Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Audio: Testing audio formats

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I tested WMA files while at the Dania Beach store. They worked flawlessly. And updated the spreadsheet.

I have the standard sound system and I'm noticing a minor glitch playing WMA files at multiples of 12 seconds (like 48 or 72 seconds) where the song stops playing for 1/20th or 1/10th of a second, then just keeps going like nothing happened. Is no one else noticing that? I am happy to say that after a week with the car (which came with 4.2 firmware) that's literally the biggest issue I've run into.

I have the standard sound system and I'm noticing a minor glitch playing WMA files at multiples of 12 seconds (like 48 or 72 seconds) where the song stops playing for 1/20th or 1/10th of a second, then just keeps going like nothing happened. Is no one else noticing that? I am happy to say that after a week with the car (which came with 4.2 firmware) that's literally the biggest issue I've run into.

Are you using WMA lossless? Or lossy WMA? If so what bitrate? I only tested a single WMA lossy file. I didn't notice, but was too busy grinning like mad. I havn't noticed the few times I used WMA Lossless files in my car. I don't have a big memory stick, so I have been using MP3s.

I tried playing some flac files and multi-channel flac files when I did my test drive on a car running 4.0. The standard flac files played fine (sounded better with Dolby off) but the multi-channel ones did not. My Denon receiver also doesn't handle the multi-channel FLAC files.

USB External Hard Drive Works

Storage. Okay, you are asking storage. Well, the port is a USB, so your final connector will have to be USB.

Now ...

You can get pretty much any solution (SD, SDHC, SDmini SDmicro, even MSproDuo) as long as your reader is USB

Now(2) ...

The class of the storage device will render your access time results to vary (e.g. a class10 SD16 in a quality USBreader is going to zip right through the songs, while a SDHCmicro32 class2 in a chinatek reader is going to be quite a bit (relatively) slower.

Petefish has already determined that a powered platter (e.g. a USB external hard drive) no workee.

Hence, as far as storage, it really is up to you. Look, style, color (colour), size ... your call.

Cheers
WJ

I'm on 4.2. I can use my Toshiba 300GB USB External Hard Drive to store FLAC music files (44.1 Hz Stereo) and they play fine through the car system. The file system is FAT - maybe that is the secret as I see other people have had problems with NTFS. All I need is a Shuffle feature and I am in car music heaven. I wonder why it sounds rather muddy if I turn Doby surround on. Sounds perfect with Dolby off.

FWIW, I've been re-ripping my entire CD collection to FLAC. To my ear, there is a dramatic step-up in sound quality with the Sound Studio using FLAC rather than MP3 256kps. Ripping ~1,000 discs is time-consuming....

Hi fellow Robert,

I'm glad the S supports FLAC. Would you mind sharing what size your average 4min song becomes once ripped? I'm thinking of also using FLAC, but I only have a 64GB USB key so I'd like to get an idea of how many songs I'll be fitting on there.

Thanks!

Rob

Hi fellow Robert,

I'm glad the S supports FLAC. Would you mind sharing what size your average 4min song becomes once ripped? I'm thinking of also using FLAC, but I only have a 64GB USB key so I'd like to get an idea of how many songs I'll be fitting on there.

Thanks!

Rob

I find a four minute track takes about 24 MB when compressed using FLAC encoding. USB hard drives are considerably cheaper than USB flash drives for the same amount of storage. 1TB drive costs about $70. But it is possible you may need to reformat with FAT for Model S to read them. I am continuing to experiment with different drives and file systems.

There is a glitch (or extra quiet-time) forced between tracks. I assume this is not what you are seeing? The glitch between tracks is not noticeable on most material, but a few CDs run the music from one track to the next without a break. This works fine playing the physical CD, or a media player on the PC, and on smartphones, but the Tesla audio always sticks an extra 300ms (or so) blank between the tracks that shouldn't exist.

I find a four minute track takes about 24 MB when compressed using FLAC encoding. USB hard drives are considerably cheaper than USB flash drives for the same amount of storage. 1TB drive costs about $70. But it is possible you may need to reformat with FAT for Model S to read them. I am continuing to experiment with different drives and file systems.

Notice that USB hard drives are very likely good old mechanical drives. I can imagine they don't like the forces when you go all lead foot on the car :)

Yeah I'd rather stick to a flash drive. Smaller and less susceptible to environmental issues.
I've been using a Toshiba USB 300GB Hard Drive for 3 years in my last 2 cars and have never had a problem as long as the car system supports them. I am pleased to find the Model S works fine with mine. Specific models are designed to be rugged and portable and I have not found them to be affected by acceleration. You might want to watch temperature extremes, but they are rated for -40 to +65C (smaller range while being used). They are about 10% of the price of the equivalent flash drive. You can get about 40,000 FLAC tracks on a 1TB USB hard drive. Flash drives are fine for MP3, but if you are going to use FLAC the storage size is a big constraint. 1TB of flash storage is probably going to cost around $800 while you can get an equivalent mechanical drive for less than $80.

I've been using a Toshiba USB 300GB Hard Drive for 3 years in my last 2 cars and have never had a problem as long as the car system supports them. I am pleased to find the Model S works fine with mine. Specific models are designed to be rugged and portable and I have not found them to be affected by acceleration. You might want to watch temperature extremes, but they are rated for -40 to +65C (smaller range while being used). They are about 10% of the price of the equivalent flash drive. You can get about 40,000 FLAC tracks on a 1TB USB hard drive. Flash drives are fine for MP3, but if you are going to use FLAC the storage size is a big constraint. 1TB of flash storage is probably going to cost around $800 while you can get an equivalent mechanical drive for less than $80.

Hi interleaf,

Out of curiosity, where do you keep your external HDD in your Tesla? The USB ports are in a place where there's no storage, so I'm wondering what your solution was...

I think the question was about, at least for me it was, are you worried about its visibility in the center storage area making it a target for thieves doing a smash and grab? Or do you move it somewhere hidden when you park in a public place?
A used 300GB hard drive is worth about $25 max, so not much of a thief magnet. I'd be more worried about a flash drive of similar size which would be more like $400 in value and I would keep that in my pocket. All my music is stored on my home computer, so I can easily recreate the disk if necessary. I've never had any concerns about it in the last 3 years. If I were in a really dodgy part of town I suppose I might take the drive with me, but I probably would not park a Model S there in the first place. For me having a large tray on the floor is actually more useful than the CCI. I keep lots of different things there. Log book, small change, pens, phone charger, etc. It's a perfect place for the hard drive to sit. Before the Model S was delivered I planned to buy the CCI when available, but not now I have actually got the car. The standard set up works great for me except for the cup holders being set in an awkward spot.