Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As I wrote in the link provided I wouldn't read too much into this news:

This car will only be built upon customers specifically ordering it (I think it was confirmed back in spring 2014 at an Audi event or annual conference already, this is just another “confirmation”).

So I wouldn’t get my hopes too high other than the car being built:

- customer orders only (very small series)

- cost probably around $200k or higher (even the normal ICE R8 is very expensive)

I think this is merely a test car series and EV platform evaluation for Audi.

PS: The volume production will be the A3 etron and similar future PHEVs from Audi (with shared technology and parts across all VW brands). This PHEV is soon available globally: A3 Sportback e-tron® | Audi USA

Concerning a charging network... Suppose they put in one or two DC chargers in every Audi and VW dealership? No extra rent or planning/zoning needed. And they're usually in commercial areas. Probably wouldn't cost much to put in a DC charging station at each dealer. Instant charging network.

They have to actually do it. Not instant.

Like Nissan Chademo, they would be conveniently placed for shopping not intra-city travel and cross country travel.

Like Nissan Chademo, they would be conveniently placed for shopping not intra-city travel and cross country travel.

I agree. Nissan is doing the dealer network in the USA and even though by location count they have way more locations than Tesla, it is far from a viable road-trip network.

The biggest problem is there is typically 1 charger and the dealers do not have much incentive to keep it running/available even if the charger was given to them for free.

I've always wondered if Tesla owners would still have allegiance with Tesla when MB/Audi/BMW release true competitors...

I think it would take a better product rather than just equal competition to sway Tesla owners. Then it would be like Blackberry -- there will always be a few stragglers who hang on until the bitter end but ultimately whoever makes the best product will rule the roost.

The dealer DCQC is not as effective as Tesla's SC network because the people traveling in odd hours or holidays will not have access to them.

Most of the CCS chargers are open 24/7 in Europe, there are already over 500 of them:

CCS/Combo Charge Map - Europe

I don't think Audi or VW need to open many dealer stations in Europe at this point. Western Europe basically had zero CCS stations just two years ago, soon it will have 1000-1500 stations...this is no longer a problem. North America will follow until 2020 or so.

PS: I'm not sure if the R8 will feature CCS (I assume it will because of its large battery), but in any case all VW brands will use CCS over time or already do so (VW e-Golf, e-up etc.).

Last edited:
Audi’s head of technical development, Dr Ulrich Hackenberg, has confirmed that the new R8 supercar, due next year, will be offered as an all-electric e-tron model with a range of 250 miles.

Source: Audi R8 e-tron confirmed with 250-mile range | Auto Express
Correct me if I'm wrong, but as I read that quote it doesn't say when the BEV version of the R8 is coming... Only that there will be a new R8 next year. I find it unlikely that the first version of the new R8 won't have an ICE component.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but as I read that quote it doesn't say when the BEV version of the R8 is coming... Only that there will be a new R8 next year. I find it unlikely that the first version of the new R8 won't have an ICE component.

Audi already confirmed that the car was back on track in March 2014, as I wrote earlier. It could launch in 2015 or 2016, the exact date isn't known yet:

During Audi's annual results press conference today Hackenberg said he and his team have developed a full-electric version of the R8 that has a range of 450km. By comparison, BMW says its i3 electric car has a maximum range of 190km.

Hackenberg said Audi’s board has approved the R-8 E-tron and that the automaker plans to offer the high-tech, long-range variant to customers "upon request."

He and Audi CEO Rupert Stadler declined to say when the model would go on sale or where it will be build. Hackenberg said the model will be the most expensive, most advanced R8 available.

Hackenberg's next Audi R8 could rock the EV world

Again, small customer series built on demand only and highest price for any R8 variant. A BMW i8 will probably be considered cheap in comparison ;)

I don't think 2015 is out of question since I doubt they will sell many at these price points.

I think this is looking like a technology demonstration and test series for Audi for its future EV and PHEV models (and of course VW sister brands like Porsche etc.)

Last edited:
The dealer DCQC is not as effective as Tesla's SC network because the people traveling in odd hours or holidays will not have access to them.

I think it's a braindead idea for all the Nissan and other US based dealers to only have their charging stations open during business hours. They should be open 24/7. It wouldn't take much for Audi/VW to stipulate that their DC chargers be available 24/7.

Also, the Audi dealer network (See below) seems pretty well dispersed (except for that barren land around the Rockies). If in fact that Audi is making a car to compete with the Model S in terms of range and cost, using the existing dealer network as a de-facto DC charging network seems like a no-brainer. And this doesn't include VW dealers (although many are both). The dealers might not be "right off the highway" as Tesla has designed the SC network, but with so many dealers, it's easier to choose which ones are most efficient for a long distance trip.
audi.jpg

I'm just saying, if Audi is serious about competing with Tesla in this space, this seems like the way to go to compete with the SC network. And it would take, what, a couple of days and a few thousand dollars to have an electrician install a DC charging station at an existing dealer location? It's not the time and expense of building out the SC network from scratch.

Most of the CCS chargers are open 24/7 in Europe, there are already over 500 of them:

CCS/Combo Charge Map - Europe

I don't think Audi or VW need to open many dealer stations in Europe at this point. Western Europe basically had zero CCS stations just two years ago, soon it will have 1000-1500 stations...this is no longer a problem. North America will follow until 2020 or so.

PS: I'm not sure if the R8 will feature CCS (I assume it will because of its large battery), but in any case all VW brands will use CCS over time or already do so (VW e-Golf, e-up etc.).
The Europe situation doesn't really apply here in the US. The EU has a law that all public DC stations must provide CCS at minimum. And their governments are investing lots of money into DC charging. That's why the market share of CCS has exploded.

In the US, there is no such law and much less investment into public DC infrastructure.

The dealer based network looks nice on a map, but reality is less encouraging. Many dealers in Europe are located in not so friendly neighbourhoods, firmly locked up outside business hours and about the last place where you would like to stop at any hour. Often they lack spare parking space and the charging spots are blocked by other vehicles. As of today stories about erring EV drivers looking in vain for an accessible and functioning powerful charger abound.

The dealer based network looks nice on a map... Many dealers in Europe are located in not so friendly neighbourhoods, firmly locked up outside business hours .

These are all charging stations, not just dealer-based ones. The map clearly distinguishes between 24/7 and other opening hours, at the moment:

CCS Charge Map - Europe
471 (open 24/7)
96 (not open 24/7)
Total: 567 - CCS/Combo Charge Map - Europe

If you find errors, please report them. The growth in CCS stations (many of them combined with Chademo and AC plugs in newer installations) is encouraging in Europe in my opinion.

I don't know if the R8 will feature a CCS plug (not that it will matter much because it will be a low-volume car) but I'm pretty sure all future Audi EVs (SUVs etc.) will include the plug. VW is a supporter of CCS as mostif not all Western car brands.