Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Audi Q6 e-tron EV

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
More detailed info in Norwegian on this page. Summary, probaby euro spec:

Usable battery capacity 95kWh, gross estimated from journalist to 103 kWh
Heated and cooled pack, with heat pump capability
Promise of effective cooling for repeated full accelerations without throttling due to overheating.
Max DC charge speed 150 kW
Full DC charge speed to 80% SOC
Estimated WLTP range is at least 400 km, probably higher.
Optional dual side charge ports.
Launch model charges up to 11 kW from a 3 phase 16A 400V, but only 2,3 kW from any other 1 phase 230 V
Optional 1 phase 32A and 3 phase 32A 400v to be released in 2019, but not retrofittable.

Siste nytt om Audi e-tron

More detailed info in Norwegian on this page. Summary, probaby euro spec:

Usable battery capacity 95kWh, gross estimated from journalist to 103 kWh
Heated and cooled pack, with heat pump capability
Promise of effective cooling for repeated full accelerations without throttling due to overheating.
Max DC charge speed 150 kW
Full DC charge speed to 80% SOC
Estimated WLTP range is at least 400 km, probably higher.
Optional dual side charge ports.
Launch model charges up to 11 kW from a 3 phase 16A 400V, but only 2,3 kW from any other 1 phase 230 V
Optional 1 phase 32A and 3 phase 32A 400v to be released in 2019, but not retrofittable.

Siste nytt om Audi e-tron

US charger will definitely be different, but I wonder why it can only do 2.3 kW on one phase (not that anyone would really use it). Maybe they saved some bucks on the power factor corrector?

You can almost get that with a 20A 120V Level 1 EVSE.

Well, in Europe you can't get more than 16A from one phase. Well, you can but not legally. If you want to go higher, you need all three phases.

But with three phases you can go with a smaller capacitor, since the ripple after the rectifier is much smaller with 3 phases. So I guess they just saved some bucks on that capacitor and if you use it at one phase it doesn't go as high.

Reactions: Johann Koeber
It is a bit unclear what kind of onboard charger the car will get. I would guess one or three phase 16A, limited to 10A from a household outlet but able to get 1x16A (3,7 kW) or 3x16A (11 kW) from a wall box. But not my expertise, and since media reports are confusing, I guess Audi would like it that way.

Well, in Europe you can't get more than 16A from one phase. Well, you can but not legally. If you want to go higher, you need all three phases.

But with three phases you can go with a smaller capacitor, since the ripple after the rectifier is much smaller with 3 phases. So I guess they just saved some bucks on that capacitor and if you use it at one phase it doesn't go as high.
In North America, three phase is only in heavy commercial or industrial applications so there are much higher current single phase supplies.

• Helpful
Reactions: Snerruc
In North America, three phase is only in heavy commercial or industrial applications so there are much higher current single phase supplies.

That's (one reason) why EVs have different on board chargers in Europe and the US. That's why an US Model S can charge at 17.5 kW, but an European one only with 16.5 kW.

A big difference is also that in the EU, we have a three phase grid. For that to work all three phases need to be symmetrically. So high power consumption needs to be three phase.

According to this article (in German) it will be 11kW (3x16) with one charger and 22kW with an optional additional charger. Of course the usual 10-16A (240V) single phase household plug will also be usable. In one of the first comments to the article (on the same page), quite detailed comparisons are made. It appears that efficiency from battery to wheel could be a bit below a Model S and even more so below a Model 3, How the LG pouch-cells will survive in everyday use remains to be seen.

The standard mobile charging system can be used in two ways: with a charging power of up to 2.3 kW when connected to a 230 volt household outlet and with up to 11 kW when connected to a 400 volt three-phase outlet. In the latter case, the battery can be fully recharged in roughly 8.5 hours. With the optional connect charging system, charging power doubles to 22 kW provided that the electric SUV is equipped with the required second charger.
Ultra-high voltage: The Audi e-tron prototype in a Faraday cage (audi-mediacenter.com)

Just saw an Audi E-Tron in the streets of soutern Germany.
Looked pretty good and close to production.

DNG_4398.JPG

Reactions: R.S and hiroshiy
People criticizing Tesla complained about price, weight and time to production readyness.

From what I see here, Audi, of one of the oldest car manufacturer in the world, can neither do it cheaper, nor lighter, nor more on time.

Model X: Prototype shown 2012, production deliveries 2015 (3 years later)
Audi Q6: Prototype shown 2015, production deliveries 2019 (4 years later)

@Spidy: Audi promised 2018 availability, now it is postponed to 2019 with very limited quantity, if the 5000-number of gjunky is correct, Audi will be making less of these in a year than Tesla produces Model X in two months.

Anyway, what matters more than promises are the results. And these speak for Tesla.

Last edited:
@Spidy: Audi promised 2018 availability, now it is postponed to 2019 with very limited quantity, if the 5000-number of gjunky is correct, Audi will be making less of these in a year than Tesla produces Model X in two months.

Anyway, what matters more than promises are the results. And these speak for Tesla.

Where you get the 5000 from?

Porsche is planning more than 20000 Mission-E per year. I guess Audi is planning a lot more E-Tron.
Porsche mulls production increase for Mission E