Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
tumblr_m8m1tmI7Hy1r3ty02o1_400.gif

More news on the R8 E-Tron

- 92 kWh battery
- 450 km / 280 mi range
- CCS fast charging to "fully charge the battery in significantly less than two hours. "

The price of the current R8 is already significantly higher than a loaded P85D

I am not (yet) impressed.

http://www.autogespot.com/audi-presents-the-new-r8

I am Impressed that someone else finally decided to put more than 7kW of batteries in their car and actually make a real attempt at a longer range EV.

That article does not state when the R8 E-Tron will be offered for sale, or what the price will be. Given the price of the V10 version it will likely be over US$200K.

At likely twice the price of a P85D it is not a Tesla competitor and very few will be made. AUDI has a long way to go to catch up to Tesla.

That article does not state when the R8 E-Tron will be offered for sale, or what the price will be. Given the price of the V10 version it will likely be over US$200K.

At likely twice the price of a P85D it is not a Tesla competitor and very few will be made. AUDI has a long way to go to catch up to Tesla.

Audi is sort of in a difficult position. A Model S costs as much, if not more, than a comparable Audi because of the batteries. Meanwhile Audi puts (some of) that money into interior quality. Some may disagree, but I feel Tesla has a ways to go to equal the quality of an Audi interior.

Back to Audi, they MIGHT be able to get cheaper if they decontent the interior (and some bells and whistles) and put that money towards the battery, but then it wouldn't be an Audi (in many circles).

That said, I fully agree. Went to an Audi event recently and saw the near $200K R8 and shook my head. Not much faster than a P85D, yet costs way more and is far less useful in daily use. My r8 hasn't left the garage since last summer.

The R8 is a cool looking car though. If they make this then it will sell but in number probably below that of the Tesla Roadster. Guess they have to start somewhere but agree Audi is in a weird position and doesn't know how to market this.

Meanwhile Audi puts (some of) that money into interior quality. Some may disagree, but I feel Tesla has a ways to go to equal the quality of an Audi interior.

Back to Audi, they MIGHT be able to get cheaper if they decontent the interior (and some bells and whistles) and put that money towards the battery, but then it wouldn't be an Audi (in many circles).

That is true for mass produced Audi models vs equivalent priced models from other OEMs.

And inferior drivetrains. FWD or FWD biased Quattro.

Even with no Tesla Motors rather have a BMW.

Even if interior is not as pretty as Audi.

I wonder why the R8 e-tron isn't able to use Tesla's superchargers. As I understand it, the battery is large enough.

I'm sure technically it could. So could a LEAF or an e-Golf (albeit at slower max rate and with tapering after a short while). It's not about if the car can/could use it technically but think of Tesla's SC network as one of the main components of their successful business. Everybody keeps talking about sharing it. Why should they? The Tesla owners have paid for the network and the exclusiveness is one of the attractions of the brand. If they would share it with anyone I'd think there would be a public announcement first of some kind of joint venture.

Going to be really embarrassing when a Model X performance smokes it, goes farther and carries more on a smaller battery pack. And costs less too.

"Meanwhile, those who want more green power can opt for the e-tron version, whose 92-kWh battery pack gives the all-electric model a range 280 miles per charge, double that of the previous e-tron’s 140 miles. Speed will be limited to between 130.5 mph and 153.3 mph, and pricing is not yet known"

Geneva 2015: 2017 Audi R8 Debuts - The Truth About Cars