stalk button. IMO that was a great feature. I used to use it to get someone's attention inside the house without being obnoxious and loud with the regular horn.
Nice post here. I did not know that about the Volt. I always liked the Volt

Bring back the man with the flag!
uf1.jpg

This is going to be required going forward. It will be a light beeping at speeds under 20 (around there). That said, many modern cars are nearly silent at idle speed anyway, especially hybrids. People should not be relying on sound to know when a car is coming so the rule should apply to all vehicles IMO.

I do agree it would be nice to have a manual option. Maybe we can get a button on screen that causes the horn to very subtlety honk.

Reactions: Scott7
Anyone else notice the Model 3 car horn takes like 5lbs of pressure to push? You have to punch it.
I miss my 1973 Datsun pickup horn button. That thingy was light, you could talk with that button!
Tesla designed it in a way that if you ever fell asleep on your steering wheel with Auto Pilot, you would never unintentionally fire the honk. It's actually an ingenious design!

Reactions: Runnergirl
Every time I pull out of my driveway I'm blind to possible approaching kids etc.

In this situation I would simply pull out very slowly the same as you'd do when pulling out from a space in a crowded parking lot. Literally 2 mph. It's not possible to unintentionally run anyone over at that slow of a speed. Possible to bump someone, sure, but not literally run them over. The ultrasonics would be going nuts.

I don't see how it makes any difference in this scenario whether you're driving and EV or ICE. There are often other ambient sounds that cover up a (usually) very quiet idling engine. For example, skateboards make a lot of noise from their wheels rolling on pavement.

Also unless the person is blind (in which case they wouldn't be riding a bike or moving very quickly), they should be relying primarlily on sight, not sound.

Another option is a mirror on a post if your driveway is that severely blind to oncoming traffic, like is the case for some very tight urban areas.

Yeah its something you have to adjust too. I have curbed two rims as people walk right in front of me and forced me to swerve, the next person just gets broken legs. I do find its a certain demographic, young people have something playing music in their ears and tend to pay attention where they walk. As much as they live on their phones they tend to be pretty self aware I guess if you grow up with a phone you adjust. Its the slightly older crowd that are way more dependent on sound. I have never had a kid walk in front of my car but lots of parents. If a kid does they just blow by quick and scare you but they are not going to get hit.

Status
Not open for further replies.