Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Audio: no possibility of usb drive (platter)?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks. I'm not that into ripping CDs, but I think I get it. Seems tedious. My kids have all moved on :), but I wonder if there are people that will do it for you?

Dude, rip a couple of CDs to FLAC and try to see the difference vs. MP3. Also buy an outboard DAC for your home stereo. Play the FLAC through that and compare to MP3 (or even to CD without the DAC). You will find yourself - as I have - re-ripping my whole CD collection to FLAC.... enthusiastically. Time consuming, but worth it!

Thanks. I'm not that into ripping CDs, but I think I get it. Seems tedious. My kids have all moved on :), but I wonder if there are people that will do it for you?

There are plenty of services out there. About a buck a CD. Google CD ripping service.

I did get my kids to do mine one summer. I'm sure there are neighbor or friends kids who would do them for half of what a commercial service costs.

I don't know about you but I have a few computers lying around. I ended up putting two more CD drives into a computer one weekend (for a total of 4) I couldn't open and close the drives bays fast enough. All I was doing is checking that the CD data looked right then hit the rip button. Then another drive was ready. I did about 200 discs in about 6 hours. All the time listening to my music. I ripped everything to WMA lossless. I was averaging about 4-5 minutes a disc. And with 4 drives that meant a new disc ever 60 seconds.

I also got to organize all my music, and put it on my server to share.

Iam pleased to report that my Model S equipped with Sound Studio Package playsaudio music tracks stored and played back using a large external Solid StateHard Drive (SSD) with just one USB connection for both audio and power. This isone of the rare cars that plays back fine using an external USB hard driverather than just a USB memory stick.
I am using a 448 gigabyte solid state drive that has loaded onto it 335gigabytes of music. All of the cataloguing and album art works fine.
My entire music library is in *.FLAC format, a lossless format. The Tesla ModelS is one of the rare cars that plays back native *.FLAC files withoutreformatting to a different format. Many of my music tracks are in highresolution (studio master) 24-Bit and sampling rates as high as 192kHz. Thesevery high resolution music tracks play back fine with no need to reformat beforeplaying.
I recommend using an SSD drive because the car is in motion and the constantjostling would jeopardize a platter-based hard drive.
As far as I found in the marketplace, the 448 gig model I am using is thelargest size drive made in SSD. The Tesla Model S only recognizes drives using FAT 32 format so the user will need to reformat the blank drive to FAT 32 prior to loading content. Fat 32 format is called "MS-DOS" if using a Mac.